• Walmart Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::star: by 3 customers
    5.0 out of 5

Features

• 30.4 MP full-frame CMOS sensor for versatile shooting
  • Up to 7.0 frames per second continuous shooting speed
  • 61-point AF system with 41 cross-points for expanded vertical coverage
  • ISO range 100-32000 with 50-102400 expansion
  • 4K video recording at 30p or 24p and in-camera still frame grab of 8.8MP images
  • Touch-screen LCD monitor
  • Buy
  • Don’t buy

0 voters

Amazon Review by Painter of Stories :star::star::star::star::star:

433 people found the following review helpful

15 Reasons to buy and 6 reasons not to buy

The Canon 5D Mark IV is one of the most anticipated cameras. Mark III users and other camera enthusiasts are pondering if they should make the upgrade or jump ship. I purchased this camera from B&H so it wont show that I own it and I will updated this review as I continue. Now, a bit about my background, I shoot weddings for a living after retiring from more than 40 years of running my other businesses. I have watched every Mark IV Youtube videos available before its release so that I would know exactly what to look for upon receiving the camera. Here is the good, the bad and the ugly.

Reasons to buy

1. 30.4 MP full-frame provides the ideal file size for wedding photographers who have to process thousands of photos. The image was large enough for cropping but not too large to slow down my workflow. However there is a better choice for landscape photographers, the 5DSR and Nikon D810 with higher resolution. Having a higher pixel count has many advantages and in some way allows the Mark IV to be more effective than the 7D Mark ii other than it is slower at 7fps. The Mark IV has about one stop better ISO and DR (dynamic range) performance and this means I can comfortably use ISO 1600 instead of 800 to double my shutter speed. In wildlife photography, especially birding, the crop sensor 7DM2 is extremely difficult to frame birds in flight whereas the Mark IV allows you to capture a wider image and crop later in post. Please keep in mind that you will not have the same reach with the Mark IV as the 7DM2 when cropped to the same resolution (30/1.6/1.6=11.7 MP). Of course we should always try to fill the frame by using a longer lens or best to get closer to the subject but that is not always possible.
  2. Seven frames per second continuous shooting speed. Sounds like just one extra frame improvement from the Mark III but read on, the faster processor and bigger buffer are what made the difference. Buffer did not get filled up if I shot jpg but maxed out at about 40 frames with sRAW and 10fps with RAW (The claim of being able to continuously shoot 21 pure RAW pictures is untrue, at least I was able to accomplish that with the fastest memory card) and it continued to shoot at about 4fps in sRAW (appx only 25% of the Raw resolution, something I would avoid using unless I know they are going to be casually loaded on Facebook and in that case you may as well shoot jpeg, mRAW is a bit better about 57% of the RAW resolution. Even after the buffer was full, the Mark IV continuously shot at 2fps in RAW for as long as I held the shutter. Extra frame over the Mark III is nice because you may just miss that first kiss. But the frame rate is not the biggest improvement, not as important as how fast it can clear the buffer and how it allows you to operate regardless of a full buffer. For wildlife or sports the Mark IV can unload a full buffer 4 times faster than A7Rii, in about 5 seconds vs. 20 seconds. This makes it impossible to use the A7Rii for actions, especially when it drops to 0.5 fps (one frame every 2 seconds, 4 times slower than the Mark IV) after the buffer is full. I tried the A7Rii frame rate in both compressed and uncompressed modes with the same result. The conclusion is I would never use an A7Rii for birding or sports but I would gladly take the Mark IV with me anytime. These experiments were conducted with the 128mb Class 10 U3 Lexar and Transcend memory cards independently in each camera. However for pro sports shooter, I am sure the 1Dx Mark II would be a better choice as it is faster with bigger buffer.
  3. Focus. This is the most important feature for my application and it is where Canon shines. It has the same 61-point AF system with 41 cross-type but with expanded vertical coverage compared to the Mark III. But I dont see much usage for the vertical coverage, may be more horizontal coverage. In low light the mark IV focuses faster than the Mark III, Nikon D810 and Sony A7Rii with higher hit rate which is another big reason for Mark III users to upgrade. In live view, the Dual Pixel focus speed is much faster than Mark III which still uses contrast detection. This works well for photo as well as video. It is very intelligent and tracks quite well even when the subjects face is turned away. Dual pixel is accomplished when each pixel in the sensor is split in half, capturing a left and a right image. These images are processed and compared in nanoseconds to attain focus. The Mark IV algorism is superior to just face detection. It can track object, for example it can follow the bride’s shoe. However it is always going to be slower to focus than spot focus because the processor has to work continuously. Dual pixel AF comes in extremely handy and that alone is worth the upgrade. This is something the A7Rii has but the A7Sii is lacking. In live view, the focus area select is limited to 3 options instead of 7, track, spot and expanded. It can be changed with the “Q” button only in live view mode and can not be adjusted with the AF area select button. IMO, Canon’s strength is on focus speed, despite of how much I like the IQ on my A7Rii, it has less focus hit rate on action shots than Mark III or IV. The Mark III and IV will continue to be the go to camera for wedding photographers.
  4. ISO range 100-32000 with 50-102400 expansion. ISO noise is improved from the Mark III by about one and half stop, usable at 1600 in my opinion. I noticed there are less color noise than the Mark III and the grains are finer due to a higher resolution sensor. This is really helpful for low light shots which require a faster lens than F2.8. Even though the ISO has improved from the Mark III, a reason to buy but it still has more banding and noise than the A7Rii. The D810, A7Rii and A7Sii are still the low light monsters.
  5. Touch-screen LCD monitor. Finally Canon makes it easier for us photographers and you can use both the buttons and the touch-screen simultaneously. Yes, there are certain menu that can be navigated quicker with the dials so it is brilliant you can do both. There is also a confirmation tone after you have tapped the item. The screen is higher res than Mark III and as sensitive and accurate as my iphone. Reviewing photos on camera has never been so easy. Scroll, pinch, swipe and tap, it is so fast to navigate, again a feature D810, A7Sii and A7Rii lacks. Resolution on the screen is 1,620,000 vs Nikon D810 at 1,229,000 and Mark III at 1,040,000.
  6. Dual Pixel Raw. With the dual images generated from the split pixel, Canon cleverly processes them as Dual Pixel Raw allowing post micro focus adjustments. This is good to have for wedding and portrait photographers, as you can fix minor focus problem in post at appx. half inch focal range so don’t expect miracles and it is a hassle to use with double the size file. Currently, Lightroom does not support this feature at the moment so the workflow is painfully slow using DPP Application. Adobe has announced that they will support Dual Pixel Raw so this is a temporary problem.
  7. Weather sealing should be improved but it is hard to prove. But with Canons legendary quality, I believe they did borrow the technique from the 7D.
  8. DR (Dynamic Range) has been greatly improved. The shadow has a lot less noise than previous models. Increase latitude to push shadow for under exposed area and the ability to retain detail over the 5D Mark III and 6D is truly incredible. Canon’s claim on increase DR is 100% true, the difference is so obvious that it makes me hesitates pulling my favorite Mark III out of the bag. DR is still a bit shy from A7Rii but greatly improved from the Mark III and 6D. It can now compete with any full frame head to head. If I am buying a still camera for just the DR, the A7Rii or the Nikon D810 will be the choice but the Mark IV is just so much better in so many other arenas.
  9. Wifi and GPS. Uploading photos to phone to share in social media has never been easier and I am glad Canon has finally caught up with the trend. There is a second setting in the GPS menu that let you shut down GPS when power is off. This is extremely helpful in saving power which the 7D Mark ii is lacking.
  10. Improve handling. The grip is more comfortable than the Mark III. I have medium size hands, I own and tried many cameras, the Mark IV has the most comfortable grip for me. The rubber has been improved from the Mark III. It is more secure and comfortable to hold.
  11. Third party gear. The popularity of the Canon lens system makes owning this camera a dream as it has created an extremely strong third party support. For example the Metabone adapter which works wonders on the Canon lenses, allowing me to share the glass and to use the Sony A7Rii as my main video camera and Canon 5D Mark IV as my still camera. The combination of these two cameras is perhaps one of the best systems to use for weddings. Despite of how much I like Nikon’s IQ, I could not share its lenses with Sony to obtain auto focus with an adapter. This is the main reason I purchased this camera. I want to make it clear that I am not associated or paid by any parties for this review.
  12. Canon added the extra AF area selection button which can be used for quick ISO adjustment. Under CUSTOM CONTROL on the last icon at the bottom you can set this button to adjust ISO with the front dial. This extra button makes adjusting ISO on the fly a single step process. I change ISO quite often between indoor and outdoor during the reception so this comes in quite handy. Basically Canon has added a third wheel for the ISO similar to that of the A7Rii, except it is better because my A7Rii ISO wheel often gets accidentally bumped.
  13. HDR video. I can save blown out highlights shot in this mode for about 1 to 2 stops. However, it will only shoot in 30FPS at 1080P because it actually shoots in 60FPS and combine the 2 frames in HDR. This mode is not available in 4K since the limit is 30FPS.
  14. Country of Origin. 5D Mark IV is made in Japan, Sony A7Rii, A7Sii and Nikon D810 are made in Thailand. This can be viewed as a bias opinion but I have always had better luck with products Made in Japan. I think, this is the main reason why Canon is more expensive with less features compared other brands. I am a heavy shooter and my 5D Mark III is 3 years old, never had a single issue and my Sony A7Rii broke twice in less than a year.
  15. Multi Shot NR (Noise Reduction). In this mode the camera takes 4 quick consecutive shots and process them to reduce noise. This allows you to shoot in much higher ISO with noticeable improvement in IQ but remember to keep your hands steady (no tripod needed) and it only works in jpeg. How is this different than stopping down 2 stops on the shutter speed? The Mark IV takes 4 images separately, process and align them to produce less noise verses stopping down the shutter which causes motion blurs. When I run out of options in low light, I would switch from RAW to JPG and change to this mode. You will find the photos quite usable even at ISO 3200.

Reasons not to buy

1. LPF- Low Path Filter. Canon could easily remove this filter but chose not to. My take on this, is that Canon is very conservative and they chose to sacrifice sharpness over Moire for many reasons. On my A7Rii I do occasionally see Moire, for example power lines so this is a preference and may not be judged as a defect. Read up on
    http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/126621-Understanding-the-Low-Pass-Filter-Effect-Cancellation-Issue-What-You-Must-Know-About-Canon’s-Two-New-50-Megapixel-Camera-Bodies
    However, I would rather choose sharpness and risk Moire such as in the Canon 5DSR design. This is where Nikon and Sony shine, their IQ is sharper without the LPF but with slight risk of Moire.
  2. 4K video recording is perhaps the worst feature Canon has added to this camera. Motion jpeg creates a warping appx. 240GB file size in just one hour of record time. Also due to the 1.74x crop, I was unable to shoot wide even with a 16-35mm, not to mention the less than okay low light quality. On the up side the Mark IV allows you to frame grab at 8.8MP which gives me better IQ compared to frame grabbed from A7Sii. My assistant can now shoot backup photos at 30fps continuously in critical moments. If you intend to frame grab, I highly recommend that the shutter speed is set to 1/125 or higher otherwise most of the frames would not be usable. Canon should have given us another codec option with better compression and not worry about cannibalizing their pro cinema line. Their near sight leaves the door open for Sony and Nikon. The way Sony is progressing with Nikon’s dependency of Sony’s sensor, I estimate both Canon and Nikon’s dominance on the pro market will not last more than a decade. For now I would keep my Canon lenses and keep my fingers cross that they will up their game.
  3. No Tilt screen. Some may wonder why Canon didnt put this in the Mark IV. My guess is that the tilt screen makes the camera less rugged, harder to seal and both Canon and Nikon want to make their pro gear bullet proof. The toughness of Canon gear is one of the main reasons I use it exclusively for weddings. Its sad to say that my Sony A7Rii gave me a Camera Error message in just a few months of light usage (I couldnt fix it even after doing a hardware reset) and my Mark III lasted for years. Do I wish for the tilt screen? Canon and Nikon both should listen carefully, I want the tilt screen even if I have to sacrifice some durability and weather resistance.
  4. Weight body only is 800g (Not including 90g battery) appx 2 pounds (1 pound=454g), it is 60 grams lighter than the Mark III and 30g heavier than Canon’s lightest full frame 6D but still much heavier than the GH4 and A7Rii (625g including battery). I use the Click Camera Holster from Turbo Ace and the weight is not an issue as I could barely felt it during my entire trip in Africa.
  5. The memory card is outdated and slow Canon should have used Cfast.
  6. No EVF. EVF has many advantages operating in the dark. You can see what the sensor sees instead of everything pitch dark coming from the mirror which makes composition and exposure harder. With EVF, if you are under exposed by not paying attention to the meter, you will immediately notice and make the correction. Here is a unique idea, Canon can add an EVF next to the current view finder as it will be extremely useful for shooting video under the bright sun. It can be retracted like the RX100 but with Canon I don’t think that would ever happen. Most would agree without the EVF, the DSLR will be not be able to compete with Mirrorless in video features. This is one of the reasons that Canon is trying to separate still from video on their DSLR line up and steer video shooters to their cinema line . I am not paid by Canon, Sony or any third party. IMO, Sony is better on video and Canon is better on photos.

Important update: As of 9/24/2016 the raw files from Mark IV is supported in Lightroom CC but not in LR 5. No older versions of LR get any updates when there is a new version available. You can use the newest version of the Free Adobe DNG converter Ver 9.7 to convert the native RAW files to DNG’s that LR 5 can read.

In conclusion, the photo quality of the Mark IV has been improved remarkably from the Mark III but if you want to shoot video, this is definitely a no buy and I would only use it as a backup. Canon is facing some real competitions on sensor technology but amazingly it is still able to keep up on the photography side. For Canon to survive this market in the long term, it has to either heavily invest in mirrorless technology or to follow Nikon’s foot print to use Sony’s sensor. But to compete in price with the added features Canon may have to make it in Thailand. It’s not Canon does not have the ability to make better sensors, just that it is unable to drive cost down to compete in the DSLR market. Imaging the Mark V with Sonys video specifications and Canons brilliant stills technology, may be a reason Sony will never sell its sensors to Canon. The way Sony and Nikon are progressing, I think they are the choice for the all around video and still cameras. Now Canon is hanging on threats relying on its market dominance created through the decades. Most Canon photographers are ready to jump ship, some already did and Canon engineers absolutely have to get on the edge of their chairs to hold on its crown. I sure hope that they will get their act together with all my investment in all the Canon lenses. The Mark IV in video application has inadequate codec selection (biggest killer is file size), lack of zebra, focus peaking, over cropping in 4K mode which affects not only focal length but also ISO performance. The only advantage is its dual pixel AF but the cons out weight the pros. For now, as a photographer, if you own Nikon, stay with Nikon for its great IQ, the Mark IV features are evolution not revolution and they are still not worth the switch. If you are serious about shooting both stills and video buy this camera and the A7Sii or A7Rii and share the lenses with the Metabone Adapter. One thing that I did not mention about the advantage of DSLR over mirrorless is that the sensor stays clean whereas my A7Rii sensor had to be cleaned 3 times during my last 30 day trip. A lot of my pictures had spots which took hours of Photoshop. In the DSLR, the mirror basically acts as a shield during lens change. Sensor cleaning is a huge hassle (almost impossible without leaving some smear even after trying out multiple sensor cleaners) and I hesitated swapping lens on many occasions on all my mirrorlesses. If you shoot mostly photos buy this camera and never look back, IMO, it is the best all around stills camera in 2016.

Amazon.com - Customer Reviews: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Full Frame Digital SLR Camera Body

Best Buy Review by MONDOTREKKER :star::star::star::star::star:

Fabulous Camera!!!

I am in awe of this camera! It's my first full frame DSLR camera which I selected after many hours of research. Research can drive one crazy as there's so much material (ads, videos, reviews, reviewer's and personal preferences, etc.) to read before making a decision about such a large purchase. Do the research though to make sure you get the right camera for you. After nearly 3 weeks in Europe I'm sure I made the right choice. Performance was flawless and operation was easy on this feature-rich camera, Menus are complete, concise and rational. This is hugely important as making adjustments is fast - no searching through excessive or confusing menus to find what you need. While some camera menus systems are good some are absolutely Byzantine! Canon's is, IMO, the best. This is also my first Canon after being a lifetime Nikon shooter. Solid construction and great materials are evident. Button layout and overall ergonomics provide me the easiest handling for a camera of this size and weight. Other cameras of this level (which were all great) just didn't seem as easy to handle or were as nimble in my hands. Not having any full frame lenses made the brand change easy for me. As is said "One buys a camera but marries the lens system." IMO it is difficult if not impossible to beat Canon L glass. Some reviewers did not rate this camera at the top for video performance but the few videos I experimented with looked really excellent to me. I'm not a skilled videographer so take that into account. Still shots are off the chart amazing though. The features of this camera are mind-boggling! I was able to learn a limited number of features and modes before my trip so I was able to get some amazing shots. I expect better after I've read the rest of the 600+ page owner's manual. This is a serious camera one grows into and it will remain functionally relevant for a very long time. I LOVE THIS CAMERA..

Bestbuy.com - Customer Reviews: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Full Frame Digital SLR Camera Body

thanks

Canon 5D Mark IV | Unboxing Video

Walmart Review by pava :star::star::star::star::star:

1 people found the following review helpful

Fantastic camera

One of the best cameras I have ever had. It has 30Mpix full frame sensor which allows you to take beautiful image you can print out on your wall

Walmart.com - Customer Reviews: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Full Frame Digital SLR Camera Body

@marko this is a good product