3.9 out of 5
  • Best Buy Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 795 customers
    4.4 out of 5
  • Walmart Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 138 customers
    4.3 out of 5

Features

• 5.2 Ch, 725W A/V Receiver (145 W x 7 at 6 ohms).Input and output terminals HDMI Video In/Out (4/1)
  • Composite Video Input (2)
  • Composite Monitor Out (1)
  • Opt Audio Input (2)
  • Coax. Audio Input (1)
  • Analogue Audio Input (4)
  • Headphone Output
  • USB (1 Front:iPhone/WM)
  • MHL (1 Rear)
  • Enhanced use via On Screen Display and streamlined remote
  • Supports high-res file playback via USB
  • Flexible HDMI connectivity with 4 inputs and 1 output
  • Supports 4K pass-through,HDMI Audio Return Channel for playback of TV audio5
  • Buy
  • Don’t buy

0 voters

Amazon Review by Fuzz :star::star::star::star::emptystar:

338 people found the following review helpful

Fine.

Good power. Good sound. It makes my 4 home brewed speakers sing. The USB/mp3 player is nice, the shuffle function can be set for folder or all. Except I cannot seem to find any way to change folders making that moot. Be aware that you will have to connect it to a TV screen to perform many setup functions, like setting speaker levels, naming inputs or tuning in ANY radio stations. There are virtually NO instructions in the included manual. Also be informed that it draws over 20 watts while turned off (Sony calls it standby.) I have my entire basement system on a remote controlled outlet. With TV, sub and cable box it totaled 62 watts 24/7. Startup time is about a minute now. Still faster than the old tube days.

Amazon.com - Customer Reviews: Sony STRDH550 5.2 Channel 4K AV Receiver

Best Buy Review by RobJ :star::star::star::star::star:

Outstanding Performance for Entry Level Receiver

When my 8 year old (and significantly more expensive) Onkyo A/V receiver developed a problem with its video output I decided to look into buying a new unit that would support 4K pass-through. After much research I settled on the Sony STR-DH550, and it was the perfect choice for me. Truth be told, my Onkyo was a great A/V receiver but it's capabilities were way beyond what I actually needed. Due to its age, the Onkyo had no 4K capabilities and the cost to repair it would have been about the same as buying a new unit with newer technology. So I sat down with myself and thought about what it was that I really needed to achieve the results I wanted. My surround system is 5.1 so having a receiver that could drive 9 speakers really was of no benefit to me. I have a fairly good size collection of DVD's and Blu-Ray disks that don't use the newer Atmos surround effects, so that was something that at this point I don't really need either. I find that the Sony STR-DH550 has more than enough power to drive my speakers (my subwoofer is a 10" with it's own 250W built-in amp so the receiver doesn't actually drive the sub) and it has a great amount of flexibility/adjustability that allows me to set the levels for all of my speakers exactly the way I want. The built in speaker calibration function works well and is very easy to use. After running the calibration program I did some additional manual tweaking of the individual speaker settings to get the sound stage I wanted and it sounds great! I think even better than what I had with the Onkyo. The on-screen menus are very basic but I find them easy to navigate and easy to change settings. Both sound quality and picture quality are excellent. I am on the Comcast Xfinity X1 platform and running it through this Sony receiver gives excellent results. The remote control is fairly basic and easy to use; the only drawback is that the buttons are not backlit. This receiver is a "bare bones" entry level unit, but for the price the features are really good and it meets all of my needs with flying colors. Since this is an entry level model there are some limitations with the available connections, i.e. there is no input for a turntable, and the composite inputs (i.e. for a VCR) do not output through the HDMI cable connection to the TV. I do still have a VCR due to a large collection of video tapes, so I purchased from a third party a composite-to-HDMI converter that allows me to connect my VCR through a HDMI input which will then route the output through the HDMI cable to the TV. This was an inexpensive and simple solution for my VCR that works great. So, in conclusion, if you're looking for an inexpensive great receiver to drive your 5.1 surround system, has great sound and picture quality, is capable of both 3D and 4K pass-through, and you don't need a lot of extra "bells and whistles" then this is a unit that you should give some serious consideration.

Bestbuy.com - Customer Reviews: Sony STRDH550 5.2 Channel 4K AV Receiver

Walmart Review by moto747911 :star::star::star::star::star:

62 people found the following review helpful

good receiver,great price

This receiver gets 5 stars from me for price and value.The 4 hdmi in is handy with all my components being hdmi capable except my older cd player which is also connected.Easy setup i thought easy to use and understand.My only critisism is the top volume seems like it could be a little louder (73??)weird top end number i thought but the volume does increase nicely with minimal or no distortion i thought at least, i don't know i'm not a sound expert.I do know what i hear and i think it sounds good with bluray and cd's of course you can choose your sound output music,movies, jazz,concert,etc...I also was impressed with the picture and the 3d pass through no kind of quality loss at all sharp crystal clear picture and great sound i thought.Good receiver great price especially considering what it can do

Walmart.com - Customer Reviews: Sony STRDH550 5.2 Channel 4K AV Receiver

Sony: STRDH550 5.2 Channel 4K AV Receiver

@liesbeth Thanks