Canon EOS Rebel T6 Digital SLR Camera Kit with EF-S 18-55mm and EF 75-300mm Zoom Lenses (Black) Review ⭐⭐⭐⭐:halfstar:

canon

To Buy Or Not Summary

:star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 2025 customers
4.7 out of 5
  • Amazon Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 244 customers
    4.7 out of 5
  • Best Buy Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 1744 customers
    4.7 out of 5
  • Walmart Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 37 customers
    4.6 out of 5

Features

• 18.0 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) image sensor and high-performance DIGIC 4+ Image Processor for excellent speed and quality.
  • ISO 100-6400 (expandable to H: 12800) for shooting from bright light to low light.
  • Built-in Wi-Fi* and NFC** connectivity provide easy sharing to compatible smart devices, select social media sites and the Canon Connect Station CS100 device.
  • 9-point AF system (including one center cross-type AF point) and AI Servo AF provide impressive autofocus performance with accurate results.
  • High-performance Optical Viewfinder helps facilitate quick and accurate focusing by firmly framing and capturing the subject at hand.
  • Buy
  • Don’t buy

0 voters

Amazon Review by Chris Winter :star::star::star::star::star:

365 people found the following review helpful

A perfect Beginner's DSLR in a small and lightweight body

BUILD QUALITY

To start off this review, lets first take a look at the build quality of this lens.
The first thing youre going to notice is just how small this camera is for a dslr. The T6 is one of the smallest DSLRs you can buy from Canon and pretty much any company for that matter.
But to me, thats not a bad thing. Being a very lightweight camera can sometimes mean youre more inclined to pick it up and take it out with you, rather than being worried thats its going to be too heavy.

On the top of the camera right here weve got all of the buttons that youd expect to see on a beginner dslr and also this mode dial which allows you to select the mode you want to be in.

Of course youve got all of the basic beginner modes, like sports and portraits etc, but also aperture, shutter and manual modes for when you want to get a little bit more advanced.

The buttons on the back are actually pretty nice. I would have preferred to have had the menu and display button on the top however as I use them pretty often.

So overall the cameras build is good for what it is, a lightweight dslr, but id always be a little bit careful with this type of body.

Oh and guys if you want to see some sample images Ive taken with the Canon t6, ill put a link in the description box below under this video and you can check them out.

LCD SCREEN

So lets turn this camera around now and talk about the screen.

Weve got a 3 inch screen on the back which has 920,000 dots and after testing it out for a while, it actually looks pretty good.

Even in bright daylight it was actually pretty easy to see.

It is however missing something that I really do like to see and thats an articulating screen.

Whereas on cameras like the Canon t6i and t6s, you can swivel your screen around to get better composition, with the t6 your kind of forced to take the photo even if you cant see the screen.

And thats a bit of a pity to me and something I would have liked to have seen. I also would have liked to have seen a touch screen on the back of this camera, because theyre especially good for beginners.

The screen itself is actually pretty nice, but id like to see those improvements made in the next camera.

MENUS

So lets quickly talk about the menus on the T6.

If youve ever used a Canon camera before youll feel right at home with the menu system. Its incredible easy to get around and change the settings you need.

A little tip is that if you switch the dial on the top to manual mode, youll get a lot more settings that you can change which can be great.

Again it would have been nice to have a touch screen to make it quicker to change the settings not eh fly, but this little d pad right here isnt too bad and its pretty responsvie.

So overall the menus are good, but make sure to check out more of the fearless in manual mode.

WIFI & NFC

So one of the new inclusions to the Canon T6 is wifi & nfc.

So essentially what this allows you to do is connect your camera to your phone and do a number of things like transfer your photos and also get a live view of what your shooting.

To me this is the perfect camera to have this feature, because its targeting a younger generation of users who love to share their photos on instagram and Facebook.

It was pretty easy to setup the wifi, but not as intuitive as the 80d that i tested a few weeks ago.

BURST MODE & AUTOFOCUS

So lets talk about the burst mode of the Canon T6.

So essentially what this means is how fast the camera can take photos in a row per second.

The Canon T6 isnt super quick and can only shoot 3 shots per second.

Now most of the time when you take a photo youll only be taking one shot anyway so it wont make a big difference, but if you want to take some photos at a sports game or of a bird, this might not be the best camera for you.

Autofocus in stills mode is actually surprisingly good, its snappy and should be fast enough for most situations. Now the lens that comes with the camera isnt great, and is noisy in autofocus, but if you can get passed the noise, which sounds bit like a bee, itll work pretty well in well lit situations.

VIDEO

So lets talk about using this camera for video.

Its pretty basic for video and will be fine for day to day videos.

Unfortunately though the autofocus in video isnt great.

The lens that comes in the kit with the t6 isnt an stm lens, which means its not going to have smooth and responsive af in video mode.

My tip would be to switch it over to manual focus o the lens and then just shoot like that.

One thing howver though which was good to see is that we have full manual control over our video and audio settings.

Where as on some older rebel cameras, you could only shoot in auto mode, the t6 does allow to have some manual control. We are missing a microphone jack though unfortunately, so if you are in need of some better audio, I might advise looking at the t6i and t6s.

PRICE & VALUE FOR MONEY

So lets talk about price and more importantly value for money.

Now the T6 comes in at $549, which is one of the cheapest DSLRs you can buy on the market today.

You also get a lens with that so all you need to get up and running after that is an sd card and youre good.

To me its not a bad price, but there are definitely some very competitive options that I might look at, for example if you pay just a few hundred dollars more you can get a Canon t6i which is very good camera.

So overall the Canon t6 isnt a bad little camera, and for beginners, itll be a lot of fun to learn on. If youve never owned a dslr this is a good camera to learn on, but if you want to go a little further with your dslr, Id definitely be looking at a camera like the Canon t6i or t6s.

Amazon.com - Customer Reviews: Canon EOS Rebel T6 Digital SLR Camera Kit with EF-S 18-55mm and EF 75-300mm Zoom Lenses (Black)

Walmart Review by bigdaddy133592 :star::star::star::star::star:

6 people found the following review helpful

Canon Rebel Camera

Camera is much better picture quality than cell phone. No lag when taking action shots. Extended lens for greater focus. Priced reasonably.

Walmart.com - Customer Reviews: Canon EOS Rebel T6 Digital SLR Camera Kit with EF-S 18-55mm and EF 75-300mm Zoom Lenses (Black)

Best Buy Review by EeeTee :star::star::star::star::star:

Great intro level DSLR

This camera is a full featured entry level DSLR - if you are a seasoned pro you'll want to go with one of the pricier models, but if you are new to DSLR cameras and are looking to step up from a point and shoot camera to something much more powerful, this is a fine first step. This camera gives you full control over most parameters of your photography, but includes a broad spectrum of presets and automation as well that lets you work your way up to using all the manual tools - if you are a beginner, this camera will carry you for a few years before you begin chafing for something a bit more substantial! The camera body is light and solidly built - all the controls are accessible via buttons on the exterior of the camera as well as through an easily navigable menu. The view screen is generous and bright, easily readable in most settings. The camera also offers a viewfinder which is very helpful when shooting in high glare settings (or when you forget to bring your glasses with you!) The included lenses cover a good range of distances, but you may want to invest in a wide angle lens - a good 12-20mm for getting more into your images (although most of the better ones out there will actually cost more than your camera did). The 75-300mm zoom lens will get you in close to many subjects, but don't expect it to compete with some of those 80x zooms you see on point and shoot cameras! Changing out lenses is easy and fast. There are ample settings for one shot, continuous shot, and timed delay shooting, so if you are shooting an active event you can get some great movement shots, and if you want to get into the picture yourself, its easy to do. When shooting in continuous mode, the camera will pause after five shots to let the data catch up - I've found that three shots is the gets keeps me from getting that delay. Both of these lenses shoot a little on the slow side. There is a slight hesitation after pressing the shutter release. I've also noticed that although the 18-55mm kit lens is equipped with an anti-shake feature, it really doesn't do much. So - consider adding a tripod to your purchase too! The picture quality is excellent - I always shoot in RAW and this camera offers six RAW quality settings and the same for JPEG. Or you can choose to shoot both simultaneously if you don't know a lot about the formats and want to learn. Its great to have both formats to do side by side comparisons. This camera does not have an infrared sensor, so if you wish to use a remote, you'll have to use the Canon Camera Connect mobile app - it is available for both IOS and Android devices (sadly not for Windows 10 mobile devices though!). In addition to letting you control your camera remotely, the mobile apps also let you view the pictures on your camera on the bigger screens of your smartphone (I use my iPad - and its great to see a real time image for composition on that screen - believe me!) The app is pretty easy to use and so far I've found it to be stable and reliable, although more so on my iPad than on my Android phone. This camera is also capable of shooting HD movies and that is a terrific feature - but keep in mind, you'll have to master your lenses in order to stay in focus and do efficient zooms and pans. Overall this is a great camera. Canon lenses can be used on all their DSLR's, so when you are ready to upgrade to a more professional camera back, you'll be able to keep your lens kit and accessories.

Bestbuy.com - Customer Reviews: Canon EOS Rebel T6 Digital SLR Camera Kit with EF-S 18-55mm and EF 75-300mm Zoom Lenses (Black)