4.3 out of 5
  • Best Buy Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 554 customers
    4.5 out of 5
  • Walmart Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::star: by 6 customers
    4.8 out of 5

Features

• 57x (32.5-1853mm) Advanced Zoom and SuperRange Optical Image Stabilizer helps provide outstanding, steady video.
  • Canon 3.28 Megapixel Full HD CMOS Image Sensor.
  • DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor captures video at 1920 x 1080 resolution and helps provide outstanding imaging performance.
  • Record Full HD video directly to a removable SD memory card.
  • 3.0-inch capacitive touch panel LCD with increased brightness and new User Interface for easy menu navigation and simple viewing of videos.
  • Buy
  • Don’t buy

0 voters

Amazon Review by Dan :star::star::star::star::emptystar:

147 people found the following review helpful

An Excellent Dedicated Video Camera!

UPDATED 9/12/2016 Great dedicated video camera! It's incredibly small, but not too small for my man hands. With the battery attached it has a good weight to it and doesn't feel cheap at all. It's taken a bit of time for me to get the camera setup to perform exactly as I want it to. A lot of trial and error, and fudging around with the different settings and presets, but I've ultimately decided to keep this camera on it's very robust Full Auto mode with a few advanced settings changed in the settings menu. I'll pass these tips along to you below.

Tips:
> Turn off “Auto Slow Shutter”, I’ve found that with this on the camera will slow the shutter speed in dark scenes to compensate for the low light, however this drops the frame rate and causes the recording to look jittery and choppy. It works great with this turned off, even in low light situations.
> Turn off “Power on using LCD panel”, If you turn this off you can continue recording even if you close the display, and even start/stop zoom in/out recordings without even opening the display at all.
> Changing the zoom type to 57X will give you a slightly wider field of view than 32X (default), however this will disable Dynamic Image Stabilization, leaving you with Standard IS. If you want the wider FOV then it’s a trade off.
> Turn on “LCD Mirror Image” this will mirror the LCD’s image when it’s flipped for selfies so your framing and movement feels natural to you.
> Plug in any set of headphones to get a real-time monitor of the audio you’re capturing. Even without hitting the record button you’ll be able to hear exactly what the camera is hearing. This also works for watching & listening to video stored on the sd card.

Pros:

• 1080p 60FPS video is buttery smooth with no frame dips or choppy segments.
  • The lens has front threads for attaching filters and additional lenses.
  • Video quality is top notch in decent lighting conditions, and acceptable in low light conditions.
  • Image stabilization works great for handheld, there are 3 different types of IS for your situation.
  • Best full auto mode I’ve ever seen, it even tells you what it’s doing as it’s doing it. (displays IS mode when it changes for different situations, and what type of scene it’s adjusting for)
  • You can remove the battery and run the camera completely off the wall charger to record for days uninterrupted.
  • If you run out of battery power mid shot the camera will still save your video and not corrupt the file.
  • The built in microphone is pretty great, it records in stereo and does an ok job at boosting the gain to appropriate levels. I believe it uses AGC or some form of dynamic compression. It even has different audio modes for things like speech, nature, or noise reduction. And if you don’t like the mic, you can always plug in your own.
  • Its not talked about much, but this is actually a VERY nice time-lapse camera as well. It has built in functions for capturing custom speed time-lapse video that saves hours on battery life and SD card storage space.
  • I’ve connected a dynamic cardioid microphone and studio headphones to this camera at the same time and it worked exceptionally well. There must be a pretty good microphone preamp on this camera because I could monitor my voice in real-time crisp and clear in the headphones. However, if you plug a mono source mic into this camera, youll only get audio and monitor feedback out of one headphone ear cup. Youll have to fix this in post production, or purchase a mono-in to stereo-out adapter to fill both L&R audio channels.

Cons:

• Sometimes on rare occasions after recording a video longer than 10 minutes, or recording multiple short videos in quick succession, my VIXIA will start overexposing frames randomly and mix those into the recording that appear during playback as bright white flashes every 5-10 seconds. This is often accompanied by several underexposed frames that appear as dark blinks during playback. Ive reported this to Canon support, but all they suggested was trying another SD card, or sending the camera in for warranty repairs. I havent made up my mind what I want to do about it if anything, but Im curious if any other VIXIA owners have had a similar problem.
  • The tripod mounting threads are plastic and can be stripped if you’re not careful.
  • Nowhere to mount a light or external shotgun microphone, the camera is so small it wouldn’t make sense anyway.
  • The face detection feature can cause more problems than it solves, often times making the entire scene uncontrollably pulse in and out of focus while shooting indoors.
  • No external battery charger is included, you have to plug the camera into the wall directly. (battery is easily removable though)
  • The power input and cable is a proprietary connection meaning you’d have to get replacement cables directly from Canon.
  • If you don’t have enough light your video will look grainy, low res, out of focus… This is true for all cameras though, keep your expectations within reason.
  • The built in microphone sounds great from the front, but if youre talking from behind the camera your voice will sound echoey and muffled. Id recommend connecting an external mic if you plan to do commentary that way.
  • After reading through the manual and looking online, I still have no idea what “View Assistance” is in the settings. I think it goes hand in hand with Highlight Priority mode, but if anyone could explain it to me I’d love to hear it.
  • This camera doesn’t include any software. I remember buying a Canon DSLR a while back and THAT included all kinds of great tools for my PC, including a licensed version of Adobe Lightroom. I would have really liked to see that kind of frosting on top of this cake, but oh well.

Thanks for reading, I’d love to see your comments and helpful votes.

Amazon.com - Customer Reviews: Canon VIXIA HF R700 Camcorder (Black)

Walmart Review by JackieD :star::star::star::star::star:

11 people found the following review helpful

I'm no Expert but I'm Very Pleased!

Great sound quality without the use of an additional microphone. Great zoom without compromising resolution. Easy to use. Lightweight and comfortable in my hand. I am only a novice (this is my first camcorder purchase) but I am very pleased so far. I ordered online and was so happily surprised when I received it in just 2 days! I tried to purchase online with 2 other stores and there were either stocking availability issues or the shipping date was longer than I wanted so I tried Walmart.com and I'm very happy I did. It says somewhere that it is not mountable with a tripod but it does come with the port option for mounting for tripods. Battery life remaining displays in time in minutes which is helpful. I did a pretty thorough job of searching for reviews prior to the purchase and for this price range, it was one of the most recommended.

Walmart.com - Customer Reviews: Canon VIXIA HF R700 Camcorder (Black)

Here is a youtube video

Canon Vixia HF R700 Camcorder Unboxing and quick review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bJrdhTmrXQ

Best Buy Review by bikdav :star::star::star::star::star:

BIG Improvement

I record videos for the church. A previous church camcorder stopped working properly. Therefore, I used my iPad mini for several months. I use it to take personal videos. It works good (and shoots in widescreen), but it is not as good as a camcorder. After seeing people with camcorders while out and about and watching reviews on YouTube, I decided to buy one for myself. The Canon Vixia Hf R700 is great for general use. It is so much easier to use than the iPad mini. The Vixia shoots much better videos in various light conditions. The adjustments are more than enough for my use. The Canon Vixia Hf R700 has audio in, av out, HDMI out, and easy access to the other necessities. Once you charge up the battery, it lasts quite a while. There are some things that I found out by doing. 1) If you are going to shoot a long video (say over 30 minutes), record in the "native" AVCHD format -not mp4. With mp4, your videos will be divided into about 30 minute segments which results in more than one created "file". That can be an annoyance when editing. 2) Watch your sound levels closely when recording in something other than fully automatic mode. Loud sounds can distort if loud enough. This is especially true when using an external mic - which I very highly recommend for best sound. Speaking of that, if the mic has adjustable sound level (or if you are getting sound from a soundboard or something of that nature) boost it up very carefully and turn the cameras internal level way down to reduce background hiss. Always keep the instructions handy. They are very helpful. The Canon Vixia Hf R700 has lots of features and adjustments. EXPERIMENT with it to see what works best for you.

Bestbuy.com - Customer Reviews: Canon VIXIA HF R700 Camcorder (Black)