Amazon Review by Rainan
25 people found the following review helpful
Great Little Powerhouse - Very Satisfied!!
I am a long-time HP loyalist - I know the system, I can work on it and maintain an HP for several years beyond its usual lifespan and I know from experience that HPs are great little workhorses. This laptop in particular delivered everything it promised, plus the security of a familiar system. I am NOT a gamer, so I can't go on and on about graphics or response, but I do love how it handles everyday tasks with no fuss. Now that I have a "big girl job" (full-time, 40+ hours per week, good pay) I knew I could step up my game and purchase not only something I needed but also the features I thought would be fun to enjoy. I was a little uneasy about the price, but now that I've had it for a month I can say the following:
- BEAUTIFUL screen definition, especially with HD video and images.
- Gorgeous design, very clean and minimalist. Just the way I like it! Easy to clean with a touch-screen wipe.
- Boots quickly, with little fuss. I was working on a new book within two hours of opening the box. Even coming out of sleep mode takes only a moment - a HUGE improvement on my last laptop!!
- LIGHT AS A FEATHER. I can carry this little guy around the house in one hand and not worry too much about losing my grip.
- Smooth, seamless transition from laptop to tablet. Not even seconds pass before it's good to go. I have my settings lined up so the auto-rotation barely disturbs my workflow. I feel no resistance when going from laptop to tent to tablet modes, and it's not too loose or too tight in the hinges.
- UNBELIEVABLY QUIET - So far I have not noticed any fan noise.
- So far, I have not noticed any heat issues. It gets a little warm in the lap, but not warm enough to cause me any real concern.
- Wonderful keyboard operation - quiet almost comfortingly subtle key action, no sticky keys, and all the familiar shortcuts work perfectly. I do somewhat miss the numbers pad, but that's only because my job requires LOTS of 10-key data entry and it's really more habit/preference than actual inconvenience. I also like the space between the keys - I can get a Q-tip in there for easy cleaning if I get dust or crumbs on it. The key size in general is very comfortable even for a person with small hands like myself.
- When in tablet mode, I can put it on my lap and there is NO key interference that I can detect.
- Great sound quality from built-in speakers - some tinniness when the volume is at max, but that I believe is to be expected from such a small machine. I haven't played any movies or games on it, so I can't really judge on those parameters.
- EXCELLENT TOUCH RESPONSE - I've pretty much stopped using the track-pad altogether because touching the screen for what I want is faster. Occasionally I'll tap something and something else will happen, but I blame my poor aim. Use a stylus.
- There is some resistance in the USB ports, but I'm sure that'll work itself out. Just don't force it.
- Battery life: I haven't tested it yet, but the specs said I could expect 6+ hours on a full charge. I work at a desk near an outlet so I pretty much leave it plugged in all the time and rarely shut it off. If you know how to treat your electronics, you'll get a feel for how long your machine lasts and what settings will prolong battery life.
- INSANELY FUN TO USE!!!
I would highly recommend this particular model for college students because of its portability and the speed at which it boots and wakes from sleep mode, which is great for shutting and transporting quickly between classes and because it’s quiet enough to not wake your dorm mates. I would certainly recommend this model for people who travel for work because it’s small enough to pack in the average work tote and fits nicely in the lap for working on trains, buses, and long plane trips and because it just handles the usual tasks so efficiently. I would NOT recommend this as a child’s laptop because I just wouldn’t, but you know your kid better than I would.