Lifeproof FRE SERIES Waterproof Case for iPhone 7 (ONLY) - Retail Packaging - ASPHALT (BLACK/DARK GREY) Review ⭐⭐⭐⭐:halfstar:

otter-products-emea
iphone7

To Buy Or Not Summary

:star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 3358 customers
4.3 out of 5
  • Amazon Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::emptystar: by 1124 customers
    3.9 out of 5
  • Best Buy Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 1811 customers
    4.6 out of 5
  • Walmart Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::emptystar: by 423 customers
    4.2 out of 5

Features

• Compatible with iPhone 7
  • FRE: Built-in scratch protector is virtually invisible to the eye and touch
  • full access to buttons and controls - charge and sync through the USB port.
  • Water and Snow Proof: Fully submergible to 6.6’/2 m for 1 hour
  • Sealed from snow, ice, dirt & dust particles - meets or exceeds IP-68 Ingress Protection Rating.
  • Shock Proof: Withstands drops from 6.6’/2 m - meets or exceeds MIL STD 810F-516.
  • Proper installation of a LifeProof product is important to successful use so please review the installation video and check the user manual to ensure correct installation.
  • Buy
  • Don’t buy

0 voters

Amazon Review by TM :star::star::star::emptystar::emptystar:

70 people found the following review helpful

Changed to Lifeproof Fre from Otterbox Defender, my impressions...

I just changed from an Otterbox Defender to the Lifeproof Fre, and I thought I would share some of my impressions and comparisons to the case I was using.

PROS:

• Case tested waterproof before I installed the phone, so it works.
  • Case is slim and light in comparison to the Otterbox Defender.
  • Button tactile feedback is good for the volume and sleep/wake buttons. My ringer/silent switch works just fine.
  • No issues with the fingerprint sensor on the home button at all. Work just as good as with the case off.
  • Touchscreen response is good - as good or maybe even slightly better than my Otterbox, where I would occasionally miss the spacebar and keys at that level, for some reason.
  • I notice the slight elevation of the screen protector around the home button (as other reviews mention), but I don’t see that as an issue.
  • Sound quality seems to be very good in the couple of phone calls and speakerphone calls I’ve made. I’ve asked - and no one has told me that I sound distant or muffled. Earpiece sound quality and speakerphone sound quality are both good. My last waterproof case was an older Lifeproof and they have definitely made an improvement here (based upon my limited testing). This was perhaps my most significant criteria for a waterproof case.

CONS:

• For some reason, it took me forever to get the case on without dust under the screen protector. I don’t know if it was some manufacturing debris or the included cloth, but there was always a piece or two of dust that annoyed me. I finally used some compressed air to blow off the phone and out of the case and got it debris-free.
  • Screen protector does have some mild rainbows. Not the worst I’ve seen on a phone case.
  • Screen protector is glossy, the one on my Otterbox Defender was a bit more matte. As a result, cannot see the screen at all from an angle when in bright lights (very reflective), must look dead-on. I usually keep my phone on my desk or the table at work to get a quick look at notifications that come in. With the Otterbox I could always see it from an angle at a distance; I’ve found I’ve had to pick up the phone to read with the Fre. I’ll be curious to see how it does in bright sun.
  • Screen protector is somewhat wavy. Though it doesn’t affect the touch screen sensitivity, it does cause the display to look slightly distorted if you catch it at an angle.
  • I had to open the case a few times to get the dust out from installation. Even using the enclosed “key” tool to do so, the plastic on the bottom right corner of the case got a little chewed up. I suppose this is like the first dent on a new car - over time the rest of the case will wear to match.
  • The Fre is much more hard plastic, and less rubbery than the Otterbox, so it does tend to slip from my hands and slide on desks/tables a little more than the Otterbox. I prefer a rubbery case with more stiction.
  • The case is slim and light in comparison to the Otterbox Defender. Though I highlighted this as a PRO - and it probably will be for most - the phone doesn’t feel as well protected as it did in the Otterbox. I’ve always been one to be OK with the larger size of a phone case if I felt it would give me a higher sense of security.

CONCERNS:

• I can’t say the charging port door will eventually fail, but it does seem like it will be a weak point at the hinge and the seal over time.
  • The silent/ringer switch was the first piece to fail on my older Lifeproof and as this appears to be of the same design, I expect this will also be a potential place for the new Fre case to fail long before the phone is at end of useful life.
  • The edge around the fingerprint sensor is a little sharp as it drops in to the recess. No issue functionally, but it might bother me over time.

Too early to say if I’m going to keep the Lifeproof over the Otterbox. My primary reason for switching was that dust and moisture were getting under the screen protector on the Otterbox - just from being in my pocket - based upon some of the work I do on a daily basis. I was removing it from the case every few days to clean it up. I like that I can potentially just run the Fre under the tap and wipe it off if it gets dirty, and not have to worry about sweat and dirt making its way so close to the phone. I’m going to give it some time before making a decision.

Amazon.com - Customer Reviews: Lifeproof FRE SERIES Waterproof Case for iPhone 7 (ONLY) - Retail Packaging - ASPHALT (BLACK/DARK GREY)

Walmart Review by Dani :star::star::star::emptystar::emptystar:

Good/still room for improvement

I have been using this case on my iPhone 7 for about a month now. Pros: I appreciate the waterproof feature of this case, but my favorite thing about it is the slim profile. I like that the case fully encloses my phone without adding a lot of bulk. I can't speak on the drop protection yet since I haven't dropped my phone.

Cons: It is painfully overpriced. It is a good case, but certainly not worth what Lifeproof charges for it. And then the fact that mine arrived with a few minor scuffs right out the box made it even worse. Then, there is this weird rainbow effect thing going on with the screen that drives me crazy. It sticks to my screen in certain spots in a way that makes it seem like there a small amount of condensation inside the case when there actually isn’t.

Overall good case, but I couldn’t give it 5 stars because of the minor scuffs, price, and rainbow effect on my screen.

Walmart.com - Customer Reviews: Lifeproof FRE SERIES Waterproof Case for iPhone 7 (ONLY) - Retail Packaging - ASPHALT (BLACK/DARK GREY)

Best Buy Review by indyvw :star::star::star::star::star:

Fantastic case for iPhone users

I have had a Lifeproof case on my last two iPhones and was very happy with them. They perform as advertised and do a phenomenal job protecting one of the most valuable assets a person owns nowadays. The reason I prefer the Lifeproof cases is because of how streamlined they are while still offering top level protection. I have never been a fan of bulky cases (e.g. the Otterbox or various "military grade" options), especially because I carry the phone in my pocket. The Lifeproof case allows me to still do that without sacrificing protection and durability. The new version for the iPhone 7 is even better since it doesn't have to accommodate the headphone jack anymore. It has a very sleek look and one less port to worry about sealing up. It isn't cheap, but it's worth every penny in my opinion. I highly recommend this case!!

Bestbuy.com - Customer Reviews: Lifeproof FRE SERIES Waterproof Case for iPhone 7 (ONLY) - Retail Packaging - ASPHALT (BLACK/DARK GREY)