• Walmart Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 2 customers
    4.5 out of 5

Features

• Cut the cable and cut monthly fees
  • Watch live HDTV on up to 2 devices simultaneously on your wired network
  • Works with our HDHomeRun DVR software so you can watch, pause and record
  • Expand the number of tuners with multiple HDHomeRun devices
  • Will stream HD via WiFi on an 802.11ac router or SD on an 802.11n compatible router
  • Watch and record in full 1080p resolution where available
  • HDHomeRun streams to DLNA compatible devices on your network
  • TV Antenna required
  • Buy
  • Don’t buy

0 voters

Amazon Review by Eric Koperda :star::star::star::star::emptystar:

304 people found the following review helpful

How to prevail in your quest for the right CableCard

The gadget works fine -- the real challenge is finding a matching CableCard. Comcast declined to ship CableCards to me by mail or bring them to my home on a service visit. (At least in my area; yours may be different.) Instead Comcast invited me on an expedition to its local office.

If your Comcast local office is anything like mine, the customer service counter is staffed by older ladies who are mostly clueless about technology, electronics, and computers. Their perch is patronized by grumpy customers who resent paying the high prices Comcast imposes. The goal of the counter-ladies is to dispense with the grumpy customers swiftly and reach their lunch on time. Behind the counter they keep stacks of set-top boxes, modems, remote controls, cables, etc., and they award these jewels to customers as merited. Over in some forgotten drawer of a dust-covered desk there’s a pile of CableCards too.

The CableCards in the pile all look alike: aluminum case (shiny!), credit-card-sized but thicker, same weight as a pack of gum, indecipherable gibberish written on the back. The CableCards arrived at the pile mainly because nobody wanted them. Maybe a grumpy customer brought them in. Maybe they were found skating around the back of a service van. Maybe they were inherited from that office the next town over when it closed. The ladies learned in training that CableCards could plug-into Comcasts fancier set-top boxes to tune extra channels. They also heard rumors that CableCards were needed for the newest TiVo appliances. They remembered reading a nasty memo explaining how Comcast was legally mandated to hand over CableCards to paying customers without further charge. Yet requests for CableCards were few and far-between; for the most part the CableCards simply sit neglected in their drawer.

Enter our Hero: a man who just purchased an HdHomeRun and is motivated to make it work before his wife discovers its cost. He asks the counter-lady for “an M-card,” quite properly. She knows an M-card is one sort of CableCard, and she knows the CableCards are kept in that drawer in that desk over there in the corner, so she smiles politely and steps away. She pulls open the drawer, leafs through the pile, and notices how much alike all the CableCards appear. Theyre all so shiny (!) and that gibberish printed on the back of each is too small to read anyway. She silently sings a verse of “eenie-meenie-miney-moe,” selects a fine specimen, and delivers it to the hapless customer at the counter. What could go wrong?

If our Hero is to succeed in his noble quest, it is here and now he must assert himself. Lets review the key obstacles.

1. Many of the CableCards in the pile are programmed for use in Comcast set-top boxes. Those same cards will not work in HdHomeRuns or other third-party appliances. Its one or the other.
  2. The counter-lady has never heard of an HdHomeRun (and doesnt care to learn).
  3. The counter-lady cannot distinguish an M-card from other sorts of CableCards that are not M-cards. In fact, the distinction never occurred to her. Shes bewildered by its significance to our Hero.
  4. The counter-lady cannot differentiate a functional CableCard from a faulty CableCard.
  5. A substantial fraction of CableCards in the pile are broken/fried/defective. (Recall the pile constitutes an accumulation of CableCards nobody wanted.)
  6. Lunch time draws near.

Before he retires to his castle, our Hero must examine the CableCard for himself. He is honor-bound to reject any CableCard which

1. Bears a “Motorola” logo (on the front) and a serial number (on the back) which begins with any letter other than “M”.
  2. Bears a “Cisco” logo (on the front) and a serial number (on the back) which begins with any letter other than “P”.
  3. Seems to have endured a game of badminton.
  4. Seems to have been rode hard and put away wet.
  5. Smells like dog poop.

So endeth the lesson.

Amazon.com - Customer Reviews: SiliconDust HDHomeRun CONNECT. FREE broadcast HDTV (2-Tuner)

Best Buy Review by Scott :star::star::star::star::star:

HDHomeRun Connect is the Best OTA Tuner

Best Buy had this on sale for $79.99, so I finally decided to purchase it after much research. As a cordcutter, I'm always looking for a better way to view TV and save money. This device is worth the price and is very easy to install and setup. I was able to scan 39 crystal clear channels using only a flat digital antenna in a window. I suppose if I had a good roof mounted antenna, I would likely get more channels. This is so much simpler than using a TV tuner. You just open the app on your streaming device and scroll through the channel guide for programs to watch. My family likes this very much which makes my life good. The only thing I do not like is the HDHomeRun app, which has a very poor channel guide. I used the following workaround for my specific streaming devices: 1. For my 4K TV, I installed the Live Channels app for Android TV on my Nvidia Shield. This app is nice because it also picks up streaming channels from several other installed apps, so I'm getting about 170 channels. The channel guide in this app is also very good. 2. For my HDTV, I purchased the Channels app from iTunes and installed it on my Apple TV 4. This app is also very nice with an excellent channel guide. I haven't setup the DVR functionality yet on either device, but I don't expect any problems. I will connect a 1TB HD to my Nvidia Shield and I will probably use my iCloud drive for the Apple TV 4. So far I am very satisfied with my purchase.

Bestbuy.com - Customer Reviews: SiliconDust HDHomeRun CONNECT. FREE broadcast HDTV (2-Tuner)

Walmart Review by Codger :star::star::star::star::star:

Really nice device

These little boxes do a great job of taking broadcast TV from an antenna source and making it available over a home ethernet network - no fuss, no muss -- download the free software from their website and it automatically find and configures the boxes for your use. [This review was collected as part of a promotion.]

Walmart.com - Customer Reviews: SiliconDust HDHomeRun CONNECT. FREE broadcast HDTV (2-Tuner)

@wartassault I want it