SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB Solid State Drive (SDSSDA-240G-G26) [Newest Version] Review ⭐⭐⭐⭐:halfstar:

sandisk

To Buy Or Not Summary

:star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 2242 customers
4.7 out of 5
  • Amazon Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 1023 customers
    4.6 out of 5
  • Best Buy Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::star: by 1219 customers
    4.8 out of 5

Features

• Faster boot-up, shutdown, application load and response
  • Up to 20X faster than your old hard drive
  • Read/write speeds of up to: 530MB/s/440MBs
  • Generous battery life
  • Cool, quiet operation
  • Buy
  • Don’t buy

0 voters

Amazon Review by Z. Kummer :star::star::emptystar::emptystar::emptystar:

130 people found the following review helpful

Slower than competition in same price range

[Update2] A representative from SanDisk responded to this review and asked that I contact SanDisk support, I did so. After several messages back and forth, I am told, "the SSD is performing within the specifications". I hoped I might have a defective drive, or that I had it setup incorrectly...this is not the case; it is simply not a very fast drive and to get the benchmark numbers promised you must use specific benchmark tools that the drive is optimized for. This is the end of my journey...if I had paid the current list price I would be demanding a refund...as I got it for much less on Prime Day, I feel I got my money's worth (but no more). My next SSD will probably be an Intel, maybe some other brand...but certainly not a SanDisk unless the price is just insanely low.

[Update] Before writing this review I tried AHCI and got a BSOD (even after registry changes), so I tested in IDE mode. A fresh install of WIndows 7 allowed me to use AHCI and this improved sequential and 4K-64 performance, but it improved these even more on my other SSD’s, making this drive look even worse compared to older, cheaper drives. 4K performance (the real-world performance indicator) was not affected by switching to AHCI. Sequential speeds with AHCI and buffer flushing turned on: 502/398. 4K = 11MB/40MB. 4K-64 = 134MB/41MB. Don’t be fooled by the sequential numbers…file copies to the drive from a ramdisk only average about 130MBPS, copies from the drive only about 150MBPS…and if there are a lot of small files copy speed both ways drops below 100MBPS, even with all AV and indexing turned off. Time to load Steam games from this drive is almost double what it took to load from my old SSD and copying a folder of MP3’s is actually slower than a 7200RPM 4TB drive. I’m actually considering defragmenting an SSD because this drive is so bad at non-sequential reads and writes. I attached the AHCI benchmark.

The Bad: This drive is sold as “Read/write speeds of up to: 535MB/s/445MBs”. The best I was able to get under any settings was 381//303. That is sequential; non-sequential reads are writes are much slower; considerably slower than what my old Intel 240GB SSD can do. To get the best performance, I had to install the SSD tool from SanDisk and I had to go into drive settings to check “Turn Off Windows Write-Cache Buffer Flushing on this device”, then restart, then uncheck it and restart again. This is on Windows 7. I checked around and others get similar benchmarks if using non-compressible data (if you just write lots of sequential zeros or ones it may be faster, but that is useless of course). I am very disappointed…if I had not gotten it for less than 1/3 MSRP on Prime Day, I’d return it and buy an Intel or Samsung; I already have one of each (both in 240GB) and they are about twice as fast as this SSD in non-sequential reads, and the Intel is a couple years old. Actually, in spite of getting it for under 1/3 MSRP, I may still return it and get a nice Intel 480GB that will be over twice as fast.

The Good: I got it really cheap and it does work, has not failed.

The Unknown: I’ve only run this drive for a few hours so far so I really don’t know how reliable it is. Also, this is the first SSD I have gotten that has a plastic shell instead of aluminum; not sure how this will affect heat and long term reliability. It is slightly lighter because of this, but not enough that you would notice the difference even in a very light weight laptop. Also, every other SSD I’ve bought has come with a spacer to install in systems that rely on the thickness of the drive to hold it securely…this drive did not include such a spacer but my system uses screws so it does not matter to me.

The Last Word: SanDisk makes three tiers of SSD and this is the lowest of them. If you can get a good deal on it and you just want decent low-power performance with quicker loading times than a 7200RPM drive, it may be good enough. Before buying, check out the prices on Intel and Samsung SSDs of similar size; if they are anywhere close, do yourself a favor and go with one of the much better alternatives. I got this on Prime Day and might return it anyway…for the price I see listed at the time of this review, I wouldn’t even consider buying one. I am so disappointed in the performance and so angry at the false numbers that I won’t even be buying microSD from SanDisk anymore; they have lost a customer for a couple years at least, and if I buy from them again it will only be after checking 3rd party benchmarks.

Amazon.com - Customer Reviews: SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB Solid State Drive (SDSSDA-240G-G26) [Newest Version]

Here is a youtube video

SanDisk SSD Plus Unboxing & Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3aySZoI45w

Best Buy Review by GeeksGeek :star::star::star::star::star:

Speeds up Win 7 boot

Bought this SSD after my old Windows 7 machine's HDD died. The old drive would take over 5 minutes to boot completely (OK, maybe I didn't defrag my HDD often enough, but it was still a long time) . The 240 GB SSD was cheaper than the 500 GB SSD at the time of purchase, almost 1/2 the price of the 500GB SSD, so I just bought the 240 and used the rest to buy the 2TB HDD for data storage as described below.

Because of a program I was using I had to stay with a Win7 machine, so I got a refurbished desktop CPU and bought this SSD to use as the system drive and installed a 2TB Western Digital HDD for data storage. Before installing the SSD I read a lot of complaints about the Sandisk and WD cloning software, so I followed a recommendation and used the free version of Macrium Reflect to clone the refurbished machine’s 250 GB system HDD onto this SSD. When done, I pulled out the HDD and installed this SSD, and it booted right up. With the refurbished machine and this SSD the boot only takes 75 seconds, including entering the password.

Use the Sandisk Dashboard monitoring software to monitor health of the SSD. So far mine is running just fine, and be sure and turn “TRIM” on (Trim allows an operating system to inform a solid-state drive (SSD) which blocks of data are no longer considered in use and can be wiped internally.)

In the older Win 7 machines the SATA connections are only 3 GB/s, and this SSD can handle 6 GB/s. But who cares, as it still runs blindingly faster than the HDD.

So far this SDD has been working fine, and if it does die on me, I have the original 250 GB HDD that I can swap back in if necessary.

I’d recommend this SSD to a parent, not just a friend.

Bestbuy.com - Customer Reviews: SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB Solid State Drive (SDSSDA-240G-G26) [Newest Version]