Samsung UN50HU6950 50-Inch 4K Ultra HD 60Hz Smart LED TV (2014 Model) Review ⭐⭐⭐⭐:emptystar:

samf9

To Buy Or Not Summary

:star::star::star::star::emptystar: by 376 customers
4.2 out of 5
  • Amazon Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::emptystar: by 285 customers
    4.1 out of 5

• Walmart Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 91 customers
    4.5 out of 5

Features

• Refresh Rate: 60Hz (Native)
  • 240 Clear Motion Rate (Effective)
  • Backlight: LED (Edge-Lit)
  • Smart Functionality: Yes - Voice Control & Motion Control (camera accessory sold separately)
  • Dimensions (W x H x D): TV without stand: 44.4’’ x 24.3’’ x 2’’, TV with stand: 44.4’’ x 27.6’’ x 10.8’’
  • Inputs: 4 HDMI, 3 USB, 1 Component In, 1 Composite AV In
  • Accessories Included: Smart Touch Remote
  • Buy
  • Don’t buy

0 voters

Walmart Review by thebigbB :star::star::star::star::star:

58 people found the following review helpful

wow!it's as if you're on stage with the actors

i had 1080i that due to constant power losses from remc without any notice ahead of time, they finally damaged to where i had to replace it.remc, knowing what their continued power losses will do to electronics and appliances should warn us ahead of time because these power losses were not due to storms,just as the telephone co. will call at any hour of the night to tell us a storm is around. boy is that a terrible idea.back to the tv. the picture is like 3D in that it's so clear you see depth and highth. going over a cliff in a plane on this tv you think and feel you are going over the cliff. many shoiws and movies appear, to us the viewer, as if we are on stage as its being filmed. believe me when i say this takes some getting used to. the other plus to this tv is that u don't need 3d glasses to enjoy and until they develope 3d using universal glasses for all 3d tv's or get rid of the glasses all together it'ss the beta verses vhs, or blueray and hd. war all over again. the picture is truely superior to 1080p that u must see to appreciate and more and more tv and films asre being filmed in 4K UHD. p.s. if you live in se in. you might want to get the extra warranty from walmart due to these power loss problems of remc to protect it.

Walmart.com - Customer Reviews: Samsung UN50HU6950 50-Inch 4K Ultra HD 60Hz Smart LED TV (2014 Model)

Here is a nice video

Samsung UN40HU6950 40-Inch 4K Ultra HD 60Hz Smart LED TV Review Impression

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC7TzO-fB54

Amazon Review by David :star::star::emptystar::emptystar::emptystar:

712 people found the following review helpful

Does not support full-resolution chroma (4K 4:4:4): only does 4K 4:2:0 via HDMI2

The TV is a mixed bag.

On the one hand, it’s a relatively sharp, saturated display (not that I can rate color reproduction with any expertise) at a good price. It nominally supports 4K@60Hz, unlike the Seiki (the only other contender in the 40", sub-1000 space).

The SmartHub software is very featureful and the remote is fancy, although like most Samsung products, the UI is pretty convoluted. In particular, depending on the display mode and context, the menus will have random items disabled without any explanation why (“Item not available”). You have to unplug HDMI devices in order to enable/disable Game Mode. Who knew? The UI and manual didn’t provide any hints. Along that vein, there seems to be no way to fully disable dynamic contrast: even with everything seemingly off, filling your screen 95% with black will make everything else on the screen suddenly dim, which is unfortunate but somewhat forgivable.

The main reason I’m writing this 2-star review, and the point of contention where I feel the product description here and on Samsung’s webpage is disingenuous and misleading, is that the display is not really 4K@60Hz in the way a consumer would expect, and certainly not “4 times full HD”. From my testing (and confirmed by a Samsung tech support rep), the display itself is only physically capable of 4:4:0 subsampling. You can look up the “Chroma subsampling” page on Wikipedia for some background, but it basically means that for every two vertical pixels, the display can only present one color (but different brightnesses). Unfortunately, HDMI2 does not define 4:4:0 subsampling as a valid subsampling, so when not in SmartHub the display is further downgraded to 4:2:0 subsampling, which is one color (but four brightnesses) for every block of 2x2 pixels. That means that while the display is 4K in luminance (brightness), it’s really only 1080p in chroma (color). In fact, an HDMI2 device can support 4:2:0 without actually supporting the higher bandwidth provided by the spec, so these “HDMI2” ports are only so in the most minimal way possible.

What this means is that the display is fine for TV, and probably fine for gaming (60Hz and general color reproduction is the only thing in this area setting it apart from the Seiki, which at time of writing is a third the cost). It is not good for displaying colored text or sharp drawings. To be clear, it is fine for displaying black-and-white text, since that’s purely luminance.

Frankly, I’m disappointed in Samsung for carefully omitting such a critical spec from their product listings, manuals, and website. It’s disingenuous of Samsung to highlight the HDMI2 advertising point when they don’t support its single most critical consumer-facing feature (4K @60 Hz with no subsampling).

Time to wait for round three of the sub-1000 40" 4K displays…

Amazon.com - Customer Reviews: Samsung UN50HU6950 50-Inch 4K Ultra HD 60Hz Smart LED TV (2014 Model)