Olympus TG-5 Waterproof Camera with 3-Inch LCD, Red (V104190RU000) ⭐⭐⭐⭐:emptystar:

olympus

To Buy Or Not Summary

:star::star::star::star::emptystar: by 155 customers
4.0 out of 5
  • Amazon Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::emptystar: by 108 customers
    3.8 out of 5
  • Best Buy Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 47 customers
    4.5 out of 5

Features

• New 12MP Hi-Speed Image Sensor for improved low light performance and noise reduction
  • Bright F2.0 high-speed Lens. Video Recording format : MOV(MPEG-4AVC/H.264)
  • Dual Quad Core TruePic VIII Image Processor
  • Field sensor system with GPS, Manometer, Compass, and temperature sensors
  • Waterproof to 50 feet, F, Dustproof, Crushproof to 220 lbf, Shockproof from 7 feet, Freezeproof to 14 degrees, Anti-Fog lens
  • Buy
  • Don’t buy

0 voters

Amazon Review by :star::star::star::star::star:

171 people found the following review helpful

Fantastic Super Macro Capabilities, terrible WiFi, mediocre user interface. Still 5 stars.

It's obvious that Olympus designed this series of camera to provide major benefits over cell phone cameras. (tough, underwater and super macro). I bought this camera for the sole purpose of documenting flaws in tiny precision parts. The microscope mode is simply amazing combined with the LG-1 light guide. Here's a summary of my likes and dislikes. Even though I have some issues with the camera it still deserves 5 stars.

+: Microscope mode is simply amazing. You can focus as close as 1cm and zoom 4X optically. The built in focus stacking will process several images to maximize sharpness. With the LG-1 light guide you get perfect lighting up close. If this isn’t enough you can choose digital zoom to magnify zoom by factors of 1X, 2X or 4X. (obviously image quality degrades at these high settings)
+: The camera feels very well built.
+: 4K video, GPS and waterproof are all nice features to have but I haven’t used them yet.
+: Std. micro USB data/charging cable vs proprietary cable

-: The biggest disappointment is WiFi. The primitive WiFi only works with cell phones. You cannot use WiFi over a network/PC. I don’t know of any photographers that post process and archive their images on a cell phone. My older Panasonics have much better built in WiFi.
-: The user interface is just OK. Some modes and settings are just not very obvious and somewhat cluttered. Having the full user manual is a must and I see that Olympus has finally put it on their US website. (the included Quick Start guide is worthless)
-: While in microscope mode, there is no provision for user tweaks to aperture or program shift. Although focus stacking is great to have, you cannot select the size of the stack. (I think three images is all it can stack but focus bracketing gives you more options if you want to do your own stacking).

P.S. The gear in the images is about .300" O.D. The first image was taken at min. focus distance of about 1 cm using 4X optical zoom and focus stacking. The second image adds 4X digital zoom for a total of 16X.

Amazon.com - Customer Reviews: Olympus TG-5 Waterproof Camera with 3-Inch LCD, Red (V104190RU000)

here is a nice youtube video

Olympus TG 5 Waterproof Camera with 3 Inch LCD, Red V104190RU000

@barbarogailee not sure