Seagate Backup Plus 4TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (Black) STDR4000100 Review ⭐⭐⭐⭐:halfstar:

seagate

To Buy Or Not Summary

:star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 14890 customers
4.3 out of 5
  • Amazon Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::emptystar: by 12988 customers
    4.2 out of 5
  • Best Buy Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 1895 customers
    4.7 out of 5
  • Walmart Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::halfstar::emptystar: by 7 customers
    3.6 out of 5

Features

• Create easy customized backup plans with included Seagate Dashboard software
  • Quick file transfer with USB 3.0 connectivity
  • USB powered -no power supply necessary
  • Buy
  • Don’t buy

0 voters

Amazon Review by Amazon Reviewer :star::star::star::star::star:

1036 people found the following review helpful

Excellent Hard Drive - Great Price. Pull drives for use in Laptop/PS4.

Hard to go wrong here. If you are using this as an external drive, this product has 2TB in very small space and is USB powered. The drive itself only takes 0.7-2.3W to operate! On Mac OSX 10.9.2 running the included Paragon NTFS driver, I was able to see write rates in 8-10 MB/sec with USB 2.0. On a Windows 7 Machine I averaged 18 MB/Sec; 14 MB/sec running the latest 8.1 update.

I pulled the drives from two of these units (instructions below - photos to be added soon) for use in my laptop. This product is the only way I know of to obtain the 9.5mm tall, 2.5-in 2T Samsung Spinpoint M9T drive(s). Note: the 2TB version has 1 drive, the 4TB has 2 drives. After installing them in my laptop (has 3 internal HDD bays with SATA connections, 1st bay has OS, apps, etc. on 500GB SSD), I tested data txfr speeds. I moved 1.5 TB of data from one drive to another with average speeds of 194 MB/Sec in Windows 8.1. Laptop now has 4.5 TB of hard drive capacity.

Have also successfully installed one in a PS4! Next project will be to install one in a Macbook Pro. Great way to get a lot of internal storage space for little money (Purchased early April 2014 for $103.99 directly from Amazon with 2-day Prime shipping).

Removal Instructions (WARNING -THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY - BUYER BEWARE):

1. Obtain small, flat-bladed screw driver and gently insert between the aluminum top and the plastic bottom.
  2. Rotate screwdriver slightly to pry the top off. At this point slide the screwdriver around the perimeter and the top will come off.
  3. Once the top is off, you will see the top of the internal drive. Carefully remove from the plastic lower without prying or subjecting the drive to significant shock. It is easiest to remove by lifting the side opposite the USB connector.
  4. Once the drive is out of the plastic enclosure, you’ll need to remove some aluminum tape and wax paper from the drive. Be careful when doing this to avoid ESD which may damage drive circuitry.
  5. Once the tape and paper are removed, the USB to SATA board can be carefully removed from the drive. It is an interference fit without any fasteners.
  6. You now have a bare 2TB, Samsung Spinpoint M9T drive that is only 9.5 mm tall! Great for laptops and the PS4.
  7. Install in your new device per your device manufacturer’s instructions.

Enjoy!

Amazon.com - Customer Reviews: Seagate Backup Plus 4TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (Black) STDR4000100

Walmart Review by CoHi :star::star::star::emptystar::emptystar:

Great volume for a great price

I haven't owned this drive long, yet it has performed well on first test. Had difficulty using the backup that came with the drive. I have 3TB to backup and after leaving it overnight, it was in the exact place as when I started the backup and nothing had been written to the drive yet. I went back to the old style backup and just copied the directories I want backed up. The drive has been working hard backing up 2 computers and I am now backing up that combined backup to a second 4TB drive I purchased at the same time. I do wish I could find a drive that has backup software that works on large drives like these...thus the 3 stars. The drive itself is 5 starts.

Walmart.com - Customer Reviews: Seagate Backup Plus 4TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (Black) STDR4000100

thank you :+1:

Seagate Backup Plus Portable Drive 4TB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvfBZFQEiBM

Best Buy Review by GaryB :star::star::star::star::star:

Seagate Back Up Plus 4 TB USB Portable Drive

I was looking for a USB Portable Drive with enough storage space to back up my iPad Air 2, my Laptops 2 HD's, Smartphone, and my Desktops 3 HD's. Well this Seagate lets me plug it into my Linksys WRT1900ACS Router and forget about it. I can back up from any Mobile or Stationary Device, Mac or PC, connected to my Wi-Fi system, using the Seagate Dashboard. This little drive works flawlessly, and, has a ton of space. What's also COOL, is I can unplug it and take it with me at any time I want. NO EXTRA POWER CORD NEEDED. It runs off the 5 volts through the USB cable. I like this little drive because it fits in my shirt pocket. The only thing I can nit pick is, the ON LED light doesn't blink during data transfer like my Toshiba does, but again, no one makes a 4 TB Totally Portable USB Drive except Seagate right now. Being involved with programs in ATM Machines for 30 years and computers for over 40 years I have never had a Seagate HD I did not like. I recommend this little drive, if you are looking for a TON of space, and is TOTALLY PORTABLE. And remember Seagate has been in the Hard Drive Storage Devices Business FOREVER !

Bestbuy.com - Customer Reviews: Seagate Backup Plus 4TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (Black) STDR4000100