Sony XB950N1 Extra Bass Wireless Noise Canceling Headphones, Black ⭐⭐⭐⭐:halfstar:

sony

To Buy Or Not Summary

:star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 1820 customers
4.5 out of 5
  • Amazon Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::emptystar: by 430 customers
    4.2 out of 5
  • Best Buy Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 1300 customers
    4.6 out of 5
  • Walmart Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::emptystar: by 90 customers
    3.9 out of 5

Features

• Industry-leading digital noise cancelling technology. Connectivity Technology: Wireless
  • Feel the power of EXTRA BASS
  • High quality wireless audio with Bluetooth and NFC
  • Optimize your sound settings with the Sony Headphones Connect app
  • Enjoy broad frequency response
  • Buy
  • Don’t buy

0 voters

Amazon Review by :star::star::star::star::emptystar:

274 people found the following review helpful

These headphones are definitely worth your consideration

Finally. Headphones done well. Ive been on a solid 3 month hunt. Buying and returning until my head was spinning but the Sony XB950N1 is a welcomed addition to the long line of over-the-ear bluetooth headphones Ive tried. These headphones arent perfect but theyre good at everything they attempt to do. And thats whats been hard to find a pair of headphones that does all things well. Dont get me wrong, there are headphones that do some things better, much better, but those end up falling short in other critical areas. So I welcome the Sony XB950N1s as the best all-around headphone out there, for me at least.

First things first. Comparing these to their predecessor
The model number of these is slightly deceiving, and it may be something that ends up hurting Sonys ability to market these. Yes, their chassis looks like their predecessor, the XB950BT, but thats where the similarities stop. Firstly, the new XB950N1 is a fully folding headphone with rotating ear cans. The cans are bulky due to the large pads so they dont fold super compact like say a pair of Bose QC35 or Sonys own MDR-1000X, but its nice that theyll fold up and fit nicely in the front pocket of your backpack. The connection points on the 950N1s are beefier than the older model so they should stand up to more abuse than their predecessors. The sound quality in the N1 is improved over the BT. They have noise cancelling that works fairly well, the B1 did not have a noise cancelling option. Of course, Sonys also recently released the XB950B1 headphones which dont have noise cancelling at $50 less than these. I decided to go with NC.

The 950N1s have improved controls as it feels like the spring mechanism in the jog switch is tighter, which is a good thing to keep from skipping or rewinding music instead of pressing the play/pause button. The N1s feature Bluetooth 4.0, while the BTs were stuck on 3.0. The BTs featured a microphone that was poor at phone call quality, but the N1s have remedied that with an improved microphone. And the biggest bonus is that the N1s are made to work with Apple devices, the BTs were not. Sure the BTs will play music, answer phone calls and basic stuff, but they were incompatible with Apples hands-free Siri assistant. That was a huge let down from Sony, but you dont have to worry about that with the N1. The packaging even proudly displays the Apple compatibility sticker.

Better than the best
So what makes the Sony XB950N1 better than the headphones Ive tested? For me, they perform extremely well for my demands and while they do have some shortcomings over others in certain areas, they outshine their competition in others and end up being the best in class. The list of headphones Im comparing these to includes the Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2, Skullcandy Crusher Wireless, Sony MDR-1000X, Bose QuietComfort 35, Sony XB950BT, and the new Sennheiser HD4.40BT.

These arent reference headphones. Theyre bass-heavy, crank it up, and pretend your ears are only 16-years-old headphones. Theyre loud but good. They get louder than you should really want, but high volume output is there if you want to risk it. The soundstage is cramped but theres plenty of coverage in the highs to lows to make up for the lack of breadth. Pound for pound, the Skullcandy Crushers will give you more bass but its at the sacrifice of quality in the mids and highs making the Sonys a much better choice. Of course, the Bose QC35 and Backbeat Pro 2s offer great sound, as do the HD 4.40s, but the QC35 doesnt let you turn off noise-cancelling. And its noise-cancelling is so good that theyre only good for use in isolated environments where you really dont want to hear anything but the music (or phone call). I want the ability to turn off NC and these Sonys feature it. The HD 4.40 were just too uncomfortable and the Backbeat Pro 2s had an amazing array of features that didnt work that well. Sony the 950N1s top them overall.

The bluetooth range on the 950N1 is superb. After a solid week of use I havent experienced one dropout, even at 30 feet away through walls and floors.

The 950N1 features a power light that flashes every few seconds to let you know theyre powered on. This was a feature I really missed when trying the HD 4.40.

The noise cancelling performance on the 950N1 is certainly their weakest attribute. They pale in comparison to the Bose QC35 and Sony MDR-1000x, but the NC does work to reduce moderate external noise like a dishwasher or refrigerator. I havent tried them on an airplane but because they still let a lot of my air conditioning units noise in, as compared to the MDR-1000x and QC35s, theyre just not as good. So if high quality NC is a critical component to your headphone requirement then the 950N1 may not be right for you.

Theres a nice feature thats not mentioned anywhere in the manual or elsewhere that I could find. If your headphones disconnect from your device for a period of time they will auto shut-off to save on battery. This is a pretty nice feature should you take your device with you and forget to turn the headphones off.

As far as comfort is concerned, the 950N1 could be more comfortable. If Sony had made the ear pad openings taller it would be a huge help but that might sacrifice their great sound leakage performance. If youve looked at the Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT know this. The ear openings are very small in both width and height. Ive discovered that its the width that really matters. And the Sony XB950N1 are wide enough for my ears. Are they as comfortable as the Bose QC35s? No way. The Bose lead the pack in comfort but your neighbors will hear every little thing you play as the sound leakage on the Bose QC35s is terrible.

So, with everything that the Sony XB950N1s offer, theyre a pretty good all around pair headphones. Good sound, good comfort, good quality build with compactness, good controls, decent noise cancelling, hands-free operation with your device, big bass for bass lovers, and while nothing on the Sony XB950N1 stands out as stellar, they do everything pretty well so theyre a clear winner in my book.

Amazon.com - Customer Reviews: Sony XB950N1 Extra Bass Wireless Noise Canceling Headphones, Black

Walmart Review by Basudeb :star::star::emptystar::emptystar::emptystar:

Sound Does not reach my heart But Best BASS

1.I am unable to change the volume or next or previous song when i use via Cable. 2.Both of my ear getting hot when i use it 15 minutes 3.Its Really great to control BASS Via android App 4.Its So heavy to wear a long time on head. 5.I am unable to make call or receive any call when i use this headphone via cable

Walmart.com - Customer Reviews: Sony XB950N1 Extra Bass Wireless Noise Canceling Headphones, Black

The BEST Bass Headphones? Sony XB950N1!

Best Buy Review by Panther68 :star::star::star::star::star:

Probably the BEST Stereo Bluetooth Headset

Pre-review thought: To be completely honest, I dont have high hopes for Sonys just-released MDR-XB950N1 headphones. I have several corded headphones, & two stereo Bluetooth headsets. My current go to for music-listening is a v-moda Crossfade M-100 with an Onkyo DAC-HA200 external DAC/Amp. The Sony headphones cant compare/competeright? Read the ENTIRE review, and we shall see. For the review, I focused on the Sony headphones, making minor comparisons to the v-moda M-100. I am not an audiophile, & I dont have a trained earbut, as a musician, I can discern audio quality differences.

UNBOXING, AND INITIAL IMPRESSIONS:
The outer box is on-par with others, although a better job than Sonys usual packaging. The inner box is your basic black cardboard box, except that the lids inside is nicely-lined with a soft, black, flannel-like material. The plastic cradle that the headphones are in is thicker (more sturdy) than usual, & the top has a flat black leather-like texture, giving the internal packaging somewhat of a premium feel. Included with the usual papers are a USB/microUSB cable for charging (and possible firmware upgradesmore on this later), a double-ended 3.5mm cord, and a carrying pouch. NOTE: 3.5mm-to-1/4 adapter is NOT included.

SETUP:
There are two ways to connect the headphones: wireless (standard Bluetooth, or NFC), & wired (for greater frequency range). If your device has NFC, you pair by tapping the headphones left cup to the devices NFC contact point.

COMFORT & EASE OF OPERATION:
Controls are well placed, simplifying operation: power, BassBoost, & Noise Cancelation buttons, plus USB & 3.5mm ports, are on the left side; the volume, play/pause, next/fast-forward, & back/rewind controls on the right. Earpads are a soft memory foam, covered in a soft vinyl-like material (great for comfortable extended listening). The headband is solid, being made of metal & hard plastic, with plush padding along the top. The cups rotate 90 degrees to the rear, and fold inward, compact enough to store almost anywhere.

SOUND QUALITY:
First, I tested noise-cancelation capabilitiesand where better than inside a car, with the car stereo blasting music different than whats playing through the headphones (not a sound booth, but works equally well). When I listen to the radio, the volume is typically at 5 (usual 3-5 range, rarely exceeding 7), so 5 was my start-point. NOTE: the MDR-XB950N1s volume is lower when BassBoost is on. With headphones at a typical listening volume, & car stereo on, I first tested with BassBoost turned on, playing several different songs. The car stereo reached 22-24 before I could hear it. Turning BassBoost off (same songs), the volume reached 33-34 before I noticed. In both tests, the car stereos music was barely a whisper above the headphones, thus no interfere. Car volume had to be 5-7 higher before I truly noticed, & the car stereo music began to clash. Conclusion: MDR-XB950N1 Noise Cancelation works extremely well.

For corded music tests & comparison, I used Sonys own cord with the MDR-XB950N1 (so as to not alter its original sound), as opposed to using the v-modas higher-quality cord. With CDs first, I listened to Sheila Es Butterfly, Casting Crowns Voice of Truth, and Earth Wind & Fires Got To Get You Into My Life. On Butterfly, the sound quality was slightly flat, timbales sounded slightly muffled, & cymbals were discernable, but lacked their usual crispness. For all songs, vocals were fairly accurately, but slightly muffled, percussion was somewhat flat, & guitars sounded soft. So far, things werent looking good for the MDR-XB950N1.

For the remaining tests, I switched to MP3s, playing Tim Capellos I Still Believe (The Lost Boys soundtrack), Duran Durans A View To A Kill, Kitaros The Light of the Spirit, Matthew Wests Forgivness, & Marvin Gayes Whats Going On, with tests in this order: corded into phone, corded via DAC, then wireless. The corded into phone results were similar to the CD results, except more accurate & closer to the sound of the v-moda headphonesbut still far from perfect. The corded via DAC were much better. To be honest, the results are hard for me to believethe difference between headphones was barely noticeable. Holding one cup from each to my ears at the same time, I thought I was listening to a single headset. Last up was Bluetooth (M-100s still wired)and this is where the Sony MDR-XB950N1 shined. I might go so far as to say they outperformed my M-100s. The sound was crisp, clean, & clear. I actually had to turn the volume DOWN on my GS7 Edge, so as to not blast my ears.

SONY HEADPHONES CONNECT APP:
In short, the app is not a good thingits somewhat of a bad thing: Surround (VPT) effects are all but useless. Theres little difference between them. A couple of them stood outbarelybut never enough to make a real difference. I recommend keeping this setting Off. At the same time, I still recommend installing the app, as it has other useful features, most importantly the remaining battery time.

THE GOOD: When used for what these are designed formobile devices playing compressed-format music (MP3, AAC, FLAC, etc), theyre outstanding, producing clean, bright (but not overly/unrealistically), accurate, crisp sound.

THE BAD: The included 3.5mm cord isnt very good. If using a cord, replace the included cord with one of higher quality. The Headphones Connect apps Surround (VPT) settings produce no discernable difference, & lowers the volume.

THE UGLY: Do NOT use these for listening to CDs, as they ruin the audio quality.

CLOSING THOUGHTS:
These are not headphones to use when listening to CDs. Overall sound is good, but no better than $25-50 over/on-the-headphones (youd be better off with $50 in-ear headphones). If your intent is listening to music on mobile devices, thats what these are forand theyre great at it. For corded listening, the included cord is good, but replacing it with a high-quality cord will produce better sound. For listening via Bluetooth, this is where these are the best. Sony did an incredible job designing these, outperforming almost all other Bluetooth headphones Ive listened to.

Having viewed Sonys webpage for the MDR-XB950N1 headphones, theres the possibility that the firmware installed can be updated. Sony hasnt posted anything on the product pageyetas these were just released. However, that being said, if you go to Sonys product page, and scroll down to the Support section, you will find a tab labeled Drivers & Software. I am not claiming to know there will be firmware updates, nor am I stating that there wont beall Im saying is, considering theyve added that tab to the products support section, theres a high possibility/probability that firmware updated could be forthcoming.

If youre in the market for stereo Bluetooth headphones, you will be hard-pressed to find anything betterat this price-point, or any other. The Bose QuietComfort 35 headphones are equally good, but youll pay $100 more. The Beats Solo3 cost $30 less, but they dont sound as good, plus you lose Noise Cancelation. The Beats Studio Wireless has Noise Cancelation, and costs $20 less, but, again, they dont sound as good. If you truly want the best, you can get the Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8, or Senheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless, but theyll each cost you $500+. Finally, you could get Sonys MDR-1000X which will sound slightly better, and includes Noise Cancelationbut youll pay $150 more for them.

FINAL VERDICT:
For corded listening w/ DAC, the v-moda M-100s will remain my go to. For corded listening w/o DAC, the MDR-XB950N1s can almost rival the M-100s. If you only want to listen to music on-the-go via Bluetooth, GET THESE HEADPHONESits that simple. These are now my go to for Bluetooth listening.

At the beginning of my review, I asked a question about the ability of the MDR-XB950N1s being able to compete/compare against the M-100s. Im here to say that my internal assumptionalthough I never stated itwas wrong. I had assumed that the M-100 would outperform the MDR-XB950N1. The truth is, they are just as goodand, in some ways, better. The M-100 headphones are corded-only, whereas the MDR-XB950N1 headphones are Bluetooth, plus they work when corded. Added to that is Active Noise Cancelation, which the M-100s dont have. If you want the BEST sounding Bluetooth headphones, with Active Noise Cancelation, for the lowest price, theres only one choice: Sonys MDR-XB950N1 headphones.

Disclaimer: This product was provided free, or at reduced cost, for the purpose of reviewing the product. Nevertheless, the above review, be it positive, negative, or anywhere in-between, is a 100% honest review, and the price paid played absolutely no part in my review.

Bestbuy.com - Customer Reviews: Sony XB950N1 Extra Bass Wireless Noise Canceling Headphones, Black

@barbarogailee this is cool