Edimax EW-7811Un 150Mbps 11n Wi-Fi USB Adapter, Nano Size Lets You Plug it and Forget it, Ideal for Raspberry Pi / Pi2, Supports Windows, Mac OS, Linux (Black/Gold) Review ⭐⭐⭐⭐:emptystar:

edimax

To Buy Or Not Summary

:star::star::star::star::emptystar: by 10182 customers
3.8 out of 5
  • Amazon Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::emptystar: by 9485 customers
    3.8 out of 5

• Walmart Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 697 customers
    4.4 out of 5

Features

• Supports 150 Mbps 802.11n Wireless data rate - the latest wireless standard. Permits users to have the farthest range with the widest coverage. (Up to 6 times the speed and 3 times the coverage of 802.11b.).
  • Power Saving designed to support smart transmit power control and auto-idle state adjustment
  • Supports WMM (Wi-Fi Multimedia) Standard so that you can let different types of data have higher priority. It would allows better streaming of real-time data such as Video, Music, Skype etc
  • Includes multi-language EZmax setup wizard
  • Spec Standards IEEE 802.11n
  • backward compatible with 802.11b/g Wi-Fi Certified. Security 64/128 bit WEP Encryption and WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK security
  • WPS compatible IEEE 802.1X
  • Port 1 x 2.0 USB Type A. Wireless Data Rates Up to 150 Mbps. Modulation OFDM: BPSK, QPSK, 16-QAM, 64-QAM, DSSS. Frequency Band 2.4GHz - 2.4835GHz. Antenna internal chip antenna
  • Channels (FCC) 2.4GHz : 1~11. Power Input USB Port (Self-Powered). Dimensions 0.28" x 0.59" x 0.73". Temperature 0 -40 degree C (32-104 degree F). Humidity 10 ~ 90% Non-Condensing. System XP/Vista/Win7, Mac, Linux
  • Supports 150 Mbps 802.11n Wireless data rate - the latest wireless standard. Permits users to have the farthest range with the widest coverage. (Up to 6 times the speed and 3 times the coverage of 802.11b.).
  • Power Saving designed to support smart transmit power control and auto-idle state adjustment
  • Supports WMM (Wi-Fi Multimedia) Standard so that you can let different types of data have higher priority. It would allows better streaming of real-time data such as Video, Music, Skype etc
  • Includes multi-language EZmax setup wizard
  • Spec Standards IEEE 802.11n
  • backward compatible with 802.11b/g Wi-Fi Certified. Security 64/128 bit WEP Encryption and WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK security
  • WPS compatible IEEE 802.1X
  • Port 1 x 2.0 USB Type A. Wireless Data Rates Up to 150 Mbps. Modulation OFDM: BPSK, QPSK, 16-QAM, 64-QAM, DSSS. Frequency Band 2.4GHz - 2.4835GHz. Antenna internal chip antenna
  • Channels (FCC) 2.4GHz : 1~11. Power Input USB Port (Self-Powered). Dimensions 0.28" x 0.59" x 0.73". Temperature 0 -40 degree C (32-104 degree F). Humidity 10 ~ 90% Non-Condensing. System XP/Vista/Win7, Mac, Linux
  • Buy
  • Don’t buy

0 voters

Amazon Review by Michael Ronayne :star::star::star::star::star:

23 people found the following review helpful

Windows-10 Software Updates That Work!

I recently upgraded my old Windows-7 laptop to the free Windows-10 promotional offered from Microsoft. Even under Windows-7 the WiFi interface had been problematic and the issued continued under Windows-10. Given the advanced age of the laptop, I didnt want to invest a lot of money fixing the WiFi. In reviewing Amazons USB WiFi solutions, the Edimax EW-7811Un appeared to be likely low cost solution were it not for the large number of negative reviews which were offset by the still larger number of positive review. I decided to take a chance and ordered the Edimax EW-7811Un.

When the Edimax EW-7811Un arrived, I was able to use the default Windows-10 and Mini CD-ROM to install the driver and support software; however, neither solution worked for longer than several minutes before failing. Most troubling was that the Edimax EW-7811Un ALMOST worked.

When I read the current product reviews, as they pertain to Windows-10, I realized that my experience was not unique and there were a number of unhappy people who ordered the Edimax EW-7811Un for use with Windows-10. In reviewing several USB WiFi solutions on Amazon, I noticed that the Windows-10 upgrades were more problematic. This could be caused by (1) older and slower hardware or (2) the Windows-10 upgrade image was not quite the same as a native Windows-10 image.

For several days I considered writing a scathing review while devising alternative solutions but kept returning to the fact that the software was almost on the cusp of working. Finally, I called the Edimax support number, expecting technical support Hades, only to be quickly connected with a knowledge support technician. When I described the problem, the technician indicated that the wrong software was being distributed for Windows-10 and provided guidance on where to find the correct software, which was not on the primary Edimax website. As Amazon doesnt support the posting of URLs, the following navigation is provided on where to find the correct software:

Navagation: edimax.us | support | download drives

On the Driver & Manual Download page, go to Section 7 and download the ZIP compressed driver EW-7811Un Win v1.0.1.4, which is the first entry in Section 7.

I used a tablet to download the file EW-7811Un_Windows_driver_v1.0.1.4.zip and then transferred the file to Windows-10 using a USB interface. Un-ZIP the file, using Windows-10, and then run the program Setup. This not a GUI and runs under a DOS shell, so just wait until it completes. As Edimax Support recommended, reboot your Windows-10 system, and you should be good to go!

A few off-the-cuff observations:

(1) A built-in laptop WiFi generally has a hidden and sometimes large antenna under the case. The Edimax may not work in WiFi marginal areas of your home. There are Edimax products with large external antennas but these will not have the small form factor of the Edimax EW-7811Un. If the connection is very poor the Edumax is flagged as Turned Off and you may have to use Windows-10 to re-enable the WiFi. This could be a bug!

(2) I noticed that the Edimax EW-7811Un sometimes appears to go to sleep. Turning Device Power Management OFF may correct that problem.

I have now run a four hour series of serious stress tests and, with the exception of marginal areas in my home, the Edimax EW-7811Un has performed well. I am giving this product Five Starts because of the good performance at a very affordable price point. Yes, Edimaxs software quality control was troubling in this case, but I would give their Technical Support Six Stars without a second thought.

Microsoft Windows-10 upgrade policy was highly innovative and has given new life to older hardware and after market upgrades such as the Edimax EW-7811Un. Edimax and Amazon have to do a better job of communicating the good news to their customers.

Amazon.com - Customer Reviews: Edimax EW-7811Un 150Mbps 11n Wi-Fi USB Adapter, Nano Size Lets You Plug it and Forget it, Ideal for Raspberry Pi / Pi2, Supports Windows, Mac OS, Linux (Black/Gold)

Walmart Review by RbwNjaFurret :star::star::star::star::star:

122 people found the following review helpful

Small yet effective.

I bought a second computer recently, and wanted to use Wired internet for it, and Wireless for my old one. So I looked online, and found this. I didn't think that it would be very good, but I ordered it to try it out. It far exceeded my expectations. It's nearly as fast as my Wired internet, and is the best one I've seen for this small of a price tag. It's extremely small, slightly smaller than an American penny (a bit thicker, though,) and still provides the same high quality internet you'd expect from a much bigger, more expensive one. A very good investment, if I do say so myself.

Walmart.com - Customer Reviews: Edimax EW-7811Un 150Mbps 11n Wi-Fi USB Adapter, Nano Size Lets You Plug it and Forget it, Ideal for Raspberry Pi / Pi2, Supports Windows, Mac OS, Linux (Black/Gold)

@geek30 Did you buy it?

Maybe this video can help

Edimax EW-7811Un 150Mbps 11n Wi-Fi USB Adapter, Nano Size Lets You Plug it and Forget it, Ideal f...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgU0D44nPgA