4.2 out of 5
  • Best Buy Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 4649 customers
    4.6 out of 5
  • Walmart Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 127 customers
    4.4 out of 5

Features

• Bluetooth audio streaming with AAC and apt-X support and Electronic Bass Boost circuitry for added bass emphasis
  • Built-in microphone for hands-free phone calling
  • 40mm drivers for wide frequency response
  • Comfortable around-the-ear design with sophisticated swivel design for portability
  • Rechargeable battery for up to 20 hrs music and passive mode for normal, corded operation without battery
  • Buy
  • Don’t buy

0 voters

Amazon Review by B. Raymond :star::star::star::star::star:

566 people found the following review helpful

I was in Best Buy for two hours trying to figure out which ...

I was in Best Buy for two hours trying to figure out which headphones to buy. I needed to buy them prior to a trip to Australia (17 hour flight) where I would working long hours in a data center. Noise cancellation was at the top of my list to cancel out both aircraft engines and the whine of thousands of servers. I brought my iPhone and listened to everything. Beats, Skull, Sony, Bose, JBL, and others. I started at the high end and worked my way down. There was a huge difference in sound quality between the high end and low end of all the brands but I also found that the top of the line Sony headphones sounded as good as the $400+ Bose and Beats headphones. I debated for a long time on buying these or their non-bluetooth headphone equivalent and decided in the end that I wanted the bluetooth. After traveling around the world flying in all kinds of aircraft and working in data centers for the past month here are my findings.

The Good points…

1. Sound quality is outstanding. Either the high end beats and Bose are over priced, or Sony is undercharging for these.

2. Noise Canceling is not needed. These cancel noise better than most headphones that are marketed with noise canceling. You can’t here anything going on with these on. When you put them on you can’t hear the engines of an airplane and even the roar of the DC becomes a faint back ground noise. Its far better than the noise canceling gear I’ve had in the past.

3. Using them as a headset to make phone calls works very well

4. Battery life is insanely good. I charge them every night and get a 10 hour work day in. They haven’t died on me yet

5. The volume, track, and call answer controls are great. Once you start using them you realize just how we they are placed.

6. They are built solid out of metal and higher quality plastics.

7. Ear Cushions are VERY comfortable for long term wear

8. Very good to work in a DC with. You can stream iTunes from a Mac and walk 35-60 feet away from the mac and still get the stream.

9. Awesome for cube life if you want to tune out your coworkers but still want to here if you have a new email. I have a stand up desk so no wires makes sense.

The Bad

1. If you were looking for non-noise canceling headphones these are not it. They block out all sound to the point where I would never consider wearing these walking down the street. You can’t hear anything. If these headphones had noise canceling printed on the box it would be technically untrue, but effectively truthful.

2. They can get warm if you don’t have a climate controlled place where you are wearing them. There is no breathing on these like a foam cushion would have. However for an office environment they are great.

3. They do no fully fold, but they do pivot which is good enough for me. The headphones would probably be weaker if they can fold. They were definitely more stout than the Beats and Bose models that could fold. I would wager they will last longer than folding ones as long as they are transported correctly.

4. Wall charger would have been nice, but I just use an old blackberry charger and it works fine.

5. No carrying case — probably because they don’t fold…

Amazon.com - Customer Reviews: Sony MDRXB950BT/B Extra Bass Bluetooth Headphones (Black)

Walmart Review by Celloman :star::star::star::star::star:

Tested many and always came back to Sony

I tested over 6 pairs of bluetooth headphones and always came back to SONY. Crisp, clear sound with excellent bass and when you're listening to some Missy Elliot and need a bass boost, these have that boost and it's stunning. As a professional musician, I listen to all genres of music from classical to film to jazz to rock, pop, hip hop, etc and these are excellent across the board. Battery life is amazing. Glad they have the optional audio cord and the mic for phone calls is perfect. These are not just for "bass heads." The bass is NOT overwhelming so much that it drowns out the mids and highs. Sony always delivers and I'm glad I stuck with them!

Walmart.com - Customer Reviews: Sony MDRXB950BT/B Extra Bass Bluetooth Headphones (Black)

thanks

Sony MDRXB950BT/B Extra Bass Bluetooth Headphones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnH82DBE6bg

Best Buy Review by EDMluva :star::star::star::star::star:

Blown Away!!!

After searching tirelessly for the perfect set of headphones, I have finally found them. Coming from the MDR-XB500's I didn't think I could find a better pair, but I proved myself wrong. Long story short, they handle every note with precision but don't break the bank! Sony you've made another superb audio product, and these are such a pleasure to listen too and keep a smile on my face! Before you go blow a few hundred or more, check the Sony's out and you can thank me later!

Price:Listed for $199, luckily some idiot put them in the wrong place in the store, so I got them for only $120, An early Christmas gift from the wifey!

Style: Very modernistic, sexy, and classy although not as fancy as Beats or Sennheiser, but they will catch your eye immediately.

Comfort: Extremely, you can wear these things for however long you desire and they won’t hurt your head like others. They also stay firmly attached while I am dancing up a storm. They feel just like pillows on your ears, so comfy just like the XB-500’s which I love.

Sound Quality: Top Notch and better than competitors such as Beats. The low end on these cans are incredible, and once you hit the Bass Boost feature be prepared to have subwoofers blasted in your ears. No headphones I have ever heard can pound out the bass notes and still sound crisp like these bad boys. The highs and mids both are very well refined and not muddy or sharp, they are evenly balanced and perfect where they can go loud without hurting your ears just like the very best speakers are designed to do,…sound natural without overdoing it. You don’t even need to use an EQ that’s how crystal clear the 950’s are, and to every single genre. I listen to a variety from EDM to Rock to Hip Hop to Pop and then some, trust me they can handle any kind of music you throw at them and won’t distort @ high volume. They sound better than most at a fraction of the cost, literally! I know they aren’t considered audiophile grade but give them a listen and you’ll be surprised my friends!

Build Quality: Wonderful and very durable, not cheap plastic like most.

Battery Life: Amazing, 4 hours to charge, lasts 20 hours!!! Sony supplied an a/v cable in case the battery dies, you still can jam to some good music.

Bluetooth: Great, I can walk about 10 feet outside my apt and they will stay connected. Love that they have a built in mic for calls. Very easy to pair also.

Features: Play, Pause, Volume, Track Up/Down and Bass Boost all on the unit.

Bestbuy.com - Customer Reviews: Sony MDRXB950BT/B Extra Bass Bluetooth Headphones (Black)