Amazon Review by Sean C. Courtney
78 people found the following review helpful
Good camera but it has (livable) flaws - and Mac users must RTFM!
For what I paid (I got this thing dirt cheap), I'm happy with what I got:
- Really good graphic quality
- Very easy operation
- Easy to carry around
It does have its issues though:
- Setup can be a pain. If you want your videos and pictures to have the correct date/time stamp, you need to connect your camera to a computer and run a setup utility.
- It needs semi-frequent resets…on days when I really have my heart set on recording sometimes I’ll flip the camera on and get that never-ending vibration that tells you you need to find a paperclip and reset the thing
- It needs frequent recharging…case in point, sometimes I like to video my bike commute to work, which is about 45 minutes. On the return trip if I don’t recharge, I get maybe two, three minutes of juice.
- This is advertised as a helmet cam. You get a decent number of accessories, including a wifi adapter. You also get a mounting kit that will seemingly help you easily mount the camera on your handlebars (and it works very well, just takes a LONG time to tighten the thing!) and the mount will work with seemingly EVERYTHING including your pet duck…EXCEPT YOUR HELMET. You need to buy a separate mounting bracket for your helmet EVEN THOUGH THIS IS ADVERTISED AS A HELMET CAMERA!
- Having said that, the mounting bracket is metal, but the mount on the camera itself is plastic. If you’re lucky, this will last you maybe ten uses before you strip the thread and have to hack in your own metal nut.
But seriously, it seems like I have more complaints than positives, but the truth is, I’m still glad I have this camera. For what I paid (which must have been a “discontinued product” price) I feel I got a really, really good deal.
HEADS-UP TO MAC USERS: To run the Mac software, you need to visit Ion’s web site and download the Mac software. DO NOT RUN THE MAC SOFTWARE FROM YOUR COMPUTER: you will get error messages saying the camera isn’t connected. YOU NEED TO RUN THE SOFTWARE FROM THE MEMORY CARD THAT IS IN YOUR CAMERA. And your camera must be connected. And the memory card must be in your camera. I’ve seen a lot of people trash this camera because they couldn’t get the Mac software running, but if they would only READ THE DOCUMENTATION, they’d understand why it wouldn’t work!!