Amazon Review by Tech Insider
169 people found the following review helpful
It's a nice geeky device, but still, there is a room for improvements
I received this VR with a pre-order of my Samsung Galaxy S8+.
1) Should you upgrade your Gear VR if you have 2016 model?
- No. Samsung stayed faithful to the design of their previous model of VR and there are no radical changes. It's all plastic design, still a bit bulky, as for me.
- Should you upgrade your Gear VR if you have 2015 model?
- Yes. It’s more comfortable, it has a wider field of view, it has a better touchpad, it supports new Samsung phones and overall it has more sense of immersion.
- What do I think about the new controller?
- I love the new controller, it’s a game changer for gear VR not only for the game but also for navigation through the main Iances. It’s much easier and comfortable to just use a controller instead of trying to sweat the touchpad on your head. It’s definitely worth the money and you should get it if you want to step up the game. And regarding the game and gear just try to drop that with this new controller, you will understand how powerful this little
piece of technology can be. It’s a 10 out of 10 product and this is a must have companion for gear VR users.
4)Do I prefer a new gear VR to the Google Daydream?
- Yes, it is an overall better experience, considering the available apps, the controller the headset and the level of comfort.
- How do I compare gear VR with Oculus Rift, HTC Vive and PS VR?
- There isn’t anything to compare - you can’t compare mobile VR to a PC-based or constant-base VR. It’s like apples and oranges. The PC based VR or console based VR headsets are built for gaming and they use the power of a PC or console to operate. They are much more expensive.
VR in 2017 is still a raw product and if it wasn’t a free pre-order gift, I would probably not buy it. There is still a few games and apps, phones should have at least 4K screen (I can see pixels now). And the whole device looks a bit bulky. I can watch 360 videos in it, and this is the pleasure. But I get a bit nauseous after 15 minutes. It’s a nice geeky device, but still, there is a room for improvements.