Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8-Inch Tablet (Wi-Fi)(16 GB, Smoky Titanium) Review ⭐⭐⭐⭐:halfstar:

samsung-it

To Buy Or Not Summary

:star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 9275 customers
4.6 out of 5
  • Amazon Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 1948 customers
    4.5 out of 5
  • Best Buy Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 4725 customers
    4.6 out of 5
  • Walmart Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 2602 customers
    4.7 out of 5

Features

• Android 5.0 Lollipop, 8-inch Display
  • Samsung Quad Core Processor, 1.2 GHz
  • 16 GB Flash Memory, 1.5 GB RAM Memory
  • microSD Card Slot (Up to 128GB)
  • Supports WIFI only (Does not support 3g, LTE)
  • Display Resolution: 1024 x 768 XGA
  • Buy
  • Don’t buy

0 voters

Walmart Review by KARC73 :star::star::star::star::star:

53 people found the following review helpful

Absolutely Love It To The Max

I am I huge Samsung fan, but I didn't let that cloud my judgement or stop me from doing Lots of research on tablets before I ordered one. Me and my nine year old daughter both have gone through two tablets each, that's four tablets, in less than two years. All were $125 or less but didn't expect then to only last a year. I don't mind paying good money for a good product that's gonna last and believe be this better be the last tablet I have to buy, atleast for a while any ways. I just don't have anything bad to say about the Samsung Galaxy Tab A. It has everything you want and need in a tablet and can take a 128gb SD card. I bought one for my daughter for Christmas and she loved it so much that I just had to buy myself one too, my tablet still had to be replaced anyways. I have used it everyday since and I truly love it, I knew Samsung wouldn't let me down. I would recommend this tablet and you'll be glad you did, it's not over priced and is just as good if not better than the more expensive ones. I Lve My Samsung Galaxy Tab A!

Walmart.com - Customer Reviews: Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8-Inch Tablet (Wi-Fi)(16 GB, Smoky Titanium)

Amazon Review by Farhan K :star::star::star::star::emptystar:

76 people found the following review helpful

A great budget tablet that performs better than what it price suggests

I own both the models of Galaxy Tab A 9.7 and 8.0 in our household and the Tab A 8.0 is the one I use personally all them time mainly because of its compact size which is great for one handed use and a sharper screen . I purchased the Tab A 8.0 after deliberating considerably whether to go for the Tab A 8.0 or the newer Tab E . In the end I choose the Tab A because if felt much more premium in hands compared to the Tab E. Here's how I feel these both the Tab A 9.7 & 8.0 tablets stack up against each other if you're considering either of the two :

BUILD QUALITY

• Both the tablets are made of plastic with a metallic frame that runs around its sides. Despite its plastic construction these tablets do not feel cheap in any way ( The newer Tab E in comparison feels cheaper) with its soft touch matte finish plastic
  • The color choices on the tablet is great , having owned both the White & ‘Smoky Titanium’ colors - you cant go wrong with either of them . The white color is a nice soft metallic white with a slight pearl effect and the ‘Smoky Titanium’ is more of a metallic gunmetal shade - a good departure of the standard solid whites ,greys or blacks found on most other tablets

FEATURES & PERFORMANCE

• Both the Tab A 8.0 & 9.7 feature the same Qualcomm SnapDragon 410 processor - A mid range quad core 64 Bit 1.2 Ghz processor released in 2014
  • Both the 8.0" and 9.7" scored pretty similarly on the AnTuTu synthetic benchmark owing to their similar hardware specifications (see pics)
  • Both 9.7" and 8.0" tablets feature screens with 768 X 1024 resolution which gives them a pixel density ( higher values mean sharper images & text) of 160 PPI for the 8.0" model and 132 PPI on the 9.7" model
  • The 160 PPI pixel density on the 8.0" is adequate for most uses , including browsing text heavy websites like Wikipedia , without having to zoom in too much. The pixelation is much more noticeable on the 9.7" model
  • The screen colors are rich and vibrant with good viewing angles
  • The 8.0" tab features a 4200 mAh battery which is good for 1.5 days of heavy use , the only issue here is it charges rather slowly at max of 1A as compared to the max charging current of 2A on the 9." model
  • In terms of performance , it can easily handle about 3 simultaneous tabs in the chrome browser after which the limitations & slowdowns due to its 1.5GB RAM become apparent (Both models have 1.5GB RAM)
  • The single speaker at the bottom of the 8.0" model is pretty weak and you would usually have to turn up the volume above 75% to hear anything clearly (as opposed to better dual stereo speakers on the 9.7" model)
  • The tablet does have an expandable MircoSD card slot which is great

THE GOOD

• The 8.0 model has a rich and vibrant screen with good viewing angles and sufficient resolution for everyday use
  • Touchscreen sensitivity and fluidity is great with not stuttery UI performance
  • The 8.0 screen size is ideal for one handed use , yet offer enough real estate for media consumption like pictures or videos.
  • The tablet performance is more than adequate, I had no issues running 1080P movies on the Netflix app , browsing with 3-4 tabs open or playing light games like Temple Run, Subway Surfer etc
  • I absolutely love Samsung’s implementation of multi-tasking which allows you to run two compatible apps side by side in windowed form . This is one feature , which once you get used to, you will be using very often
  • Expandable storage
  • Its upgraded to the latest Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow OS

THE NOT SO GOOD

• Weak single speaker
  • the 5MP rear and 2MP front camera’s are not that great, though they are sufficient for video chatting
  • Average battery life of 1.5 days and very slow charging speeds at 1A
  • For these reasons I take away one star

FINAL THOUGHTS
Overall I really like the Tab A 8.0 (over our Tab A 9.7) and can highly recommend it to you as you get a great form factor , decent screen resolution and performance with bright vivid colors and expandable storage all for under a $150 price tag. In fact i still choose this tablet over heavily discounted Ipad Mini during Black Friday 2016 as I felt it fulfilled my requirements sufficiently and gave more bang for my buck

Amazon.com - Customer Reviews: Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8-Inch Tablet (Wi-Fi)(16 GB, Smoky Titanium)

Here is a nice video

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0: Unboxing & Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of35klfXfo0

Best Buy Review by Cooper :star::star::star::star::star:

Unless you're elite gamer, GO BUY IT!

I bought this mainly to play Android Games on, and I do a little Google searching. I have an older Samsung Note tablet that is a powerhog and kills the battery in 57 minutes, up to 1 hour 11 minutes, so I decided that I needed battery stamina in the new tablet. This uses the Smart Manager, like what my S6 phone does, that limits background app battery usage, and I'm not sure how well that works, and I'm not sure it's even necessary for me.

I have the screen brightness at around 1/4 of the way up, as I do with just about every tablet I’ve ever used, my laptop, everything. I play Clash of Clans, Boom Beach (got pulled into those via the kids), Real Racing 3, Airborne 8, and Crossy Road mainly, but I’ve got half a dozen other games installed that I play too. So they’re not top of the end games, but my old tablet died in an hour playing them. It looks great doing it, but it simply dies way too fast.

Last night, at 26% battery remaining, this tablet informed me it had been on for 28 HOURS!!! So, if you want battery life, this is it. This has the longest battery life of any tablet I’ve ever used, and I’ve went from the “overseas” junk up to the top end Samsungs… I am impressed.

The video isn’t top of the line, however on an 8" screen, unless you sit this tablet next to the Note2, it’s tough to tell the difference. The games play fine, with minimal lag on startup on Airborne, but it’s an issue of their ad coming on with the initial home screen IMO. The screen is NOT bad, has a good viewing angle, is bright, has good color. It may not be a 4k screen, but who REALLY needs that? If you want to pay $600 for a tablet, fine, but for me, under $200, and cheaper than that on sale, it does the job, and does it well. It is the clear “bang for the buck” champion.

Stop reading, and start ordering, you won’t be disappointed!

Bestbuy.com - Customer Reviews: Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8-Inch Tablet (Wi-Fi)(16 GB, Smoky Titanium)