Samsung U28E590D 28-Inch UHD LED-Lit Monitor with Freesync support Review ⭐⭐⭐⭐:emptystar:

samsung-it

To Buy Or Not Summary

:star::star::star::star::emptystar: by 2085 customers
4.2 out of 5
  • Amazon Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::emptystar: by 993 customers
    3.9 out of 5
  • Best Buy Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 1054 customers
    4.5 out of 5
  • Walmart Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 38 customers
    4.7 out of 5

Features

• Comfortable and Immersive Viewing Experience. Easy on the Eyes with Flicker Free and Eye Saver Mode
  • Optimized Entertainment Experience, Energy Efficient
  • Discover Realistic UHD Picture Quality. AMD FreeSync with 1ms Response
  • Experience More than 1 Billion Colors. Easy Multitasking with PIP 2.0
  • Resolution: 3840 x 2160. Mega DCR Contrast Ratio
  • Buy
  • Don’t buy

0 voters

Amazon Review by Kevin :star::star::star::star::star:

818 people found the following review helpful

Amazing Monitor - Early Adopter Warning

As this review is for the monitor I will give it the 5 stars it deserves. Yes, there is no Vesa mount capabilities, however, that is not a selling point for me. It may be for some buyers. The monitor itself has beautiful colors and a respectable refresh rate that pc gamers can take advantage of.

My warning to early adopters is the following: The only way you are going to get a decent refresh rate of 60hz in games is with multiple video cards. For those of you out there with Nvidia SLI, be warned! Nvidia currently has NO SLI DRIVER support for the 4k resolution. To reiterate, this monitor WILL NOT display 4k in SLI as of right now and it will max out at 1440p. There is a very active Nvidia forum thread with users complaining of this very issue. Nvidia has issued a statement that they know what the fix is and will implement it in the next driver update. However, they did not give an ETA. So, as of right now, this monitor is basically useless for gaming until Nvidia releases the driver update.

I also tested this monitor out on my Retina Macbook Pro. DO NOT buy a 4k monitor for your Macbook Pro until Apple releases 10.9.3 this fall. OS 10.9.2 (current version) does not scale well in 4k and looks absolutely terrible. Don’t bother just yet.

UPDATE Nvidia driver update 337.61 does not fix the SLI issue with this monitor. The max resolution in SLI after installing 337.61 is still 1440p. Still waiting for a fix.

UPDATE 2 It has occurred to me that the way I worded my review makes it seem like this monitor does not work with SLI at all. If you use this monitor with HDMI it WILL work with SLI at 4k however it will not go above 30hz. The vast majority of people that purchase this monitor AND have multiple video cards will be using the DisplayPort connection. 30hz simply isn’t fast enough for gaming. Sorry for any confusion and I hope this clears everything up. I will update one last time when Nvidia releases the fix.

UPDATE 3 Some people have messaged me and said that their 780TI cards get the native resolution of this monitor while in SLI. I honestly don’t know why these cards work but others do not. The fact remains that there is something wrong and Nvidia has confirmed that the next driver update should resolve the issues that most users are experiencing. Purchase at your own risk until Nvidia releases this patch. Once again, I will update this review when these drivers are released and I have confirmed they do in fact resolve my issues.

FINAL UPDATE Nvidia beta driver 337.88 came out today (5/26/14) and it resolves the issues I point out above.

Amazon.com - Customer Reviews: Samsung U28E590D 28-Inch UHD LED-Lit Monitor with Freesync support

Walmart Review by Baby79 :star::star::star::star::star:

Beautiful

Cant believe how crisp the picture is. WOW I love this monitor

Walmart.com - Customer Reviews: Samsung U28E590D 28-Inch UHD LED-Lit Monitor with Freesync support

Best Buy Review by Titan5178 :star::star::star::star::star:

Excellent entry level 4k monitor for early adopter

I've been using a Samsung 1920x1200 monitor for the past 6 years so when I decided to add a second monitor to my desk I was buying with the idea that I will also use this new monitor for just as long.

This is the reason why I chose to spend extra and get a 4K monitor at a time when 4K support is pretty limited. It also has the inputs I was looking for although I wish it included dual DisplayPort connectors.

Just so you know DisplayPort is the only way to get 4K content at 60Hz. With HDMI, you can do 4K at 30Hz or lesser resolutions at 60Hz.

Connectivity:

DisplayPort is hooked up to my Macbook Pro which is about 3 years old so the best it can do is 2560x1440 resolution. Even though the monitor is not displaying in its native 4K resolution it still looks fantastic.

HDMI Port 1 is connected to my Linux desktop which can display 4K. I use this if I actually want to view content in 4K. Some of the 4K content that you can find is breathtaking when viewed on this monitor. It’s much more appreciable when you are sitting 2-3 feet from a 4k monitor versus trying to watch it on a 4K TV where you really won’t see the detail from the distance that most people watch their TVs.

HDMI port 2 is used for gaming with my PS4 and it has quickly become one of my favorite display devices to game on.

PIP: The PIP (Picture-in-Picture) is a nice feature but it’s usefulness is limited. It’s nice to be able to put my PS4 for example into a smaller window of my desktop but things on your computer screen can get hidden behind this inset. The side-by-side feature is much more useful if you need to use more than one ipnut at a time as long as you are ok with each view being vertical. This feature doesn’t work well at all with input from my Linux machine.

Sound: I love how I can route the sound through my monitor and out to my external THX speaker system. Whichever source is displayed on the monitor is output to my speaker system, whether is is the sounds of my Mac through DisplayPort or the sounds of my games through HDMI. There is a volume control on the monitor that’s easilly accessible through the jog wheel if you are using headphones. I keep it at 100% and control the sound with my external speakers.

Menu: The menu and configuration buttons are on the back of the monitor on the right hand side in the form of a “jog wheel” so it can be a little awkward to change inputs or any other settings but unless you are trying to configure PIP you won’t be using the menu often, so it works fine.

Stand and Mounting: The stand is not adjustable and there are no mounting holes to do a wall mount with this monitor. For me, this is not a problem.

Bestbuy.com - Customer Reviews: Samsung U28E590D 28-Inch UHD LED-Lit Monitor with Freesync support

Samsung 28" 4K UHD Monitor U28E590D unboxing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf67XyX1oT0