• Best Buy Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::star: by 5024 customers
    4.8 out of 5
  • Walmart Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::star: by 21 customers
    4.9 out of 5

Features

• Ultrafast 802.11ac Wi-Fi
  • Reach data rates of up to 1.3 Gbps. compatible with devices using the 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, and 802.11ac specifications.
  • Simultaneous dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi support
  • New 6.6-inch height with smaller 3.85-inch base
  • 6 antennas located at the top allows for a faster and more powerful connection. NAT, DHCP, PPPoE, VPN Passthrough (IPSec, PPTP and L2TP), DNS Proxy, IPv6 (6to4 and manual tunnels)
  • Easy setup with Macs and iOS devices. Please note: This product is a Router ONLY and requires a modem to operate
  • NOTE: Check User Manual in Technical Specification before use
  • Buy
  • Don’t buy

0 voters

Amazon Review by Paulmoh :star::star::star::star::star:

1393 people found the following review helpful

Not so technical review from a technical guy

I am a Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE). I am going to describe this router in non technical terms.

This is a replacement router for a Cisco E4200.

there is a lot to like about the new Extreme, I am going to briefly say, it is very easy to setup, you are not overwhelmed by multitudes of blinking lights and the ports are intuitively marked. The Airport Extreme Software is a pleasure to work with. Even if you are challenged by setting up a wireless network, you should know that setting this one up can be as easy as setting up a wireless password. Most features you want upfront are enabled by default. You really don’t need to know much to start your journey.

For you, what will inevitably be an indication of good performance is the range, quality of signal and reliability of each feature so let’s get to it.

The set Up
Verizon FiOS+upgrade
Connected a 2400x1200 Laser Printer via the Ethernetport.
Connected a 2 Terabyte external Hard Drive, in effect turned this in to a Time Capsule
Location, Basement, two floors beneath me, Far North East corner of the house.
Simultaneous connections from a TV to Netflix, a Gaming laptop to Steam, an iPad, A Desktop and everyone’s cell phones at home (hodgepodge of Android and iOS devices)

Performance.
the goal was to tax the CPU, not Monitor Verizon’s network; So the focus was on the router during heavy loads while printing, accessing the hard drive and connecting to the internet.
The processor in this device is very capable, We all decided to hit everything at the same time, I am pleased to report the printer took the same amount of time to print a 250 MB Illustrator File as if it were the only device on the Network, Netflix didn’t miss a beat, transferring 500 GB worth of Data over the air was as fast as if it was the only activity in progress. We monitored the lag progress during an online gaming session. the lag was consistent with past performances. In short, this device will keep up at the high-end of demand for a residential dwelling (and I dare say small to medium sized businesses).

The Range.
This is probably where you will get in to a subjective discussion with other people over what this device can do. Please note, the range is very dependent on your set of restrictions. For this reason we placed the router in the northeast corner of the basement and 2 floor from the indoor range testing site. From a bedroom located 2 floors up and in the Southwest corner of the house, we had a flawless connection to the router with acceptable degradation of signal. A desktop with ac WiFi capability did experience a superior connection. Also the range outside of the house improved greatly, a 50 feet connection from the southwest corner of the yard proved to be reliable for both n, ac and g devices. Oddly enough a Nintendo console with b protocol was experiencing a stronger connection to the router. I don’t know how this could be possible unless the antenna scheme on the router is in fact as good as Apple says it is.

Reliability
Pleased to report this device keeps a steady connection. the drop rate is very low and infrequent.

Security
Apple did a fantastic job here. I could get in to details on why this router is just as good as some Enterprise routers but I think that will put you to sleep.

What should you do?
I am very impressed with this device. The setup is fool-proof and the performance has been excellent, while it is more expensive than other routers in its class, I do believe you get more and if you have a problem, taking it to the Apple Store for Genius consultation will more than make up for any price gap with others. Remember, Range is a highly subjective performance gauge, your situation may not be as clear cut, there maybe more signal interference around you or there maybe more physical obstruction (like really dense walls, floors or ceilings. So for this reason, buy this from a retailer with a liberal return Policy. You can always bring it back and try a different brand.

This router impressed me, enough so that I will be giving a MacBook Pro serious considerations for my next Laptop. The Halo effect certainly worked on me.

Areas of Improvement.

Packaging. I dropped the router after I opened the box. It is nearly impossible for an unsuspecting customer not to do this. Open this box over a bed or somewhere not too high above the floor.

You can access the internal part of the router fairly easily, I opened this and to my surprise, there is space for a 3.5" internal hard drive, I was very excited to see this but further investigation showed that there is no way to connect the hard drive to the logic board. Understandably so! (otherwise why would you buy a Time Capsule) But obviously for me, having an extra hard drive sitting around collecting dust would have given me a way to reuse and recycle.

Good luck with your decision.

Amazon.com - Customer Reviews: Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station (ME918LL/A)

Best Buy Review by DJCypress35 :star::star::star::star::star:

Not so technical review from a technical guy

I purchased a new (latest gen) 2 TB Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme pair to replace my venerable but aging Apple AirPort network. The old network was asked to perform some impossible tasks -- such as providing reliable wi-fi between the two separate buildings that make up my home, as well as to offer decent speed and reliable transmission to allow Skype, FaceTime, and GoToMeeting services to work well without jitter or frame loss. Generally, the equipment was able to deliver, but often I would get strange signal fade due to the saturation of wi-fi in my neighborhood. I had a total of six AirPort Extreme or AirPort Express nodes in the network, and I'd characterize availability at about 99%. Still, getting a strong and reliable signal to some of the outlying locations was challenging through so much drywall, siding, and distance. Thus, my decision to give the latest generation of these products a shot.

Long story made short: I’ve been using the new TimeCapsule and AirPort Extreme for a week now, and they have performed absolutely flawlessly. Based upon a quick test of the new nodes and their beam forming antennae arrays, I decided to take a chance and reduce my rather complex extended AirPort network from the previous six nodes down to a total of two latest-gen units (the two I am reviewing here) and one of the older AirPort Express units in my garage. I consistently get a transmit rate of 243 Mbps between the new nodes, and a solid 54 Mbps with the 802.11b node in the garage. Performance has been flawless, and I have had zero problems with connection drops, channel drift (as a result of spectrum congestion), or choppy performance. This, despite the location of the Time Capsule in a fully enclosed closet, and the distant (100 feet-plus) Airport Extreme in an office space surrounded on three sides by wall, siding, and filing cabinets.

As I intended to replace the previous Time Capsule, I decided to setup the entire new network from scratch. It went without a hitch, and I was able to completely modernize, implement the new network (with WPA2 security and a 5 GHz alternate service) in about 30 minutes. All computer nodes immediately recognized the new nodes and, aside from having to perform complete (but now very fast) Time Machine backups from all Mac nodes in the house, the wi-fi service has performed solidly and flawlessly.

Packaging for the new AirPorts was typical Apple; very well packaged in quality materials that I intend to keep so that I can reuse the packaging when it comes time to sell these units. The equipment was well wrapped in tack-back plastic wrap to protect the plastic components from scratches. The units themselves feel very substantial in the hand – again, typical Apple quality. And I didn’t need to consult any of the documentation even once during the setup. Again, typical Apple intuitive setup and configuration.

In conclusion, this has been an outstanding purchase and implementation; the products did exactly what I hoped they would do, and they have performed flawlessly to date. Five stars for the product. Five stars for typical Amazon fast, hassle-free delivery via my Prime membership

Bestbuy.com - Customer Reviews: Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station (ME918LL/A)

Walmart Review by Roxxxie :star::star::star::star::star:

36 people found the following review helpful

Second Apple Airport Extreme Base Station

The Airport Extreme Base Station (Gen 4) was purchased in January 2010, still working and going strong, it is now being used as an extender to this new Airport Extreme Base Station.

Wanted more coverage into the far end of the house, this router does that and more. Before I extended the network, this router was reaching the garage with excellent coverage when I metered it, but now with the older Airport Extreme Base station as an extender, it extends well past the garage.

Nothing but positive comments on the Airport Extreme Base Station, it one of the easiest routers on the market to configure and set up that is available. Offers great WIFI coverage and security.

I have used other brands, but none of them beat this for reliability and longevity. Maybe more expensive than the others, but you do not have to replace it every two years. Airport’s easy set up, great coverage and reliability can not be beat.

Walmart.com - Customer Reviews: Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station (ME918LL/A)

thanks

Apple's new Airport base stations are so pretty and full of magic

@nolie not sure