Google Wifi system (set of 3) - Router replacement for whole home coverage Review ⭐⭐⭐⭐:halfstar:

google-pc

To Buy Or Not Summary

:star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 3236 customers
4.5 out of 5
  • Amazon Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 2137 customers
    4.4 out of 5
  • Best Buy Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 1055 customers
    4.7 out of 5
  • Walmart Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 44 customers
    4.6 out of 5

Features

• A new type of connected system for seamless Wi-Fi coverage throughout your home, helping eliminate dead zones and buffering
  • Replaces your current router, and works your modem and internet service. It’s compatible with major internet service providers including Comcast, Time Warner, and Verizon Fios
  • A single Wifi point covers up to 1,500 sq. ft, a set of three covers homes up to 4,500 sq. ft. Wifi points work together so you can add more if you need additional coverage
  • Network Assist technology keeps your connection fast by always selecting the clearest channel and fastest band for your devices
  • A simple app gets you set up quickly and allows you to see what’s connected, prioritize devices, and pause the Wi-Fi on kids’ devices
  • Buy
  • Don’t buy

0 voters

Amazon Review by LifeCoachLandryOnYouTube :star::star::star::star::emptystar:

262 people found the following review helpful

THUMBS UP

PROS Sleek look. Easy setup. Well designed App. Solid Close and Far Range Performance. Fixed Dead Spot problems.

CONS
Only 1 usable wired port for a device on main router (other is for internet from Modem), Unlike the two additional hubs which 2 Ethernet ports are available for use. Most Routers offer 4 ports, only providing 1 feels cheap. Not sold in 2 packs. Also, No USB port at all. You could always add a switch to get additional ports but; at 299 price point, you shouldn’t have to.

BOTTOM LINE
Google WiFi makes it easy to bring Mesh 802.11ac networking to your home.

Google WiFi works differently than a traditional router, using “Mesh” technology (many units acting together as one WiFi). Mesh WiFi is the best way to provide whole home coverage and mesh is becoming increasingly popular and likely to become the new standard way of having WiFi in the home.

Google WiFi tested 50% faster than my Linksys AC1900, Each points quad core network processor, packet forwarding engine, and dual gigabit Ethernet ports help the network keep up. Each point delivers AC1200 802.11ac performance in a device that looks nice enough to keep out in the open. Its compatible with all your old devices as well so no worries there. Has 3 Light colors, Red Indicates an Issue, Blue Indicates Set Up and White for Connected (light can be turned off or brightness adjusted with the App). Googles Network Assist WiFi App software manages settings in the background. The software is very Fisher Price styled and Easy to use. All from your Mobile Device, Tablet or Phone, You Can Check Network Speed, Prioritize Devices, Pause or Stop any ones WiFi like kids or guest.

Simply put, not all WiFi systems are created equal, this one is Top Notch and a Keeper.

Amazon.com - Customer Reviews: Google Wifi system (set of 3) - Router replacement for whole home coverage

Walmart Review by John :star::star::star::star::star:

14 people found the following review helpful

Awesome product, easy set up!

The google wifi router was super easy to set up and is works really well...Super fast signal and looks really sharp. I was going to buy a new router AND a range extender to get a signal over to our home office room (which was a dead spot in our house) but the google router has a strong enough signal to reach the office without a range extender so I saved a few dollars by buying the google router vs buying two separate devices. Couldn't be more happy. Also, it's always fun opening a new box from google!

Walmart.com - Customer Reviews: Google Wifi system (set of 3) - Router replacement for whole home coverage

Google NLS 1304 25 Wi-Fi system Router replacement for whole home coverage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wImM5NlBjq8

Best Buy Review by Techgadgetdude :star::star::star::star::star:

Great easy Mesh Wifi Solution, but...

I have been using both basic Access points/WiFi routers and more advanced gear for years. Our latest was a Netgear Nighthawk, which worked great as an omni-directional Access Point, but wasn't so good as a Router. I put a Ubiquiti Networks router, in my front of the Netgear, which made things stable, fast, and met all our needs. I did try wifi extenders, but didn't like how they required you to set up an additional SSID for thier location, so if I moved though our the house it would eventually require an handoff, which was never seemless. I also think there was a security flaw in this setup, but don't remember.

I wanted a greater signal spread in our 3200 sqft multi-story house, so I first bought Luma, while keeping an eye on Eero and Orbi. I liked the security features of Luma, but when I tried to set it up, it had a hard time finding the DHCP assigned IP address from my Cisco/Charter Cable modem. After working on thier gear for numerous hours with thier wonderful customer service, and I seriously do mean wonderful, I gave up and returned thier gear.

I still wanted a mesh wifi, and this is right when Google wifi was available for pre-order. After it arrived 30 days later, it took me ~15 min to set up, establish groups, do some port forwarding, and reassign few devices that dropped thier connection.

Speed test returned fast great results both from hard wired desktops and wifi connected devices.

I connect both Android and IOS phones, iPads and Android based tablets, Ooma VoIP, SmartThings hub, Nest thermostat, Ring Pro door bell, Sonos, Chronecast, FireTV, Nvidia Shield Android TV, Roku 3, both Windows and Mac laptops, Windows 10 desktop, WiiU, 3DS, Tivo, Qnap NAS, HP Laser printer, Epson Muti-Inkjet Printer, and a couple of Echos to the network. I also connect my Ethernet based devices via various switches throughout the house.

Everything works great and and has a strong signal.

I agree with all posts that say this is a very simple device, and provides very limited advanced networking features, especially when compared to my Ubiquiti router.

I have decided to give up my multiple SSIDs for 2.4 and 5Ghz frequencies, routing protocols, subnets, and VPN Into my network, because I really didn’t need it.

Also, the Google wifi sets up ONE SSID for all frequencies, and determines the best frequency based on signal strength, beam firming capability, and overall speed. Although I can force a 5G via my device, I figured I will only change this if I experience any lag or delay, which hasn’t been a problem thus far.

We cut the cord a while back and stream multiple session, at once of PlayStation Vue, Netflix, Amazon Video, Plex, HBO Now, Starz Play, Spotify, and Kodi without problem

I also play online shooter like BF4, BF1, and Titan Fall2, whithout port forwarding set up, and haven’t experienced and lag. I of course set my desktop as a priority device, in settings, to ensure the streaming video doesn’t affect my gaming. This would sometimes happen with my previous set up, when we were all streaming something, even with QOS turned on.

In summary, although a simple solution, it does everything I want, thus getting 5 stars. I hope for greater networking features as time goes on, and if I experience any problems, then I may reevaluate my review.

One suggestion for all users is to hardwire the APs if you have the chance. The wireless mesh works flawless, but if you want the best performance possible, then hardware the APs, which will produce the fastest mesh network available today. This is when compared to Orbi, Eero, or Luma.

This has been validated by numerous consumer and trade rag reviews. Orbi does offer some more features and a faster all wireless mesh setup, due to the dedicated network channel, but it also costs $100 dollars more for a two AP solution.

I hope this helps and provides some perspective.

Bestbuy.com - Customer Reviews: Google Wifi system (set of 3) - Router replacement for whole home coverage