TP-Link N300 DOCSIS 3.0 (8x4) Wireless Wi-Fi Cable Modem Router, Certified for Comcast XFINITY, Time Warner Cable, Cox Communications, Charter, Spectrum (TC-W7960) Review ⭐⭐⭐⭐:emptystar:

tp-link-usa

To Buy Or Not Summary

:star::star::star::star::emptystar: by 16703 customers
3.9 out of 5
  • Amazon Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::emptystar: by 16680 customers
    3.9 out of 5
  • Best Buy Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::halfstar: by 23 customers
    4.5 out of 5

Features

• Eliminate your cable modem monthly rental fee
  • Item is CABLE MODEM ROUTER. Compatible with cable internet plans up to 150Mbps*
  • Great for Comcast Xfinity Internet Extreme 150, TWC 100M, and Cablevision Internet Service
  • Game, stream, and download at Wi-Fi speeds up to 300Mbps
  • Up to 343Mbps download and 143Mbps upload speeds (based on cable provider’s service)
  • Four Gigabit Ethernet ports for lightning-fast wired connections
  • Channel bonding of up to 8 downstream and 4 upstream channels
  • 2-year warranty and unlimited 24/7 technical support
  • Buy
  • Don’t buy

0 voters

Amazon Review by skintigh :star::star::star::emptystar::emptystar:

1149 people found the following review helpful

WARNING: DO NOT TRUST THESE REVIEWS

The reviews you are reading are most likely not for the product you are looking at [or maybe they are, see edit2]. At least 3 different products have had their reviews all dumped together here, and there are multiple versions of each of those 3 different products. Each of those products has different chipsets, CPUs, flash chips and RAM, and even between version 8 and version 9 of one the N300 2T2R they used an entirely different brands of CPU, chipset, etc.

Be sure to verify you are reading a review of the EXACT model you are looking at. I just bought a N300 2T2R hoping to upgrade it to dd-wrt, but it is v9 and dd-wrt only supports N300 2T2R (TL-WR841N) v8.

Edit: v9 may be supported now?

When I wrote this review there was no support and no plans to support TL-WR841N v9, and the “reason” was v9 was a “China-only model,” which it clearly is not. Since then several commenters have posted that support has been added and it is (partially?) working for them. However, when I go to […]and a search for TL-WR841N version 9 support doesn’t come up. Personally, I returned this unit and bought another, and then turned a EeeBook into a router when I got impatient waiting for it to arrive, so I can’t comment from personal experience.

Edit 2:

Amazon may have fixed the issue with the reviews being mixed together, I’m not sure how to confirm this. It can’t hurt to double check as you read reviews.

I also wanted to say that the 3 stars was due to the review mix-up and the version/hackability issue of the router I ordered. I have no other complaints, so if you are planning to use this router as-is with stock firmware consider this a 5 star review. RCN gave me one of these when I signed up for service and it’s worked great. Rarely it needs rebooting, but that may be the modem’s fault.

Amazon.com - Customer Reviews: TP-Link N300 DOCSIS 3.0 (8x4) Wireless Wi-Fi Cable Modem Router, Certified for Comcast XFINITY, Time Warner Cable, Cox Communications, Charter, Spectrum (TC-W7960)

Best Buy Review by FamilyMan :star::star::star::star::star:

Quick Easy Install and Fast downloads

Hi, although i am was given this modem for free to review, I used to be the Director of Product Management for Cable Modems for a company which unfortunately is no longer alive. Yet , my point is that i know cable modems. This new modem by TP-Link is excellent. My old one was several years old and due for a replacement. The TC-W7960 is a great family modem. It literally took me minutes to install. I unhooked the old one, hooked up the new one (following the correct procedure - very important for Xfinity self-activation and BAM! Set up, i then went to the Comcast site, which automatically sent me to the self activation page. You just supply them with your Comcast ID (be sure to have this at the ready) and the the modem serial number and BAM! fully set up, this was so much faster and easier than in my past setting up of cable modems.. So why was this a good family modem. I did several Speed Tests and i was able to confirm that i had more than doubled by download speeds! This modem supports up to 300Mbps downloads! It is also a good family modem because it has Parental controls and a private Guest Network controls. And on top of that, if you need wifi - it is 2-in-1 - it has a built in 300Mbps 2.4GHz modem built right into the modem itself! Thus saving you money overall if you are family cost conscious like myself.

Bestbuy.com - Customer Reviews: TP-Link N300 DOCSIS 3.0 (8x4) Wireless Wi-Fi Cable Modem Router, Certified for Comcast XFINITY, Time Warner Cable, Cox Communications, Charter, Spectrum (TC-W7960)