4.2 out of 5
  • Best Buy Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 187 customers
    4.4 out of 5
  • Walmart Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::emptystar: by 136 customers
    4.2 out of 5

Features

• High-quality scanning for photos and documents - 4800 dpi optical resolution for amazing clarity and detail
  • Preserve priceless memories - restore, archive and share family photos for generations to come
  • Scan to Facebook, Google Drive and other cloud services - Epson Document Capture Pro and Easy Photo Scan software included
  • Convenient - easy-to-use buttons for simple scan jobs, plus a space-saving built-in kickstand for vertical placement
  • Operating Systems: Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP SP2 and Mac OS X 10.6.x, 10.7.x, 10.8.x, 10.9.x, 10.10.x
  • Buy
  • Don’t buy

0 voters

Amazon Review by Wise Shopper :star::star::star::star::star:

90 people found the following review helpful

Perfect combination of price, portability and quality

I bought this scanner mainly to scan all of my childhood printed pictures. I also use it for scanning documents to save a digital copy. I looked at many other photo scanners before buying this one. I settled for this due to the following factors: price, portability and ease of use.

This scanner is a perfect combination of low price, portability and ease of use. I was considering the more expensive scanners but I realized that I don’t such high quality and I did not want to sacrifice the portability aspects. Anything over 2400 dpi will be hard to identify by a human eye. The resolution that this scanner scans is plenty enough for my purposes since I am not a professional. The two that I was considering were: Canon CanoScan 9000F MKII Color Image Scanner and Epson Perfection V600 Color Photo, Image, Film, Negative & Document Scanner. Neither are portable and costs a lot more.

I used a all in one Cannon scanner to scan some pictures before and you just can’t compare the quality from those to the scans done by this Epson Photo scanner. I scanned all of my pictures at 4800 dpi to preserve the ability to enlarge the pictures later if I wanted to. I tried scanning at 2400 and I could not tell the difference between the two. So if you want smaller size files and don’t have plans to enlarge them to a 17 inch picture than I would recommend scanning at 2400 dpi. Also 4800 dpi takes close to 1 minute to scan per picture where 2400 dpi take 20-30 seconds. The advertised 10 seconds works wit 1600 dpi or less.

I love how portable this scanner is and the fact that it has a stand to make it sit upright. I can carry it anywhere, it weights around 3 pounds and its very thin (3 inches). I am able to take it anywhere without worrying about power supply. It is powered by a micro usb cable (same as most android phones). The scanner is very easy to use. I installed the software first and then plugged in the printer. Within seconds it was ready to be used. There are 4 quick buttons that allows you to scan. I usually use the far right (Easy Start) button because it allows me to have customize the options. There is a PDF and image button which I tried and works as expected. The software also corrects color and removes dust very well. Scanning oversize documents also worked very well.

Overall I am very happy with this scanner and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to scan printed photos or any other color documents at high quality.

Amazon.com - Customer Reviews: Epson Perfection V39 photo Scanner

Walmart Review by Bill D :star::star::star::star::emptystar:

Instructions unclear

I purchased this to digitize photos for my Mother's Celebration of Life. It was confusing to learn, and we used the Scan button on the screen to start the scanner. Unfortunately, while it saved the pictures in our computer, it would not allow the images to be saved as a jpeg file. They could only be printed, not saved. After working for an entire day to capture photos from 50 scrap book albums, we had to start over, even after consulting a computer expert which told us that was our only option. So we wasted a full day of work when time was short. We learned you had to use the buttons on the scanner itself to scan the pictures so they could be saved as a jpeg file. I hope they fix this problem by either warning users that the pictures can only be printed when using just the scan picture icon without first pushing the buttons on the scanner itself, or just fix the software so jpegs can be created when using the scan button on the computer screen. Once we figured out how to use it, the pictures came out great.

Walmart.com - Customer Reviews: Epson Perfection V39 photo Scanner

Maybe this video can help

Epson Perfection V39 Scanner Product Tour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT6QQPsk-Vg

Best Buy Review by Pathrider :star::star::star::star::star:

Perfect for a low end scanner

I did a great deal of research before choosing this scanner and I was not disappointed. Epson has a solid reputation for its quality and performance and they proved it to me after doing my first test scan. The scan actually looked better than the print I had!

If I was going to say something negative I would say that I don’t like all the plastic and would question its durability in the long haul, but, after all, it is an relatively inexpensive scanner.

If you are looking for an inexpensive scanner and are on a budget than this scanner would be a solid choice.

Bestbuy.com - Customer Reviews: Epson Perfection V39 photo Scanner