monoprice

To Buy Or Not Summary

:star::star::star::halfstar::emptystar: by 598 customers
3.6 out of 5
  • Amazon Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::halfstar::emptystar: by 598 customers
    3.6 out of 5

Features

• Print Now: Unlike DIY kits, this printer comes almost fully assembled, requiring just 4 screws to secure the frame to the base and 2 screws to attach the filament holder. Additionally, the printer comes with everything you need, including sample PLA filament and a microSD card with sample 3D model files, ready to print!
  • Large Volume: The large 8" x 8" build plate and generous 7" vertical spacing means that you can print larger, more complex models.
  • Heated build plate allows for high-reliability printing of slow cooling materials, such as ABS
  • Buy
  • Don’t buy

0 voters

Amazon Review by Terrillja :star::star::emptystar::emptystar::emptystar:

11 people found the following review helpful

Printer #1Started smoking, could have cought fire, Printer #2 came with shot bearing(s)

12/11/16 replacement printer: Replacement machine came with shot bearings. The bed shuddered and made a horrible racket moving back and forth. Verified that all bearings were in place, they were. So I replaced the bearings myself rather than send the machine back and wait again. So far Sparky #2 has been good for 2 weeks of printing, no fires, no smoking components. The board and connectors are identical to Sparky #1 in case anyone is interested, there were no visible hardware revisions. Keeping my review at 2 stars as printer #1 died in spectacular fashion and #2 came with at least 1 shot bearing. The OEM print surface also drove me nuts, I put a glass bed on and am much happier.

Sparky #1 Review:
Printer failed in a cloud of smoke in less than a week. Mid-print the printer started spewing smoke. Took the bottom off and saw that one of the chips is clearly cooked. There is no cooling on the stepper drivers, which concerns me. Not sure if I will order another one, I’m concerned that it would have caused a fire if I didn’t pull the power right away. This incident was reported to CPSC.

In terms of assembly, the manual is useless. How a company can release a product without making an intern put an item together following the manual is beyond me. It sounds like a lot of people have issues with this printer as well. I wish monoprice would spend $20 more for higher quality components.

Amazon.com - Customer Reviews: Monoprice Maker Select Plus 3D Printer