iRobot Roomba 690 Robot Vacuum with Wi-Fi Connectivity + Manufacturer's Warranty ⭐⭐⭐⭐:halfstar:

irobot

To Buy Or Not Summary

:star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 275 customers
4.3 out of 5
  • Amazon Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::emptystar: by 177 customers
    4.2 out of 5
  • Best Buy Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 91 customers
    4.4 out of 5
  • Walmart Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 7 customers
    4.6 out of 5

Features

• Clean and schedule from anywhere with the iRobot HOME App
  • compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
  • 3-stage cleaning system loosens, lifts, & suctions dirt
  • Navigates under furniture and around clutter
  • Built on the proven Roomba 650 robot platform, now with Wi-Fi connectivity and an updated design
  • Cleans all floor types
  • includes 1 Dual Mode Virtual Wall Barrier to manage where your robot cleans
  • Buy
  • Don’t buy

0 voters

Amazon Review by R. Pickman :star::star::star::star::star:

235 people found the following review helpful

LOVE it!

I have 2 dogs, a cat and a kid. This means that at least one of my days off every week is devoted to cleaning. Obviously part of that process is vacuuming. Living in a two story house, vacuuming entails carrying my Dyson Ball upstairs and downstairs, stretching the cord from room to room and moving beds/furniture.

I’ve frequently looked at Roombas, but always decided that it probably wasn’t for me. I doubted the robot’s ability to properly vacuum and wasn’t willing to gamble a few hundred bucks to let it try to prove me wrong. When this Roomba showed up on the Vine, I couldn’t pass it up.

In the box is the Roomba, charging/home base, an extra filter, invisible gate with included batteries (more on that in a bit), and a cleaning multitool. Setup is pretty easy. Plug the home base into an outlet wherever you want it, place the Roomba on the charging contacts, download the app and setup the wifi so it can be controlled via the app and receive updates and you’re done. Wifi was easy to set up. Just put in your wifi info and press 2 buttons on the top of the Roomba and it syncs up in under a minute.

The app is pretty straightforward. You can name your Roomba, I named mine Bender Rodriguez because I’m a nerd. It shows you the most recent jobs detailing their duration, dirt detect count (times when it detected dirt deposits), status (if it completed the job, was cancelled, something happened etc) and the date and time it was started. It also keeps track of maintenance schedules, informing you when things need to be cleaned or replaced and has a direct link to their store to order replacement filters/brushes/etc. The main page shows the status of the robot, how full the battery is and has a giant button in the center which, when pressed, will tell the robot to clean - even if you aren’t at home. The app also allows you to set a custom cleaning schedule (up to once a day for 7 days/week). The app keeps you posted of the progress, sending you a message when the job is completed or if there is an issue such as if your Roomba is stuck or is having any functional problems.

Charging only takes about 2 hours. You can either press Clean within the app or on the robot itself. It will get to work and automatically return to its charging station upon completion. Cleaning time obviously depends on the size of the space its cleaning and number of dirt detect events (it will go over the same area frequently when it detects dirt). I find that it cleans the second floor of my house (2 bedrooms and a hallway) in about an hour. Due to the pets, I have the schedule set up for every day. It would be nice if they could make the collection bin bigger. I empty the bin each day when I get home from work, which - while it’d be nice to go a couple days - it’s nicer to not have to worry about vacuuming the second floor. It’s really impressive what it picks up. I’ve pulled change, bobby pins, silica gel packs and even a metal bracket from a bed frame out of the bin. It has run over phone charging cords without destroying them, although we do make it a habit to keep them off the floor these days.

It’s pretty quiet. You can’t really hear it when you’re downstairs. When you’re upstairs it’s very similar to the sound level of an R/C Car. The animals were wary at first, but after a couple days they don’t even pay attention to it. Watching it vacuum is puzzling. It seems very random in its journey. I’m sure its all very formulaic and probably is actually covering all the surface area, but it does seem to move very randomly and cover some areas multiple times and not others (assuming this is the dirt detect at work). I would expect it to move in a straight line until it hit and obstruction and the turn 90 degrees to move over and then go back the way it came in parallel to the path it just cleaned. Instead, its very similar to the screen saver on the old DVD players where the logo travels until it hits the edge of the screen then ricochets at an arbitrary angle until it hits something else. Again, I haven’t actually tracked its path to determine that every square inch of floor is covered, it just has me suspicious.

In researching, I found that the 900 series models have a camera and more sophisticated tracking that leads them to take more logical paths and bump into things less. While I would’ve greatly appreciated the opportunity to review one of those models, I’m not looking a gift robot in the brushes.

It includes an invisible gate with batteries. You can use this in one of two modes to tell the Roomba not to clean certain areas. The first mode is just a straight beam you can use to block off doorways without closing the door. The second is a circular gate than projects around the beacon. Their example is setting it between dog bowls so the Roomba doesn’t run into them. I assumed I would need this for the stairs, but the Roomba’s cliff detection works so well it’s not necessary. Really, I just verified that both modes work (they do) and then threw it back in the box as I don’t need it.

The results really speak for themselves and alleviate any concerns I have about it covering the entire breadth of my upstairs. I come home to soft, freshly vacuumed carpet every day. You’d think we had a maid. It’s comforting knowing that we don’t have a colony of dust bunnies amassing beneath our beds, biding their time until they reach critical mass - launching an offensive to usurp my family and claim the house as their own. I love essentially halving my vacuuming time on my day off. I even brought it downstairs the other night and had it go over most the first floor too while I fed my daughter and did the dishes/laundry. It’s very light and easy to move around if you want to put it to work outside its normal domain. It moves between carpeted floors and hardwood/tile/vinyl seamlessly. It senses edges perfectly. I don’t have anything blocking it from our stairs and when it gets to the edge of the landing, it hits the brakes and turns around without fail. If you have it away from it’s home base (ie. using it downstairs with the base upstairs), it will just stop when it’s completed.

There is some maintenance involved with this. Let’s be honest though, if you want your vacuum to last, this is the case for any vacuum. The front wheel, brushes and filter need regular cleaning. It can all be accomplished with the included multi-tool and completed in 10 - 15 minutes. They all need to be replaced on an annual or bi-annual basis. 3 side brushes will run you 15 bucks, 3 filters are 20, front wheel is 6. They have replenishment kits that are pretty much all in one for about fifty bucks. There are also various upgraded parts, i.e. batteries and brush assemblies. It’s pretty cheap and well worth it to keep your Roomba rollin’. The app tracks when you should be replacing/cleaning various components.

I did have some issues during the first day or so where a job would inexplicably cancel. It seemed like it was complete, but I’d get a message on my phone saying that it had been cancelled. However, it hasn’t been an issue after the second day. It does take up to 48 hours for the Roomba to update to the latest software/firmware so it’s very likely that there was an issue that was fixed once it updated.

Overall, I absolutely love my Roomba. It saves me time, ensures that my floors are clean and works exactly as they claim. Having it automatically vacuum daily is perfect for those with pets as it ensures that hair and dander isn’t building up within your carpet. I’ve noticed the upstairs smells much fresher since Bender has been on the job. If you’ve been on the fence about adopting a Roomba because you have a lot of carpet and pets, I can attest that the Roomba can handle it.

Amazon.com - Customer Reviews: iRobot Roomba 690 Robot Vacuum with Wi-Fi Connectivity + Manufacturer's Warranty

Best Buy Review by TechnicallyWell :star::star::star::star::star:

Wifi Proves Useful on a Vacuum

PERFORMANCE--

When you first turn on the Roomba and it starts the cleaning process, you’ll likely notice that it kind of “ping pongs” around the room and vacuums at random. Yet, at the end of the job, you’ll notice that most (if not all) of your floor has been cleaned. So while it may not look like it at first, there apparently is a method to its madness.

The Roomba goes from my hardwood floors to my linoleum to my carpet without a hiccup. It just keeps rolling along and adapting to whatever surface it’s on. It can sense most walls and furniture and it will slow it’s approach until it’s bumper touches, at which point it will either turn or it will continue vacuuming alongside the length of the obstruction. If it detects dirt (which is does by sensing the “rattling” sound), it will concentrate on that particular area by going around in circles. A “dirt” LED light will also illuminate on the Roomba when this happens, so you’re not stuck wondering why it’s spinning around. It also updates the stats in the iRobot app to show how many “dirt detection” events occurred.

The side brush complements the Roomba’s cleaning very well. It gets those dust particles that collect near the walls that even a traditional vacuum has trouble getting to. It also helps “pull in” other debris as it goes around it’s normal route.

However, the Roomba 690 is not perfect. It sometimes gets tangled on cords you forgot were on the floor and it can get stuck under furniture. For some reason, it does not seem to detect my TV stand and will run into it at full speed, which doesn’t appear to damage the stand, but I’m starting to see some paint marks on the Roomba. But for a majority of vacuuming, the Roomba gets the job done.

FEATURES–

The predominant feature with the 690 model is its Wifi connectivity and app. I thought this was somewhat gimmicky at first. I mean, do vacuums really need to connect to the internet? However, the app does prove to be useful in several scenarios:

• You can start a cleaning task when you’re away from home. With my last robotic vacuum, as soon as I would leave my house I would often think, “Darn, I should have started the vacuum before I left.” Now, that’s not an issue, as you simply open up the app and hit the big button labeled “Clean” when you’re away from home.
  • You can check the status of the Roomba and receive a push notification when the Roomba is done or if an error occurs.
  • It provides instructional videos for cleaning the various parts of the Roomba. No more hunting for the manual.
  • It can help you locate the Roomba if it did not return to its charging station.
  • You can link the Roomba to Amazon Alexa and Google Home using the app. Now, I just need to say, “Alexa, ask Roomba to start cleaning” and the Roomba starts.

The app gave me some trouble at first, claiming that I was not on the same network as the Roomba (I was). However, this may have been due the Roomba updating it’s onboard software, as the issue cleared itself a few minutes later.

The package includes one virtual wall that can be used to keep Roomba from crossing an invisible line into another room. It can also be setup as a “radius” barrier in order to prevent the Roomba from running into pet bowls or plants.

EASE OF USE–

Assembling a robot to clean your home may sound like a daunting task, but I found the Roomba very easy to set-up. The included instructions are well illustrated and show you how to remove the packing material from the Roomba and prepare the home base.

The iRobot App will guide you through linking the Roomba to your home Wifi. This does require you to temporarily remove your phone from your home’s Wifi and connect to the Roomba’s temporary Wifi broadcast. Many other connected-home items I’ve used in the past did not require this step as they can receive the Wifi information from your phone via Bluetooth, but it appears that Bluetooth is not available on the Roomba. I was displeased that I had to create an account and password just for the iRobot App (yet another password I’ll never remember), but the process was straightforward.

Ongoing maintenance is surprisingly easy: empty the bin, clean the filter and check the brushes and the front wheel for loose strings and debris. None of the steps are difficult nor very time consuming. Again, the app can guide you through these steps as well and allows you to order replacement parts.

VALUE–

So is a robotic vacuum worth the investment? Despite my desire to have a smart home, I would often scuff at the idea of buying a robotic vacuum since I was perfectly capable of vacuuming myself. Then after I purchased my first one, I was hooked. Let’s face it: none of us have a lot of free time. And when we do, we don’t want to spend it doing something like vacuuming. But unless we want our houses to be featured on the next episode ofHoarders, vacuuming is a necessary evil. To me, a robotic vacuum is a worthwhile investment as a compliment to your regular vacuuming schedule and it frees up your time for other tasks.

Unfortunately, the Roomba won’t completely vacuum your entire house. They still haven’t developed a model that can navigate stairs or move furniture, so you will still need to occasionally run the regular ol’ vacuum. But for a majority of cleaning, the Roomba does a surprisingly thorough job.

I purchased my previous Roomba model 1.5 years ago and it is still working very well, so it would appear that iRobot produces durable machines. Overall, the Roomba 690 is a good value with convenient app-controlled features, making it a worthy ally in maintaining your home.

Bestbuy.com - Customer Reviews: iRobot Roomba 690 Robot Vacuum with Wi-Fi Connectivity + Manufacturer's Warranty

Walmart Review by Chomper :star::star::star::star::star:

WORLD CLASS CUSTOMER SERVICE

This is the best household cleaning item I've ever owned. No more backaches from pushing a vacuum around. Love it so much I got a Brava as well. It's fantastic on my tile floors. Just experienced an issue with the Roomba that was MY FAULT and the entire unit is being replaced at no cost to me. I cannot say enough about their customer service. Best experience ever!!

Walmart.com - Customer Reviews: iRobot Roomba 690 Robot Vacuum with Wi-Fi Connectivity + Manufacturer's Warranty

@geek30 I love it :slight_smile: