ASUS ZenBook 3 UX390UA-XH74-BL 12.5-inch Ultra-Slim Lightweight Laptop ( Intel KabyLake Core i7 7500U 2.7GHz Processor, 16GB 2133Mhz DDR3, 512GB SSD, Windows 10 Professional 64bit ) Review ⭐⭐⭐:halfstar::emptystar:

asus-computers

To Buy Or Not Summary

:star::star::star::halfstar::emptystar: by 59 customers
3.5 out of 5
  • Amazon Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::halfstar::emptystar: by 56 customers
    3.5 out of 5
  • Best Buy Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::emptystar: by 3 customers
    4.0 out of 5

Features

• Incredibly Powerful with Intel Core i7 2.7GHz 7500U Processor and 16GB of 2133MHz DDR3 Memory
  • ASUS Craftsmanship delivers an Ultra-Thin 0.5-inch profile with a 2-pound lightweight unibody design
  • Our Toughest ZenBook designed with Premium Aerospace-grade Aluminum and Corning Gorilla Glass 4
  • With the built-in fingerprint sensor in the touchpad and Windows Hello, there’s no need to type in your password
  • For the ZenBook 3, Harman Kardon and the ASUS Golden EarTM Team joined forces to produce unsurpassed distortion-free sound with their SonicMasterTM 4-Channel, 5-magnet, Quad-Speaker, Smart-Amp Audio technology
  • Buy
  • Don’t buy

0 voters

Amazon Review by Kindle Customer :star::star::star::star::emptystar:

53 people found the following review helpful

Small, Thin, Light and Speedy --Great Battery Life, But Sadly, Needs to Be Repaired...

This is my third ASUS (I've liked their computers), but my first ultra-portable, and it's shockingly thin and light. This ASUS ZenBook 3- UX39OUA, at 2.09 lbs and a 12.5" screen, has squeezed in an incredible amount of power into it's thin 0.47" frame. It has Intel's 7th gen "KabyLake" i7 core processor, with the "i7-7500U" CPU specifically, which is the top of it's line. It has the capacity for 16GB of 2133MHz LPDDR3 RAM and 512GB PClE Gen 3 SSD. The power and speed are readily apparent in the near instantaneous sleep/ awake and power on/off, as well as the smoothness and lack of delay/ jog while having multiple programs running at the same time. This comes with Win 10 Pro, and is not excessively bloated with add-ons- but you are prompted a few times to install their recommended apps and try free (and trial) cloud storage options (and this w the custom install). Overall, though, not a bad experience to set up.

The 40 Wh lithium-polymer battery is very long lasting- the longest of any laptop i’ve ever tried or owned, and i was able to use it for nearly ten hours before recharge. It also has a square fingerprint reader on the upper right side of the trackpad, which worked impressively well overall, recognizing my print in about 8 out of 10 tries, in speedy fashion-The trackpad itself, which is slick like glass- because it is glass (coated), apparently-, is extremely responsive to all my very light taps, and is among the best I have used.

The laptop frame is surprisingly sturdy and rigid, considering its extreme thinness, and the edges of the body rounded and clean- just sharp enough to convey precision, but not sharp enough to feel unpleasant. The keyboard and buttons are really very large- almost too large- as i’m used to typing on small (under 12") portables, and it’s an odd surprise to have what feels like excess space on the big, perfectly flat buttons, with the sensation that i’m almost reaching for letters. There is nearly no margin around the keyboard at all- the keys almost touch the edges on both the left and right sides and there is also very little margin between the keys themselves. The keys are very short, and nearly flat to the face. I have to confess that I don’t like the muted feel of the flat keys, that have no satisfying “click” sensation. There is a blue-toned back-light in the keyboard, however, adjustable to 3 levels.

The audio is by the (his)storied harman/kardon, makers of the some of the very first hi-fi equipment. The “harman/kardon” moniker is etched under the arrow keys. There are four speakers: two upward facing below the screen, and two downward facing near the wrist positions. The sound is crystal clear and sharp, and nearly too clear (CD vs. vinyl type) for my taste. I believe this may be due to weakness at the deeper/lower bass tones, and lack of space for physical reverberations- but sound is somewhat subjective. Video-wise, the screen has 1920 x 1080 (1080p), which looks very clear for the screen size, but does not compare to the power of MacBook’s 2304 x 1440–not a deal breaker, and unless you absolutely need the increased clarity, you might find that the improved battery life will outweigh the slightly lower pixelation. I found the screen to be easy on the eyes, and a perfect matte, looking straight on, even though it is Gorilla glass. Viewing from angles or with a light source from behind, however, you will see unpleasant reflections.

A significant negative, which others have already pointed out, and which you can see clearly from the pics and descriptions from ASUS, is the lack of ports- the ZenBook 3 has only two ports: one USB-C (3.1 Gen 1) and a headphone jack. Worse, the USB-C also doubles as the power adapter, so you can pretty much either have a port, or have a power source but not both at the same time. To get around this limitation, ASUS has included a small white “Mini Dock” which gives you an extra HDMI and a USB 3.0 Type-A, in addition to the USB-C power adapter (no data transfer on this). At least know you are dealing with this weakness upfront. Unfortunately, this powerful laptop is also not compatible with the Thunderbolt 3 technology, so if you are uploading or manipulating (increasingly used) large files, such as 4K- 360 degree videos such as I do, you won’t be pleased with the unnecessary bottleneck, and any other “Mini Dock” type adapters you may already have, using the technology will of course be less effective. One final annoyance is the rather loud fan. It sounds like a white noise maker on full-setting, or charitably, the sound of the ocean, but i left this laptop on my bed for an hour, and it was fairly warm on the bottom (right side), and the fan had kicked in. I placed it on a flat hard surface, and the heat subsided and the fan slowed (lower sound) and then stopped after about five minutes.

I do like this machine though- the power and beauty and ultra portability of this machine ; the providing of the mini dock and a stitched, laptop case/envelope w magnetic closure; the incredible battery life-- all things which may outweigh the disadvantages-- but it really depends on your needs. I value the portability and power most, so this is a laptop that works for me, but would not be my only laptop.

Update: Yesterday, my ZenBook developed a flashing blackout on part of the screen, which seemed to have appeared after I switched out an anti-virus- or perhaps when I installed Chrome. I recovered to an earlier point (did not work), then did a quick factory reset -keeping my files (did not work), and then re-installed the video drivers- still the flashing. i contacted ASUS helpline 24/7- it was late/ early in the morning, and I was surprised to reach a human so quickly- they told me this was within warranty (12mo), and the repairs would be free, but that I’d pay for shipping one way. I did a full factory reset (no saving of files this time), and the flashing subsided for a few hours before starting again. I’m impressed with the responsive service by ASUS, but not with the flashing. Hopefully you have better luck.

Amazon.com - Customer Reviews: ASUS ZenBook 3 UX390UA-XH74-BL 12.5-inch Ultra-Slim Lightweight Laptop ( Intel KabyLake Core i7 7500U 2.7GHz Processor, 16GB 2133Mhz DDR3, 512GB SSD, Windows 10 Professional 64bit )

Best Buy Review by Suzzeee :star::star::star::star::star:

Fabulous small powerful laptop!

I love my new Asus Zenbook... this is one of the latest offerings from Asus and for some will take a bit of getting used to... it has only two ports.... one to connect speakers and one USB - type 3.1 (C) thus you will be adding a dock to this most likely. It does come with a dongle that will allow you to connect a monitor/printer but not much else. After a lot of searching, I discovered that the Asus dock that I planned to buy is not available for sale in the US. We ended up with a Plugable dock that is working perfectly! Note: This does not have the Thunderbolt option -- only USB C (3.1).

Bestbuy.com - Customer Reviews: ASUS ZenBook 3 UX390UA-XH74-BL 12.5-inch Ultra-Slim Lightweight Laptop ( Intel KabyLake Core i7 7500U 2.7GHz Processor, 16GB 2133Mhz DDR3, 512GB SSD, Windows 10 Professional 64bit )