Sony XAV-AX100 6.4" Car Play/Android Auto Media Receiver with Bluetooth ⭐⭐⭐⭐:halfstar:

sony-mobile-communications-usa-inc

To Buy Or Not Summary

:star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 143 customers
4.4 out of 5
  • Amazon Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 80 customers
    4.3 out of 5
  • Best Buy Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 55 customers
    4.5 out of 5
  • Walmart Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 8 customers
    4.4 out of 5

Features

• Voice control with Apple Car Play and Android Auto
  • Control and view everything with the 6.4" touch screen
  • Get powerful sound with the 4 x 55 W Dynamic Reality Amp
  • Create virtual speakers on your dashboard with the Dynamic Stage Organizer
  • Ergonomic rotary dial for distraction-free operation
  • Buy
  • Don’t buy

0 voters

Amazon Review by KEVIN :star::star::star::star::star:

113 people found the following review helpful

Clean UI, great sound and nice Apple Carplay option

After loads of research into single DIN receivers with Apple Carply or similar app capability, I'm glad I waited on the Sony AX100. While it's not as "stock" looking as I like it, there aren't many decks out there that fit the mix of clean, simple UI, etc. that I really liked.

Once I started looking and got more interested in having quality and mostly handsfree audio, the double DIN options started to become more attractive. The Alpine is nice, but with the manual controls on the bottom, they’re not great for a Miata…the gear lever would always be in the way. The Pioneer and others we too reliant on the touch screens or I simply didn’t like the interface. Way to busy and flashy, like most aftermarket decks.

This is an initial review, so I may not cover every aspect — so feel free to ask questions.

INSTALLING A DOUBLE DIN (2 DIN)
in the NA (1991 Miata)

I opted to have a professional shop do the install, but I sourced the double DIN chassis conversion bracket from Jass Performance (shipped from Bulgaria!) The old single DIN radio was installed with a decent wiring kit, so we reused that. This combination was almost perfect! The Sony was just about 1mm too wide, so a little work was required to fit the bracket around the face of the XAV-AX100

[…]

The shop ended up mounting the bracket to the tombstone, which worked fine…but I might have mounted it to the chassis instead. The USB cable just barely reached the back of the center console (I installed the I.L. Motorsports version shipped from Germany) and is now connected to a standard Lighting connector for a great iPhone / Carplay experience. Also put in a new leather shift boot from I.L. Motorsports (looks and smells great).

HEAD UNIT REVIEW

Looks and Quality

The physical buttons and knob are one of the major reason I chose this unit. That and the very clean interface – so glad to have a less cluttered and multicolor UI like most other units. Everything about the look and feel is quality. Buttons have great feel and click.

Radio

The tuner is very quick, intuitive and generates great quality. I like the gestures for seeking new channels or changing presets.

EQ/Bass/Etc.

The ability to cheat your ears with Dynamic Stage Organizer is amazing…especially in a Miata where the speakers are low in the door. Using a combination of the 10 level EQ, Bass boost and DSO, it completely transformed the quality. (And we still haven’t put in any really great speakers yet).

Apple Carplay

Worked fantastically, simple, mostly handsfree and the long-push on the volume knob brings up a very fast Siri prompt. Maps, text and audio from Spotify were all amazing. Solid performance with only one glitch with a podcast crashing the Overcast app once or twice, hasn’t been consistently an issue yet.

Customizing the background

It was very easy to add a single image of your own (800px x 480px) via a Windows formatted USB stick must be a JPG file and put the image in a folder or it won’t find it

Screen response, overall performance

It’s a little slow on the very first startup, but really not much worse than the older single DIN CD/stereo deck that we replaced with this new Sony unit. Once it’s running, it’s great, almost iPhone or Android fast. Screen is decent, obviously not a Retina display, but it looks very good and touch inputs are instant.

OTHER OBSERVATIONS

Some downsides to the install in a 1991 car

• No Auto dimmer function, so you have to manually set that in Settings. (not buried too far, but still takes extra steps.

• Noticed the clock didn’t keep time at least once (the date stayed), could be a bug…will keep an eye on that.

• Left side control illumination cannot be customized to match green of the Miata dash/control lights…but the white is better than red or blue found in many other units.

Cool features so far

• Short button push on the volume brings up quick list of functions: Extra Bass setting, EQ, Screen shut off (which is nice since you can only dim the display one level, this allows you to keep playing music, etc. with a completely dark screen and just the Home, Volume, Track select buttons.

Amazon.com - Customer Reviews: Sony XAV-AX100 6.4" Car Play/Android Auto Media Receiver with Bluetooth

Best Buy Review by Wizdumbga :star::star::star::star::star:

Great unit

I bought this unit because it had back up cam, and navigation. But it's not a true navigation, which it's better. It's has the android auto, which 100x easier then most navigation systems. It's good maps! Just say OK Google, and tell it where you want to go, like a stores name and it directing you instantly. I've got a Samsung Galaxy s8 and it works great with hands free calling, reading text message, responding to text, and playing your music on Google play. I've got Google play service so I can pretty much say OK Google play any song there is , and it does. It also has apps like Spotify, Pandora, audible, or whatever you've got on your Android phone. You have to plug it in, but I navigatedon't from Georgia to florida and had it plugged in the whole time and it never overheated like it would have straight plugged to a charger and navigating without this radio. The android auto show you contacts picture on the full screen when they call and it's super easy to use. Only thing I wish could be better is the saved radio station buttons and the channel surfing buttons are kind of small and not super easy when driving.

Bestbuy.com - Customer Reviews: Sony XAV-AX100 6.4" Car Play/Android Auto Media Receiver with Bluetooth

Sony XAV-AX100 Car Stereo - Full Review - Bluetooth, Apple Carplay and Android Auto

Walmart Review by JtCe :star::star::star::star::star:

Great Jeep Radio

Bought this for my 2007 Wrangler Unlimited and it provides all the upgrades I needed: Bluetooth, Camera Connection, Android Auto and great sound. There are a few bugs; most noticeable is the radio's inability to maintain time. This might be due to a wiring issue on my end but it is not a show stopper with all the other goodies. Over all it looks great and sounds great. Volume nob is nice, but a little small.

Walmart.com - Customer Reviews: Sony XAV-AX100 6.4" Car Play/Android Auto Media Receiver with Bluetooth

@patadm not sure