4.1 out of 5
  • Amazon Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::emptystar: by 365 customers
    4.1 out of 5

Features

• 12x Optical Zoom (25-300mm)
  • 20.0 Megapixel sensor combined with the DIGIC 4+ Image Processor
  • Shoot 720p HD video with a dedicated movie button
  • Smart AUTO intelligently selects the proper settings for the camera based on predefined shooting situations
  • ECO Mode helps reduce power consumption for longer battery life
  • Buy
  • Don’t buy

0 voters

Amazon Review by Yarii (cat mom) :star::star::star::star::star:

296 people found the following review helpful

A good basic point & shoot camera that takes great video

First of all, if you're wanting one of the newest Elph models and you're on a budget, choose the ELPH 170 IS over the ELPH 160, which is also new on the market. The 170 IS has better image stabilization.

I purchased this camera for a niece of mine and I decided to give it a test run before gifting it to her. Images are bright, crisp and clear for the most part. Videos are very good, just as good as my more expensive Sony camera, even though they are 720p. The focusing is fast and it is ready to take another picture pretty fast, especially if you aren’t using the flash. Zoom is 12X optical, and even when zoomed out, the camera helps with camera shake. Small, will fit in a pocket. The LCD screen is only 2.7" - a little disappointed it doesn’t have a 3" screen like most cameras now have.

What I recommend: If you have an older Elph model you’re happy with, don’t buy this camera for the higher MP. This has 20 MP and that DOESN’T make this a better camera. It’s a ploy by almost all camera manufacturers to entice you to upgrade. Lower megapixel count is better almost all the time. Because if you try and blow these photos up into poster-size and you’ve cropped it a little before-hand, you will have very grainy-looking photos.

What comes in the box: Camera, wrist strap, battery and battery charger. You will need an SDHC card, I recommend a Class 10 as it will be faster and it’s better if you’re shooting videos. There is NO cable included to upload the photos to your computer and this doesn’t have wi-fi. So you’ll have to use a card reader or find a cable that fits this.

SDHC Card: Transcend 8GB Class 10 SDHC Card (TS8GSDHC10)

Card Reader: IOGEAR SD/MicroSD/MMC Card Reader/Writer GFR204SD (Green/Gray)

Note: Camera was purchased locally at Target since I had a gift card that was about to expire.

Amazon.com - Customer Reviews: Canon PowerShot ELPH 170 IS (Silver)