Amazon Review by J. F. Hindy
625 people found the following review helpful
Takes a minute but they're awesome
Quick pros and cons
- The cable between the two speakers is ~5ft long. This is great for me I have a 2-monitor set-up and I needed to find a pair with a cable long enough to put them on either side. These do that with room to spare.
- The sound is clear. It actually took me by surprise. My last pair were a little more bassy so I thought something was off but really it’s just better sound reproduction. I do a lot of audio recording (voiceovers for videos, podcasting) and my voice sounds good on these. It also captures reverb very well (damn reverb, need to upgrade my audio set up next!)
- These sound nice. The highs aren’t bad, the mids aren’t bad, and the bass isn’t bad. I mean they’re not like amazing great but these are also $25 speakers. This is probably the best noise I’ve ever gotten out of $25 speakers.
- My last pair of speakers were USB powered and I grew to hate that. These are AC powered (6ft long power cable) and that makes me happy.
- The volume has a good, high quality feel to it.
- The speakers are deceptively light and made of plastic, but they look really nice with my whole set up.
- The 2.5" drivers per speaker definitely do their job. Also, these speakers can get pretty loud before getting all nasty sounding. Not like rattle-the-windows loud, but definitely louder than you’ll need them to be.
- The tone knob is rubbish. Put it in the center and use your computer’s system equalizer if you need to mess with it.
- These things are huge! Easily the size of my forearm. I wasn’t expecting them to be that large. It ended up not being a problem (hence no stars removed).
- Read other thoughts
These things take a bit to “burn in”. I had them shipped and it’s winter time so they may have just been cold but the first couple of hours I spent tweaking every setting on my computer trying to figure out why everything sounded so muted. The bass sounded fine, but the mids and highs sounded a tad muffled (like the sound you get when you put your hand over a speaker.
I turned the music off, reset everything to default (where I had started from) and let them chill for a few hours. Then, while I was out, I put them up on moderate volume and, without messing with any equalizers, put some music on and left them playing for 5 or so hours. Once they warmed up and got a little burn in, they sounded much better.
For most cases I use default on all the system noises but in Winamp I chose a preset that boosts the bass and treble a little bit. Even when burnt in, the lows and bass need a little boosting to keep up with the mids. Now I’m quite happy with how everything sounds.
They require a little work, but once you get them settled in these are a fantastic pair of speakers and probably among the best you can get until you start getting into 2.1 speakers.
Update August 1st, 2014
I bought a second pair of these speakers. My girlfriend’s speakers died and I gave her the original ones I bought (still going strong after 7 months) and I bought myself another pair. This time it was shipped during the summer so the speakers weren’t submitted to the harsh, frigid cold of winter time like the first pair. Thanks to this, the problems I experienced the first time around were much less pronounced and much easier to fix. The “burn-in” wasn’t really required at all and once I got the volume and such configured everything worked pretty well. It took me about a day with the first pair but this time around it only took a couple of hours of use before they sounded good. I guess that means most of the problems were simply because they were cold when I first plugged them in.
It keeps its 5 star rating. I have bought two of these and would buy a third. I’ll update if either of these break down but until then, I’m still happy with my purchase.
Still gets my vote on the best $25 speakers around. I’d say I’d buy them again but I just kind of did so yeah I’d probably buy them a third time.
Update May 6th, 2015
Happened to be goofing around notice that this was the highest rated review. Cool! So I thought I’d do an update. Both sets of these speakers still work flawlessly (my girlfriend’s pair that I gave her and my current pair). They both still sound great. If these broke, I would still buy these over again (unless, of course, I had like some serious cash to spend on a serious set of speakers).
I still do my audio recordings, albeit on much better hardware than before. My recordings still sound great on these. I’ve had no problems with them whatsoever. They survived moving without breaking and a fried motherboard without flinching. I still recommend these to people
Update December 18th, 2016
Still the best ~$25 speakers out there. Both pairs still work after years of use. These days I have to keep the sound down as my roommate works night shift so these actually didn’t get used for about 10 months (been using headphones). Turned em on and cranked em up a bit and it’s the same old speakers I remember. Again, I proclaim, that unless I’m spending serious money on serious speakers, these are still my cheap go-to speakers. So happy they still sell these.