NETGEAR N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender, Essentials Edition (EX2700) Review ⭐⭐⭐⭐:emptystar:

netgear

To Buy Or Not Summary

:star::star::star::star::emptystar: by 21789 customers
4.0 out of 5
  • Amazon Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::emptystar: by 21573 customers
    4.0 out of 5
  • Best Buy Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::emptystar: by 124 customers
    4.0 out of 5
  • Walmart Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 92 customers
    4.3 out of 5

Features

• Ideal for extending WiFi to devices like the iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S3, iPad 2, and PlayStation 3
  • Extend WiFi up to 300Mbps
  • Convenient wall-plug design
  • Works with any standard router or gateway
  • Fast Ethernet Port to connect a wired device
  • External antennas for better performance
  • Buy
  • Don’t buy

0 voters

Amazon Review by Minnie I. :star::star::star::emptystar::emptystar:

3174 people found the following review helpful

Poor Instructions But Not Too Bad If You Use a Mobile Device

The way to connect this extender is by using a Kindle Fire, Android Tablet, iPad or other mobile device. The instructions are not very clear on what you need to install the device. So if you assume you can install this device using your desktop computer and that you'll be able to find the "wireless manager," you probably will have difficulty. In fact, some of the online questions for Netgear and Microsoft are where do you find the manager and how do you make it work. Unfortunately, the answers are typical techno-speak and basically difficult or impossible to follow. So for those who cannot read between the lines of the instructions, the way you install this is:
  1. Plug in the device. It will probably take several seconds, sometimes minutes, before the power light registers green. Do not despair. The instructions won’t tell you that this will take some time, but it does.
  2. Get out your iPad, Kindle Fire, or other WIRELESS tablet or device. DON’T EXPECT TO USE YOUR DESKTOP computer to make the connection. Go to the “Settings” of your wireless device and wait for it to recognize your router name plus a suffix ___EXT. When that appears, choose that wifi connection. You will be asked for the same password you use on your real router. Enter that password.
  3. You will be taken to a website for setting up the extender. If you try to access this website from your DESKTOP computer, you’ll get an error message. Once you get to this website, the instructions in the package will start to make sense.
  4. When you’ve finished the set up, unplug the extender and take it to the location where you want to boost the wireless connectivity. Again, using your mobile device (or other computer), use the “Settings” menu to find the widi connection. Choose the network connection with your wireless name PLUS the ___EXT suffix. The password will be the same as your regular wifi network.

The devices in proximity to the extender will receive a better wifi signal. I think the device is fine, but the instructions were not very well done. I think it would be helpful if the writers had made it clear that you need to use a MOBILE device (not just a computer, tablet, etc.) to set this up. In other words, you cannot set this up (at least not that I was able to discover) with your regular desktop computer. With an iPad or Kindle Fire, the process is very easy and provides decent boosted wifi. I gave this a the three-star because this installation process could have been so much clearer with more precise instructions or even a quick little video.

UPDATE: Well, we just had to upgrade our router/gateway. I am sorry to say that this extender was just as bothersome to set up using the reset as before. My instructions still worked BUT you cannot do this on an iPhone. For some reason even after you enter the correct router password, the latest iPhone OS will not let you access the continue button. I was able to set this up using my Kindle Fire HDX. I have since purchased this router: MSRM US750 750M Dual Band Wi-Fi Range Extender Wireless WiFi Repeater With Dual External Antennas and 360 Degree WiFi Covering, which was much simpler to set up and seems to be providing the same level of access. (I did use an iPhone to set it up.) I tested both extenders using a dead spot/download speed app, and they appear to work about the same. (There also are less expensive versions of this MSRM router that others say work well.) So, I’ve turned off my Netgear router…for now, but am keeping it as a back-up.

Amazon.com - Customer Reviews: NETGEAR N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender, Essentials Edition (EX2700)

Walmart Review by Raven :star::star::star::star::star:

66 people found the following review helpful

Great product

I live in a camper beside my moms house and was only able to pick up 1 bar on my phone for wifi. So I got this and I now get 3 bars and it's super fast. I mainly got it for my ps4. I used to get 48% signal on my ps4, now I get 100%. It's a really great product. My Netflix has little to no interruptions and I can play black ops 3 perfectly fine ;). It has a Ethernet port as well, so if you want to hardwire your laptop or console to it, you can.

However; lemme tell you the setup was a atrocity. It was tragic. The directions weren’t right for my Mac. I ended up having to connect manually to my router. At the end of the set up it would bring me to a page that said “you are not connected to Internet”. I didn’t know I was supposed to wait on that page until it refreshed by itself. But I would recommend this. Great product

Walmart.com - Customer Reviews: NETGEAR N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender, Essentials Edition (EX2700)

check out this youtube video

Netgear N300 WiFi Range Extender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftKPpOZbfGo

Best Buy Review by SenZen :star::star::star::star::star:

Works fine

This is a small and easy to set up wifi extender. The easiest way for me to set it up was by having my laptop find its wifi name (SSID) among all the available networks, once connected it opens a special page on a browser and takes you step by step; WDS configuration didn't work, but that's probably down to my ISP's poor choice of modem. I had to move it around to find the best location between my router and an old Mac Mini which had trouble connecting - my laptop and phone connect fine. Once this was done it has worked like a charm.

Remember that water and metal interfere with the wifi signal, I had to move my router a little as my water heater is smack in the middle of the apartment.

Bestbuy.com - Customer Reviews: NETGEAR N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender, Essentials Edition (EX2700)