ELAC B6 Debut Series 6.5" Bookshelf Speakers by Andrew Jones (Pair) Review ⭐⭐⭐⭐:halfstar:

elac-americas-llc

To Buy Or Not Summary

:star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 275 customers
4.6 out of 5
  • Amazon Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 265 customers
    4.6 out of 5
  • Best Buy Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 9 customers
    4.4 out of 5
  • Walmart Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::star: by 1 customers
    5.0 out of 5

Features

• Custom Drivers
  • Woven Aramid-Fiber Woofer
  • Deep-Spheroid Custom Waveguide
  • Intricate Crossover
  • Buy
  • Don’t buy

0 voters

Amazon Review by Heather Hanley :star::star::star::star::star:

134 people found the following review helpful

These are stunningly good for the price

These are stunningly good for the price. They've sounded simply wonderful with every genre of music I've put through them, from small-scale jazz and vocals to large-scale orchestral and solo piano.

To me, the stand-out, jaw-dropping feature is the quality of bass. Lots of bookshelf speakers with 5-7" drivers spec to -6 db at 40-44hz, but that’s not the whole story. At all. On cheap (ish) bookshelf speakers, you tend to get sloppy, overhanging bass that’s overwhelmingly loud at the port frequency. As a result, rather than getting musical notes, you get a single hammering frequency that falls out of step with the music. On the ELAC B6, the bass is incredibly tight and musical. Stunning. I simply can’t believe the quality of the bass at this price point. To compare: I formerly owned a pair of $4200 2-way Devore Super 8s. The quality of bass on these Elac’s is much, much better.

Now, a common question I see is “do I need a subwoofer with these?”. Well, the specs are the specs. The bass is absolutely superb to 40hz, but falls off beyond that. I tested with a tone generator and got “audibly useful” bass to around 32hz. I heard some output as low as 26hz and nothing lower than that. If I did use a subwoofer (presently I am not), I would cutoff much lower than I normally do for bookshelves (I’d probably “hand-off” bass duties to the sub at 45hz or so. Normally I’d cut over at 60-80hz).

I actually also own the B&W 685 S2 speakers as well, so I could hear for myself everything that Steve Guttenberg mentioned in his CNET review. He’s spot on regarding the mid-bass. The ELAC’s bass is simply better. But, the 685 S2 is, indeed, more resolving. You can hear more overtone and ambient acoustic information with the 685 S2 (I should point out that the B&Ws resolve as good or better than any speakers I’ve ever heard. I think it has to do with the B&W’s decoupled tweeter). So, there are trade offs between these two speakers. Guttenberg also mentioned that he could hear some sibilance in vocals on the ELAC B6 (specifically Jeff Tweedy on Jesus, etc). I’ve heard no sibilance whatsoever on anything (Tweedy sounded perfect on the ELACs as a matter of fact). I’m using a NAD D3020 (awesome combo, btw), and I suspect any sibilance is the fault of Guttenberg’s electronics, not the B6 speakers.

Fit & finish: really good for the price, but nothing stunning. The look is clean and modern, but simple. These are, after all, just black boxes. Materials are nice enough and tolerances are good. But don’t be expect to be wowed by the material quality or workmanship. I will say, I’m glad the vinyl wrap isn’t pretending to be wood. Faux wood is just awful. These look vaguely Bau-hausian. Nice, clean, utilitarian. The MDF is thin, but given the relatively small size of the speakers, I don’t think box-resonance is a big deal (I certainly can’t hear the tell-tale “chestiness” of box resonance).

All-in-all: an easy 5 stars.

Note: I bought these straight from ELAC, not Amazon.

Amazon.com - Customer Reviews: ELAC B6 Debut Series 6.5" Bookshelf Speakers by Andrew Jones (Pair)

Walmart Review by Macaudio :star::star::star::star::star:

5 people found the following review helpful

Andrew Jones B6 bookshelf

I purchased these speakers to compare them to my B&W 685 I was truly amazed they are revealing detail and depth of music is truly Define. I am using B&K 2140 power amp 140w per channel 185max. Using B&K pro ten preamp with XLR interconnect cable

Walmart.com - Customer Reviews: ELAC B6 Debut Series 6.5" Bookshelf Speakers by Andrew Jones (Pair)

thank you :+1:

ELAC B5 loudspeaker, $20,000 sound for $229, by Andrew Jones, THE Show 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KZ7ig9EiNI

Best Buy Review by beelzee :star::star::star::star::star:

4.90 stars. They sound wonderful, and look cool.

Solid packaging box-in-a-box, plastic sleeves & foam pads,well done. First impressions are that they look much better than presented on line, great! wiring them in great little binding posts add to the solid feel.Not BiWire but thats not important to me I'm downsizing from 4-large speakers to two of these rather small speakers, using the same Amp (120 wpc/rms)...What bass, most importantly well done BASS!!!--Mids are quite flat and proper, and highs are very 'british' laid back but present and accurate. I have these on 30-inch stands about 2-ft from side and back walls...Astonishing imaging !!! the 3D sound presentation is remarkable considering this is a stereo amp. The freq.response sounds flat and uncolored, and although big, the low bass is tight and fast. These truly are Audiophile Quality in design,finish and excecution. I think you would need to spend a LOT more $$$ to even come close to the qualityof this package, and yes its a matched pair. ABSOLUTELY reccommend !!!

Bestbuy.com - Customer Reviews: ELAC B6 Debut Series 6.5" Bookshelf Speakers by Andrew Jones (Pair)