yi-technology

To Buy Or Not Summary

:star::star::star::star::emptystar: by 557 customers
4.1 out of 5
  • Amazon Customer Reviews
    :star::star::star::star::emptystar: by 557 customers
    4.1 out of 5

Features

• Records 4K/30fps (60mbps), 1080p/120fps, 720p/240fps video and 12MP photos using a 155A wide-angle lens with F2.8 aperture
  • Built-in 2.19" LCD touchscreen with 640 x 360 high resolution for easy previewing and shooting. Designed with Gorilla Glass Retina to resist scratches and daily impact
  • World’s leading technologies: Ambarella A9SE75 Chip, Sony IMX377 Image Sensor, 7 layers of glass lenses, and Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) to guarantee ultra-clear and stable 4K video resolution and 12M pixel photos even in low light conditions
  • Rechargeable 1400mAh high capacity 4.4V lithium-ion battery records up to 120 minutes of 4K/30fps video with a single charge. High performing cooling system prevents YI 4K Action Camera of overheating and enables stable video recording. Built-in Bluetooth and high speed 5GHz/2.4GHz Wi-Fi support for wireless remote control and the YI Action App for instant photo and video editing
  • Highly recommend to use the microSD cards in the recommended list for the best compatibility and the best 4K recording performance. Please find the full list in the photo gallery.
  • Buy
  • Don’t buy

0 voters

Amazon Review by Deejay Scharton :star::star::star::star::star:

267 people found the following review helpful

Almost as good as a hero 4 Black at a better price!

I just received the Yi 4k action cam from my pre-order a few months ago. There was no tracking or now shipping information; it simply showed up. The camera feels well made and the battery is noticeably larger than my hero 4 black edition. The touch screen is very easy to use and very responsive and controls, in general, are easier to use than a hero 4.

Build quality is in the same category as the hero 4 so if you plan on taking it into extreme weather or water, you’ll need a case. I’m still on the fence about image quality.

My first impressions are:
The field of view isn’t as wide as my hero 4 back
Size is almost Identical
Screen on the back of the Yi is beautiful
Audio is good, but the USB audio option on the hero is better
Video quality is similar though Hero 4 has more contrast

I’ll post more as I get a chance to test these two cameras out. The Hero 4 is getting a run for the money with the Yi 4k action camera, but there are a few trade-offs’.

Update 7/13/16: I had a chance to download and setup the Yi action camera app on my Samsung S7. Setup and linking my phone with the camera takes 1/4 of the time it takes on my hero 4 black edition. Once linked, the video playback is clear with very low latency, compared to my hero 4, I would say almost real time (maybe 20-30ms delay) and the controls are very easy to use. Video playback via phone is also very snappy.

The boot time on the Yi 4k action cam is less than 2 seconds which is also much much faster than the Hero 4 black edition. I’ve also tested out the image stabilization at 1080p, and it is very impressive. Handling shake almost completely disappears.

On the downside, there is no HDMI output so if you are looking for that option, you are out of luck. Also, while the price is $249, if you want a case $12, External charger and batteries $18, none cellphone remote $20, you should really consider this a $300 action camera if you want any of the extras that come with many of the gopro lineup.

Update 7/14/16: Updated Firmware to version 1.0.9 from the Yi website. Found an AV out via usb feature added under the advanced tab in video mode. Tested the Yi action camera out with a 128GB memory card and with 4k video recording on I now have the ability to record 4 hours 32 min on a 128GB card. Also here’s the list of possible options for photograph/video recording:

Photo mode
Timer mode
Burst mode
Video mode
Time lapse Video mode
Slow motion mode
Time Lapse Photo mode
Loop mode
Video+photo mode

Update 7/17/16: A number of people have asked about grayed out features and file splitting so I thought I’d add this to the review. Basically some extra features like Image Stabilization, auto low light, and adjust lens distortion are only available in certain settings and modes. If you are shooting “4k ultra” all three of those features will be grayed out. Switch over to 1080p and you’ll have all three of them available. This is because the camera is using the extra pixels on the sensor to stabilize, add light, and correct distortion. As for file splitting. Mine splits files at the 4GB mark which is a limit of the file system used on the card (FAT32), this gives you about 7 to 8 min worth of video in each clip at the cameras data rate. If you would like to correct that problem, format your memory cards in the camera and your cards will be formatted to exFAT. Also, note that when the camera creates a file it also creates a smaller version of the file with the label “_thm” that version of the file is used for cell phone wifi viewing and is basically a low-resolution copy of the actual recording. Hope the helps!

7/18/16 Firmware version 1.0.12 out, fixes some memory card issues and adds housing mode that allows camera modes to be changed with a long press.

7/28/16 Firmware Version 1.0.13 is out. Yi has added “Yi color” and “flat” color modes. Very similar to Protune mode on my hero 4 black edition.

8/5/16 Firmware Version 1.1.0 is out. The start-up screen has been updated with a list of recommended MicroSD cards and a sharpness setting has been added.

9/19/16 Firmware version 1.2.3 is out. They’ve added 24fps in 4k and in other modes. Yi color and flat picture style has changed a small amount and 24fps in 4k now has the label “ultra”. “In house mode” has been updated for single button use and image stabilization now works in 2.7k mode. Low light was also added to the menu.

Amazon.com - Customer Reviews: YI 4K Action Camera (US Edition) Night Black

Yi 4k action cam vs hero 4 black Image stabilization

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ona84wA6cnw