• Durable stainless steel spray arm & interior
  • Built-in water-softner system
  • Buy
  • Don’t buy

0 voters

Walmart Review by TNShopper2013 :star::star::star::star::star:

523 people found the following review helpful

Very efficient dishwasher

A great compact dishwasher. Hopefully, other shoppers will find the info I've included helpful in their purchase decision. Some of this information isn't included in the manual. 1. Will the dishwasher work without special dishwasher salt? Yes. The salt is recommended for hard water areas. If you have difficulty finding dishwasher salt some brands are: Finish, Soft Spring by Whirlpool, Somat and Miele. I have not used any of these brands and of course follow the directions in the manual concerning the usage. 2. Will the dishwasher work without liquid rinse aid? Yes. I use Finish All-In-One tablets, so it includes the rinse aid. The Finish tablets will fit in the main detergent dispenser with the flap closed. The light will illuminate on the dishwasher while the liquid rinse aid dispenser is empty. 3. How do you know when the cycle is complete? When the drying light flashes (4th red light from the left) water will intermittently drain. At the end of the cycle the unit will beep 4 or 5 times then the drying light will go out. 4. The faucet adapter included is only for internal threaded faucets. If you have a faucet with the threads on the outside then you'll need to acquire the appropriate adapter. Also, if you have a sink sprayer, it is not recommended that you have the sink sprayer and dishwasher connected as the sink sprayer may burst. You can acquire a 1/4" (typical for most sprayers) brass cap. This is if your sink has a separate sprayer and not the kind built into the faucet. Total installation time was about 5 minutes. 5. Is there a heating element in this model? Yes. 6. What is the tub material type? Stainless steel. The sprayer arm in the bottom of the unit is also stainless steel. 7. Are the dishes completely dry after a cycle? Most dishes are dry but not all. Like other brands of dishwashers I believe this unit performs similar to Bosch in that the dishwasher uses residual heat to finish drying the dishes. Some plastics and items like the tops of cups will have some water but this isn't an issue for me. 8. How quiet is this dishwasher? It is fairly quiet, rated at 55 dB. It is on par with some of the mid grade domestic or entry grade German brands. 9. What are the shipping dimensions? Unfortunately, Walmart doesn't include the shipping dimensions. The shipping dimensions from the confirmation from Walmart: 38.43" x 30" x 20.71". Weight per Walmart is 134.5 lbs. The unit is fairly compact, however, it does require a SUV or wagon to bring it home. I would recommend using Site-to-Store as the unit I received had no dents/scratches/broken items. 10. Where is this unit made? Per the unit label this model is made in Foshan, China.

Walmart.com - Customer Reviews: Danby DDW1899WP-1 Portable Dishwasher

Amazon Review by rjeffb :star::star::star::star::emptystar:

63 people found the following review helpful

Some compromises and annoyances, but a good little dishwasher

First, make sure you shop around. I got mine from the website of that big chain that starts with W and ends in Mart, $100 less than the best price I could find on Amazon and free shipping to the store. Wow. EDIT: as of this moment I see prices for this on Amazon range from $891 (gulp!) to >>$85<< - but that $85 doesn't include the additional $350 shipping. And this item has several different listings on Amazon. So like I said: shop around!
  1. Absolutely true that it is very quiet. The review that you have to be standing right next to it in order to hear it is, in my opinion, a bit of hyperbole, but subjectively about a third the noise created by my old Kenmore (Whirlpool in disguise).

2. Also true that it does not completely dry dishes. Once the unit beeps (more on that in a moment) to tell you it’s done, crack the door open so the steam can escape.

3. And yes, it’s true that it takes forever to complete a cycle. But here’s the thing: it uses very little water (again, about a third as much as the Kenmore) and incidentally, about a third as much detergent; obviously, they have traded water volume for cycle time. Does it really matter that a dishwasher takes longer? I guess if you really needed a full-size dishwasher but couldn’t make room for it so you need to turn around several cycles back-to-back in order to wash all of your dishes, that could be a consideration. But if all you really needed in the first place was an 18", who cares if it takes two hours instead of one hour, especially if it is using less water, less detergent, and (according to the Energy Star rating) less electricity?

4. Eight place settings? Of what, dollhouse dishes? Now that one IS hyperbole. The owner’s manual shows a picture of the rack filled to the gills, plates and bowls facing down. Yes, it is possible to fill the rack from one side to the other with plates and bowls…and quite impossible to then slide the rack into the dishwasher and close the door. If you go by the owner’s manual, then the tines by the left side of the rack are there only for show: you cannot actually put anything there or they will overhang the side of the rack. Oddly, one of the pictures in one of the several Amazon product pages for this unit shows the rack filled with bowls and plates facing UP, in which case you can in fact fill the rack…but that contradicts the owner’s manual! (I tried washing dishes with the plates facing up and it does in fact work, so is the manual wrong?)

The upshot is that this is a four-place setting washer and a bit tight even for that. This unit is fine for two people washing dishes every several days, or a family of four washing daily, but that’s it. They have compensated to some extent by very carefully engineering the small interior - the smallest interior of a standing dishwasher I have ever seen, probably to make room for the extra insulation that makes it so quiet and energy efficient - to maximize what you can get in, but the special bowl holders and flip-down mug rack aren’t going to help when you have a giant salad bowl or anything else unusual in size to wash. The good news is that because the top rack has its own independent spray arm - a standard feature in 24" washers but fairly uncommon in a compact portable (neither of my Kenmores had one) - you can get away with piling one or two large items on top of other dishes in the top rack; presuming they’re flat enough to still slide the rack back in, they’ll come out clean. EDIT: thanks to “MartyytraM” for pointing out that the the entire upper rack assembly, including the spray arm, can be moved up or down. Unclip the white knobs at the front of the rack arms that extend out when you pull the rack out, pull the entire rack assembly out of the dishwasher, and re-insert it using the second (previously unused) set of wheels on the rack and re-clip the clips. That gains you 6cm more room up top, but it then just barely clears my large plates downstairs. UPDATE: Two weeks of using the dishwasher with the upper rack set to the lower position and very pleased; no contact with the large plates downstairs. One unexpected bit of information is that large plates CAN interfere, not with the spray arm but with the roller wheels on either side of the top rack: if a big plate is all the way to the left of the bottom rack, it’ll whack into the wheels of the rack above when you try to slide the bottom rack back in. Solution: put your biggest plates in the center of the rack and the small stuff over on the left.

Speaking of the owner’s manual, it fails to provide some useful bits of information. I had the devil of a time trying to figure out how to wash wine glasses; I use the excellent Quirky Tethers (do a search) and was frustrated by the fact that the bottom rack has large areas with no supporting wire running underneath (so on one side of the tines a wine glass has something to sit on, but on the other side they’d just fall through). It turns out that there is a dedicated place for wine glasses: the left side of the top rack (the aforementioned mug rack) also doubles as a wine glass stem holder, with special inserts to fit the stems into, holding the glass at a downwards angle (doing so means you can’t fit any mugs underneath, but you can put mugs on the right side of the top rack). You can fit four regular wine glasses or three jumbo Riedels. That’s great, but there is zero mention of this in the owner’s manual; I figured it out by accident while Googling “dishwasher wine rack” and saw a photo of this exact same solution…on the website of one of Danby’s competitors!

1. It does a GREAT job of washing dishes. I tried a “regular” wash cycle with maximum detergent (hint: don’t fill the entire detergent dispenser, you fill either the left side for small loads or the right side for big loads, not both) and dishes and utensils with caked-on food and everything came out sparkling. I haven’t tried non-soaked, baked-on food yet but there is a pots-n-pans cycle for that. The very long soak pre-wash may be to credit for this. I was highly skeptical of the unusual silverware basket, in which forks and spoons go in handle-down: with most of the water pressure wasted on the handle and the plastic holder itself, how can it do a good job of cleaning the business end of the silverware? But it does. EDIT: it just occurred to me why this works: the top rack spray arm. While the water going UP has to fight its way past the basket and the handles, there is twice as much water coming down from above than most 18" dishwashers, and half of that is falling from a greater height. Smart.

Here’s another helpful tip not covered in the manual: if silverware has to go in the special basket that holds each fork and spoon facing up, then where on Earth do you put utensils? In turns out that the special silverware basket is actually two trays side-by-side, the tops of which can be unclipped and removed to reveal a conventional dishwasher silverware basket underneath. I removed one top, put my utensils on that side, and continued to put ordinary silverware on the side with the special holder top. Big utensils like spatulas you’ll have to lay down in the top rack, but that’s true of all but the biggest of dishwashers anyway.

1. I use my portables as a sort-of built-in: I slide it under a counter and hook it up to the hot water and drain under the sink. This is one big star off as I discovered to my horror that the water feed hose is connected directly to the solenoid valve at the bottom of the unit (held on by a oetiker clamp, non-removable). This is unlike any dishwasher I have ever seen and means that you cannot simply remove the portable hose and screw on a replacement or an extension (and the portable hose is short, about 1 meter). It also means that if that hose ever leaks, you’re screwed. In exchanges with other posters here on Amazon it appears that earlier versions DID have a screw-off hose and that is a huge move down in flexibility and long-term reliability. How much does a washing machine hose fitting cost, wholesale? Fifty cents? Shame on you, Danby. Anyway, I sliced the permanently-attached hoses in half with a carpet knife (voiding the warranty, no doubt, while a screw-on hose would mean I could just put the old hose back on if needed) and, with great trepidation, connected it to the push-on compression line I had coming off my hot water line with an adapter and barb fitting from Home Depot, secured by a radiator hose clamp. Not a drop of leakage, which leads me to…

2. …Superior solenoid design. My old dishwasher, and its predecessor, and every washing machine I have ever owned, had plunger-type solenoid valves: one moment it’s on, the next moment it’s off. You know what I’m talking about: the dishwasher or washing machine makes a huge CLUNK sound as the water comes on or off. That creates a momentary spike in the pressure inside the hose and can cause anything short of a perfect seal to leak and eventually fail. The Danby valve opens and closes more slowly, preventing that sudden thump. Hence, no leaks at my jury-rigged hose connection.

3. It would not fit under the counter on its wheels. It is not obvious how to remove the wheels; what you do is push a large flat screwdriver in perpendicularly at the top and push off the slip rings that hold them in place. Removing the wheels creates a new problem: the Danby cannot sit on the floor without wheels, because it has an irregular bottom. But inboard of the wheels there is another set of holes, I’m guessing put there for the undercabinet version so both models can share the same chassis. It turns out that a set of flat office chair feet fit perfectly; I used these: <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CF06M1O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1>. They’ll wobble a bit when the dishwasher is flipped over, but once you set the dishwasher down they’re rock solid. They’ll need a nudge to get them to go into the holes, one tap of a mallet or a hammer will do.

4. Water is not heated during pre-rinse; but it is heated during main wash cycle. I verified this by running it off just cold water and checking the temperature at various points during the wash. The pre-rinse stayed ice cold but the wash water warmed up over time until it was steaming hot. Not hot right at the start so it does not pre-heat like some dishwashers, but with such long cycles that shouldn’t make a difference.

5. The many pages of instructions about adding salt and securing the salt dispenser and monitoring the salt indicator light is, for almost everybody, meaningless. It’s nice that the unit has a built-in salt dispenser but that’s only needed by, and that portion of the manual only has to be read by, people who a) have very hard water and b) don’t already have a water softener. If like most people the water coming out of your tap is reasonably soft (if you’re not sure if it is, then it is - you’d know) then ignore the instructions as well as the idiot light on the front panel.

6. It beeps. It beeps when you start it, it beeps every minute when the door is open to remind you to close it and start the cycle, and it beeps a bunch of times when it’s finished. And no, you can’t turn the beep off. Grr. At least it’s not a particularly loud beep.

In conclusion, some compromises (and some extra-frustratingly the result of rather short-sighted decisions by Danby that are really unnecessary), but does a very good job of washing dishes, is very quiet, and - if you shop around - is an outstanding bargain.

Amazon.com - Customer Reviews: Danby DDW1899WP-1 Portable Dishwasher

thank you :+1:

Danby Portable Dishwasher DDW1899WP Review (Part 1 of 3)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwyLJE6Pl-A