Samsung Gear VR - Virtual Reality Headset - Latest Edition (US Version with Warranty) Review ⭐⭐⭐⭐:halfstar:

samsung-electronics

To Buy Or Not Summary

:star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 7170 customers
4.3 out of 5
  • Amazon Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::emptystar: by 1304 customers
    4.0 out of 5
  • Best Buy Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 5681 customers
    4.4 out of 5
  • Walmart Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 185 customers
    4.6 out of 5

Features

• Turn your compatible Samsung Galaxy smartphone into a completely portable and wireless virtual reality machine.
  • Easy to use touch pad with dedicated Back and Home buttons
  • Wide field of view, precise head-tracking and low latency brings reality to the virtual, Be transported to amazing new worlds, in games, video and images, Thousands of 360 degree panoramic photos
  • Accelerometer, Gyrometer, Proximity (Mount/Unmount Detection)
  • Compatible with: Samsung Galaxy S7, Galaxy S7 edge, Galaxy Note5, Galaxy S6 edge+, Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge
  • Buy
  • Don’t buy

0 voters

Amazon Review by Tim H. :star::star::star::star::star:

149 people found the following review helpful

Awesome Product! READ THIS FOR DIRECTIONS ON OVERHEATING!

Got it free as a Best Buy promo deal when I switched cell networks and upgrading my old Galaxy S5 to an S7. Short and simple, this is an amazing product and it shows where technology is heading in the future.

Pros:
Great visibility, really immerses you in the environment
Tons of free pictures and videos from various companies (Samsung, Occulus, HTC, Facebook, NBC etc)
Surprisingly comfortable to wear. Watched Capt America and its like being in an imax theater. No physical issues.
Easy to use touchpad and directional buttons on side of unit. Pretty fluid.
Games are awesome (Try Tactera or EndSpace)
Since your phone is the primary hardware, you can connect to any BT audio source. (Can create minor overheating however).
Has a charger on bottom to plug in to power source so your phone stay’s charged.

Cons:
Drains your phones batteries quick if not plugged in
After a while, my eyes tend to strain as it can be like looking through a moving porthole on some apps
Not all games are 360 degree immersive
Games can be expensive and very few have trailers to sample the games.
Occulus’s software UX is a bit cumbersome.
Games are still in infantile stage and some need a controller (however you can get one for as low as $20 on Amazon)
Not all headphone will allow insertion into the jack (My S7 is on the bottom). You may have to get an extension.
The cover wont close itself unless the phone input is set to accommodate a phablet (Note 5, 6, 7).

THE OVERHEATING ISSUE:
So when I first tried the VR, after 5 mins a warning came up that my phone was overheating. I ignored it and then it started to lag really bad. Super annoying.
After reading some forums, it’s a common issue and very easy to fix.

1. Put phone on airplane mode and turn on wifi when at home. 4g data eats your ram and makes your gpu work harder.
  2. Turn off BT and put in headphones. It doesn’t have as drastic an effect as going to only wifi, but it helps.
  3. Eliminate any background programs running. The more programs you have running, the harder your phones gpu has to work and the hotter it will get trying to manage all the processes.

Since I did this I’ve worn the VR for over two hours continuously and had no overheating notifications and very minimal lag.

This is the future of gaming and entertainment for sure. What would be great is if you could link VRs and watch movies or play games with other people.

Amazon.com - Customer Reviews: Samsung Gear VR - Virtual Reality Headset - Latest Edition (US Version with Warranty)

Walmart Review by NotFor6SActive :star::emptystar::emptystar::emptystar::emptystar:

6 people found the following review helpful

Won't fit phone S6 Active and Unable to return

Unable to fit slightly thicker Samsung 6S active body. Vendor will not allow return if box is opened.

No documentation that it doesn’t work on 6S.

Walmart.com - Customer Reviews: Samsung Gear VR - Virtual Reality Headset - Latest Edition (US Version with Warranty)

here is a youtube video

Gear VR Full Review!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ4gp-_XHvk

Best Buy Review by TeamBrittana :star::star::star::star::star:

The Future is Here!

I cannot express what a fantastic experience using the Samsung Gear VR is.

Expect to spend about 15 minutes setting your Gear VR up; it can be tricky attaching the two straps and adjusting them for a comfy fit, and then you’ll do more adjustments to fit your phone into the headset (there are options depending on phone model). Install the software as prompted when you put on the headset for the first time, and you’re ready to go.

For the optimum viewing experience, I wipe my phone with a damp washcloth and dry it with a microfiber cloth, then, if needed, I wipe the lenses with a dry microfiber cloth (both sides). There’s nothing more annoying than having dust or smudges obscure the brilliant picture of the Gear VR. I advise decent headphones (with a cord, NOT Bluetooth) and the Stratus XL game controller.

You’re transported into a whole new world when you’re using the Gear VR. Tons of content is available for free-- everything from rollercoaster rides at Six Flags to Cirque du Soleil shows to addictive games. I recommend downloading content rather than streaming (simple to delete when you’re done). If you have subscriptions to Netflix and Hulu, you can use their VR apps to watch shows, movies, trailers, and exclusive content on a virtual big screen. Content that isn’t free is usually around 5 bucks at most, which is a bargain for games like GunSight and Dreadhalls (have your controller ready!). But there is enough free content to satisfy most people. The gorgeous (free) game Smash Hit is not to be missed.

A note of caution: VR is so immersive that some people may experience motion sickness. My dad has complained of this several times; he says it’s the same feeling he gets on spinning rides at theme parks. Aside from the potential for motion sickness, your phone will heat up pretty quickly, so I try to limit my sessions to half an hour.

Low price, extremely entertaining, and a great gadget to show off to friends and family.

Bestbuy.com - Customer Reviews: Samsung Gear VR - Virtual Reality Headset - Latest Edition (US Version with Warranty)